Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86

Thread: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

  1. #11
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    The C&C storyline is nowhere near as realistic on a personal level as first person shooters. Even graphically they leave room to have a far less profound effect on the player. Would you not agree?
    I disagree, I think you're drawing a mistaken conclusion here. I don't really find first person shooters all that realistic, and certainly not any more so than any other genre of game. And to see how truly immersed people can be in a strategy game, just take a look at the popularity of Starcraft in South Korea.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I still dont see what's wrong with a soviet campaign. IMO it isn't comparable to a terrorist storyline aimed at attacking NATO soldiers.
    So how is that different than playing soviets attacking NATO soldiers? Or playing aliens attacking space marines, for that matter? How about Grand Theft Auto? Bottom line is they are just video games, they aren't real. It's a game, it's not some form of brainwashing.

    This seems like it's dovetailing into the larger debate of whether video games cause violence. There's really no evidence to support this proposition.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-24-10 at 02:49 AM.

  2. #12
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I disagree, I think you're drawing a mistaken conclusion here. I don't really find first person shooters all that realistic, and certainly not any more so than any other genre of game. And to see how truly immersed people can be in a strategy game, just take a look at the popularity of Starcraft in South Korea.
    You do not think FPS storyline's have a far more personal impact? Because i can wager that is the case for many people, because that is the very nature of the genre first person. To be able to play a terrorist individual, see the conflict through there eye's, and target other troops through means of suicide and so on. Strategic games involve placing units in real time and fighting in a strategy environment. It's very impersonal imo.

    So how is that different than playing soviets attacking NATO soldiers? Or playing aliens attacking space marines, for that matter? How about Grand Theft Auto? Bottom line is they are just video games, they aren't real. It's a game, it's not some form of brainwashing.
    I do not advocate it's removal, and i know its a game. But it is still tasteless. Considering your suggestions have no relevance to past or modern day conflict (Soviets attacking the US/NATO directly or space marines invading us) it is not a valid argument. As for GTA, the entire concept of the game is fictious (and IMO quiet unrealistic in comparison with these games). Unfortunately Afghanistan is real, our war there is real and so is the Taliban. I'm sure 10 year's down the line creating this sort of game wouldn't be so controversial, but because this conflict is very much a part of our modern life as Westerners, it's a different story.

    This seems like it's dovetailing into the larger debate of whether video games cause violence. There's really no evidence to support this proposition.
    My argument is merely the fact that it is tasteless and insensitive to our soldiers and community and that game developers should take more care when running through mine fields.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 08-24-10 at 03:05 AM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  3. #13
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    The game's publishers Electronic Arts said the minister had portrayed parts of the game inaccurately.

    The government said Dr Fox was expressing a "personal view".

    BBC News - Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quiet frankly, i agree with him. EA is playing a dangerous game (excuse the pun).
    Tasteless games tend to be the most fun.

    All forms of GTA, that I've played, are a trip.
    Doing drive bys on a bicycle is priceless.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #14
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    08-26-10 @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    With all due respect C&C is a strategy game. COD/MoH is a full immersive first person storyline campaign. The experience is far more personal and in those regards, realistic.

    Secondly, what's wrong with the soviets? They where commo's, sure, and they did bad things like most commo regimes do. But they weren't no Nazis and they sure as hell weren't terrorists.
    At the time, they were thought of as that bad. It's all just hype. Anyway, you can play as Afghan rebel dudes wearing bandanas and crap on MWII right now. Don't tell me those are security force guys... Tango Sucka! lol

  5. #15
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    I dont really see anything wrong with the game or why having a Taliban storyline is any worse than having any other kind of storyline.

    BF2 had you playing as Chechen rebels and insurgents from Unspecifiedistan. Just Cause had you aiding drug cartels and South American rebel groups.

    Are they worried this might generate sympathy for the Taliban? I dont think that's a well-founded worry if that's the case
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  6. #16
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    With all due respect C&C is a strategy game. COD/MoH is a full immersive first person storyline campaign. The experience is far more personal and in those regards, realistic.

    Secondly, what's wrong with the soviets? They where commo's, sure, and they did bad things like most commo regimes do. But they weren't no Nazis and they sure as hell weren't terrorists.
    You don't know history do you? How many Soviets died at the hands of their Gov't? I'll give you a hint, it's higher then the number of Jews Hitler killed.

    On Topic, I have no desire to play a game that places you as "the Taliban".

    MOH series sucks anyhoots.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #17
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    On Topic, I have no desire to play a game that places you as "the Taliban".
    Just so we're clear, I'm not criticizing you for your point of view, but I have to ask why.

    MOH has decent gameplay, but they went down a serious WTF road with Airborne. Since when do the Nazis have a huge doom fortress with flakk cannons and elite stormtroopers that HAND WIELD MG42 machine guns?
    Last edited by Hoplite; 08-24-10 at 04:35 AM.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  8. #18
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Just so we're clear, I'm not criticizing you for your point of view, but I have to ask why.

    MOH has decent gameplay, but they went down a serious WTF road with Airborne. Since when do the Nazis have a huge doom fortress with flakk cannons and elite stormtroopers that HAND WIELD MG42 machine guns?
    True that. But I really liked the way you aimed. Being able to aim down the sight and lean in certain directions. Plus dropping in anywhere you wanted was cool too. I mainly HATED how you could be 10 stories above an enemy AI with them shooting at one of your AI teammates, but the moment they have a line of sight on you they would ALWAYS shoot at you no matter what. It really ruined the game for me.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, it to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." —John Adams

  9. #19
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,165

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    Anyone can tell from the misspelling of "Honour" that it's not going to be about British troops, even if the battles were set in areas where only British forces were operating. No change there then.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #20
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

    If any of have played the Ukranian game, Stalker, Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, or Call of Pripyat, in the second game of the series, Clear Sky, it is possible to play as different factions, as Freedom, Duty, Stalker, or even Bandit, and the Bandit clan is the worse, going around murdering everyone.Some of the factions are mortal enemies to other factions, like Freedom and Duty followers are enemies. Of course, you can play it safe, and be neutral to all, except Bandits and soldiers, who are constantly your enemies. Now, in the last game, Call of Pripyat, once again you become neutral to all, even Bandits.

    There is another game, the name escapes me at the moment, but you play in a scenario that supposes that World War I never ended. You play a professional soldier in a battle that is wagered on by the rich. In this game are several instances, where you are captured and escape, your only weapon, a sword. In this part, you must murder unarmed scientists because if you don't they will alert the military authorities, and you will be killed. I finally gave up playing the game in disgust. I gave it to my brother-in-law. Yeah, it's only a game, but there are parts of a game that jar my sense of decency.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •