Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Thread: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

  1. #1
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Britain's Defence Secretary Liam Fox has defended his comments calling on retailers to ban the forthcoming Medal of Honor video game from their stores.

    On Sunday, Mr Fox said he was "disgusted" by the game, which allows players to adopt the role of the Taliban in the Afghan war.
    The game's publishers Electronic Arts said the minister had portrayed parts of the game inaccurately.

    The government said Dr Fox was expressing a "personal view".

    BBC News - Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quiet frankly, i agree with him. EA is playing a dangerous game (excuse the pun).
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,287
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    I understand you have personal feelings involved bro.

    But at the end of the day...

    "It's just a game".

    I don't see this being any more or less shocking then the airport scene from CODMW2

  3. #3
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Where was all the bitching when I could play as the Nazis in a million WWII games?
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #4
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I understand you have personal feelings involved bro.

    But at the end of the day...

    "It's just a game".

    I don't see this being any more or less shocking then the airport scene from CODMW2
    To be honest with you, when i say i agree with Fox, i agree in the sense that it is insensitive. I know it's just a game but its quiet distasteful. The thing with the airport scene is, that has no relevance to current modern day conflict. In COD, it is well known you can play terrorists (on multiplayer anyway), but MoH takes it to a new level by introducing a Taliban storyline. But being the free market guy i am, the game developers have a right to publish and create this kind of storyline and game.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 08-24-10 at 02:07 AM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,287
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    To be honest with you, when i say i agree with Fox, i agree in the sense that it is insensitive. I know it's just a game but its quiet distasteful. The thing with the airport scene is, that has no relevance to current modern day conflict. In COD, it is well known you can play terrorists (on multiplayer anyway), but MoH takes it to a new level by introducing a Taliban storyline.
    Good point.

    But being the free market guy i am, the game developers have a right to publish and create this kind of storyline and game.
    I'd like to see what the context of it is. If I purposefully get pwned by an RAF air strike at the end, I'll be happy with it

  6. #6
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Where was all the bitching when I could play as the Nazis in a million WWII games?
    What games, for example?
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #7
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    What games, for example?
    As I recall the Command and Conquer series has a Soviet campaign. There are plenty of games that allow one to play as a bad guy.

  8. #8
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    As I recall the Command and Conquer series has a Soviet campaign. There are plenty of games that allow one to play as a bad guy.
    With all due respect C&C is a strategy game. COD/MoH is a full immersive first person storyline campaign. The experience is far more personal and in those regards, realistic.

    Secondly, what's wrong with the soviets? They where commo's, sure, and they did bad things like most commo regimes do. But they weren't no Nazis and they sure as hell weren't terrorists.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 08-24-10 at 02:30 AM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #9
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    With all due respect C&C is a strategy game. COD/MoH is a full immersive first person storyline campaign.
    I don't really see a meaningful distinction there. Strategy games have storylines too, which can be just as immersive. C&C Red Alert even had FMV of an actor playing Lenin who assigned the missions, IIRC. There are plenty of games out there that don't exactly live up to our better angels, is my point.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-24-10 at 02:33 AM.

  10. #10
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I don't really see a meaningful distinction there. Strategy games have storylines too, which can be just as immersive. C&C Red Alert even had FMV of an actor playing Lenin who assigned the missions, IIRC. There are plenty of games out there that don't exactly live up to our better angels, is my point.
    The C&C storyline is nowhere near as realistic on a personal level as first person shooters. Even graphically they leave room to have a far less profound effect on the player. Would you not agree? I still dont see what's wrong with a soviet campaign. IMO it isn't comparable to a terrorist storyline aimed at attacking NATO soldiers.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •