Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 649

Thread: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

  1. #41
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I wouldn't say it does. There is still a real ingorance to the protesting. The building isn't on ground zero, Muslims didn't perpetrate 9/11 (al Qaeda did), and no evidence presented has shown any rational reason for the protesting.
    They don't see it that way.

    There is no more reason to even consider Muslims as an insult than there is to consider the Klan represents all Christians.
    And the fact that they're not protesting the other mosques probably puts paid to the idea that they're holding all of Islam, in and of itself, responsible.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #42
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    True or False - The hijackers were willing to kill themselves in the midst of the attacks due to the belief it would make them a martyr and they would be rewarded for it in the afterlife based on their belief in Islam

    True or False - The hijackers and those pulling the strings of them hatred America in part because they view them as the "Great Satan" due to their religious beliefs?

    True or False - The hijackers and those pulling the strings are upset that Americans have been meddling in Middle Eastern affairs, and that is in part founded in the belief that they're desecrating the "Land of Islam". Specifically in its "Holiest of Places".

    True or False - The hijackers and/or those pulling the strings believe it is the duty of every *muslim* to kill americans due to the above?

    True or False - The hijackers and/or those pulling the strings justified these types of attacks due to the notion of killing Americans for the reasons above being "in accordance with the words of Might Allah"?

    True or False - The organization in question pulling the strings have followed through or spoke agreement with a Jihad, essentially a holy muslim struggle, based on a fatwa, a islamic opinion concerning islamic law issued by an islamic scholar, against the United States?

    Notice any similarity in all those things?

    Is Islam, ALL of islam, to blame for 9/11?

    Absolutely not.

    Is Islam unquestionably connected to the reasons, justifications, and methods in relation to how 9/11 occured?

    Absolutely.
    True or False. Timothy McVey was a Christian?

    True of false. The Klan considers itself Christian?

    True or False. Both have a history of killing innocent people?

    You see, your logic can be used to make anything seem connected when in fact they are not. You have no more reason to be insulted by Muslims than by Chrisitans. What upsets you may well speak more to a personal prejudice than a factual or rational reasn.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    And so this one is two long blocks, or the equivalent of six city blocks away, and CANNOT SO MUCH AS BE SEEN from ground zero, and in addition is not actually a mosque - what then becomes your reasoning.
    As I've said in another thread,

    from my experience in cities a few blocks is not that long. "China Town" for instance in DC is a multitude of blocks long area that's all thought of as the same general vicinity as it is all serviced by the China Town metro and its referencing the general reasonably walkable area. Likewise, I consider areas that are serviced by the same general metro stop (in this case the World Trade Center subway stop) to be in that general vicinity.

    You are also arbitrarily picking a spot where you declare where "ground zero" is, noteably you're stating only the two largest towers mattered and the actual place they physically stood. Others may view the entire wreckaged area where the multiple buildings that were destroyed in the attacks stood and where the multitude of the rubble fell all as being "ground zero". The "six city blocks" thing only works when you take your arbitrary starting point, which is no more reasonable or correct than any of the others. Some may feel they're not truly seeing the place of attack at Pearl Harbor till they get out standing over the Arizona, others may feel the moment they enter into the area of it that they're essentially at "pearl harbor" with regards to the reference to the attacks. Which is right? Its a matter of perspective.

    As far as it not being a mosque but a "community center" (See my earlier point about distortion from both sides, in this case through word play and political correctness). True or False, islamic faith and teachings are going to be taught. Islamic prayer services are going to be had. Other faiths prayer services are going to be allowable.

    Sorry, that whole "walks like a duck" thing. If I make a community center and in it I run sunday school classes, have a preacher giving sermons, have a confessional, and have guided prayer, all while disallowing any other faith to use this "community" center to do those same things, then I can call it whatever I want but in essense its still a church.

  4. #44
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I wouldn't say it does.

    Here we go.....


    The building isn't on ground zero
    it is close enough that it offends those families that lost loved ones on that day, and further, most of America. If the Imam Rauf was truly about reaching out for understanding, he would move it without all the hoopla.

    Muslims didn't perpetrate 9/11 (al Qaeda did)
    Yes, AQ did. and they were what? Buddhists? Hinduists? Christians?....Just what religion cries out 'Allahu Akbar' as they commit homicidal suicide in the name of what Joe? This is the silliest thing I think I have ever seen you try and pull off.

    and no evidence presented has shown any rational reason for the protesting.
    Never Forget.

    There is no more reason to even consider Muslims as an insult than there is to consider the Klan represents all Christians.
    It is not "Muslims" that are the insult, it is the mosque of conquest that this particular Imam want's to build, and the proximity to WTC that he wishes to build it. If David Duke wanted to build a Klan meeting site and shrine to the Aryan race next to where Dr ML King gave his historic speech in Montgomery Al? Or maybe where the three civil rights workers lost their lives just driving home?

    Your misrepresentation of the opposition to this mosque is stunning, and sad Joe.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #45
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    True or False - The hijackers were willing to kill themselves in the midst of the attacks due to the belief it would make them a martyr and they would be rewarded for it in the afterlife based on their belief in Islam

    True or False - The hijackers and those pulling the strings of them hatred America in part because they view them as the "Great Satan" due to their religious beliefs?

    True or False - The hijackers and those pulling the strings are upset that Americans have been meddling in Middle Eastern affairs, and that is in part founded in the belief that they're desecrating the "Land of Islam". Specifically in its "Holiest of Places".

    True or False - The hijackers and/or those pulling the strings believe it is the duty of every *muslim* to kill americans due to the above?

    True or False - The hijackers and/or those pulling the strings justified these types of attacks due to the notion of killing Americans for the reasons above being "in accordance with the words of Might Allah"?

    True or False - The organization in question pulling the strings have followed through or spoke agreement with a Jihad, essentially a holy muslim struggle, based on a fatwa, a islamic opinion concerning islamic law issued by an islamic scholar, against the United States?

    Notice any similarity in all those things?

    Is Islam, ALL of islam, to blame for 9/11?

    Absolutely not.

    Is Islam unquestionably connected to the reasons, justifications, and methods in relation to how 9/11 occured?

    Absolutely.
    True or false - The majority of coalition forces fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are Christian.

    True or false - A large number of coalition forces pray to a christian god regularly.

    True or false - Some of the soldiers see themselves fighting against an evil religion(Islam).

    See, using your method, I just created a holy war in the Middle East.

    Let's do some more true and false

    True or false - A large number of Muslims, including many/most prominent Muslims, condemned the 9/11 attack.

    True or false - the guy proposing the mosque/community center is not in any way implicated in 9/11.

    True or false - Most Muslims are not terrorist.

    The problem here is that while it is possible to oppose the mosque without being bigoted(which is a stupid claim that those opposed all are), it is still opposing something for nothing greater than a kneejerk emotional reaction aimed at the wrong target.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #46
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Innocent Muslims also died at the WTC on 9/11.

    Edit:

    I saw on CNN this weekend that prayer services are already held there currently.
    Last edited by Thorgasm; 08-23-10 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #47
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Here we go.....




    it is close enough that it offends those families that lost loved ones on that day, and further, most of America. If the Imam Rauf was truly about reaching out for understanding, he would move it without all the hoopla.



    Yes, AQ did. and they were what? Buddhists? Hinduists? Christians?....Just what religion cries out 'Allahu Akbar' as they commit homicidal suicide in the name of what Joe? This is the silliest thing I think I have ever seen you try and pull off.



    Never Forget.



    It is not "Muslims" that are the insult, it is the mosque of conquest that this particular Imam want's to build, and the proximity to WTC that he wishes to build it. If David Duke wanted to build a Klan meeting site and shrine to the Aryan race next to where Dr ML King gave his historic speech in Montgomery Al? Or maybe where the three civil rights workers lost their lives just driving home?

    Your misrepresentation of the opposition to this mosque is stunning, and sad Joe.

    j-mac
    Close only counts in hand grenades and nuclear bombs. And I repeat, McVey was a Christian. Are all Chrisitans tainted? The Klan is Christian. Are all Christians tainted? You have no more reason to be insulted by Muslims than you do Christians.

    And I am not misrepresenting anything. There is nothing to support the claims of opposition to this Iman either. You have to misread his comments to get their. A Beckish type misreading. And to be insulted, you have to cnsider all muslims equa to Al Qaeda. Much like someone would have to paint all Christians as McVey or the Klan. There is no real around that.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 08-23-10 at 01:07 PM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Sure, you be critical of their ranting, and i'll be critical of your hateful ignorant exaggerated and over generalized ranting as well. Welcome to America, your free speech is no more important or protected than anyone elses.
    Sorry, Zyph, you know it, and I know it. The truth, the facts and the law are on my side.

    Newt and the far-righties have stepped in it this time, crapping on the Constitution they pretend to hold so dear.



    Bull**** over generalization. You're showing as much "impotent rage" as most I've seen on the side opposite of you. You don't define reality, nor truth, and distortion and attempts at manipulation through the way in which things are presented or dismissed is hardly simply on one side of things. Your pathetic bull**** and hyperbole you're spewing out speaks as much of ignorance on issues as they are with your worthless and disgusting over generalizations.
    I define realty with truth and FACTS.

    I suggest you read up on them.





    Indeed, please point out specific examples of peopel actually advocating criminal acts.
    Please read more carefully.

    I clearly said, IMO, the ignorant rants of those opposing the building of the Cultural Center are watered down versions of those who may advocate vandalizing the building or worse.

    Ignorance breeds fear. Fear breeds hate. Hate breeds violence.

    Get it?

    More so, why don't you check yourself as you bitch about ignorance and bigotry and condemning large groups for the actions of a few as you make ridiculous over generalizations throughout your posts and rant on like a raving lunatic about thing such as pushing for criminal actions when that is far, far, FAR from what the majority of people against this mosque are advocating. The stench of hypocrisy coming off you is overwhelming.
    Again, please try to make a better effort at reading and comprehending my posts before opening your mouth to reply.

    I'm condemning ignorance and misinformation by the fringe-right, Newt, Sean, Glenn, and Sarah that led to the shameful protests.



    Bull****, absolute bull****. You want to act like you're the "conservative" in this and that you're standing up for free speech then you say this kind of hogwash. No, saying you don't want the mosque to be built there and it shouldn't be built there is not a "watered down version" of advocating CRIMINAL action. Your pathetic attempt of implying that it is such and thus should be treated similarly in its constitutional protection is disgusting as is your attempt to even think of considering yourself conservative.
    Unconditional acceptance of the law -- convenient or not. That's a conservative value. That's an American value. Liberals (think about the word) want to expand the law to new meanings based on emotions.

    Freedom of religion. Their God is as valid as your God.

    Sorry, like it or not, I'm more 'conservative' on this issue than you are.



    No, its associating a religion with the actions of a group of violent extremists in the NAME OF THAT RELIGION and the notion of how respectful it is to those that are going to wish to visit a place that is essentially akin to a national historical site, ala the U.S.S. Arizona, to have a place in the same general metro vicinity (2 blocks, and served by the WTC subway station) that's glorifying said religion and is attempting to use that place ot tell people they need to be "understanding" while they themselves not being understanding of the tens of thousands of Americans that don't wish to have a stark reminder of the largest negative feelings of that day standing right by the location.
    Thank you for revealing your true stance as that of a bigoted xenophobe.

    "in the Name of that religion" -- it's that level of ignorance and backward fear-think, that I condemn.

    I feel sorry for you if you can't see how screwed up that thinking is.

    As I've said elsewhere, its tactless. It'd be tactless to build a bar immedietely on top of a location that just had 5 people die due to a drunk driving accident, to build a church on the land that 2 years before had an abortion clinic on it but was destroyed by a christian fanatics bomb, or to have built a museum glorifying the history of Japan right outside of Pearl Harbor's naval base 10 years after that attack.
    Your false analogies are just killing your own argument.

    And the very nature that the action he's taking is causing the EXACT opposite of what his stated purpose is leads one to question what is the builders actual intent.
    No, Newt, Sarah, Sean, and Glenn are the ones that are ginning up the stupidity going into midterms.



    Bull****, you couldn't even sniff conservative. You are bitching about people exercising their first amendment rights and trying to wrap yourself in the constitution as if that makes it any better. Never once, NOT ONCE, in your entire rant did you comment on people who were specifically calling for GOVERNMENT internvention, you just bigotedly ranted against ANYONE that opposed this mosque in a general sense and how horrible they are and even implied it should be ILLEGAL for them to speak out against it.
    I know you hate to admit it, but I'm more conservative on this issue than you are.

    I side with the Constitution and the law... Not LIBERAL EMOTION.

    Look at that, Zyph is now a Liberal.

    You're a conservative if I'm god.
    Not even sure what that bit of nonsense means...

    But good luck with that...

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    True or False. Timothy McVey was a Christian?
    Faulty. Notice never once did I ask you "were they muslim."

    Being muslim doesn't matter.

    I asked for their motivation.

    Its arguable Mcveigh was a Christian. If you would've thought for a second before putting out this tired line of BS people so regularly thoruhg out you may've realized how your example falls flat. For example from McVeigh we have statements such as stating that while he believed in "a" god, not denoting specifically the Christian one, that he had since "lost touch with" his religion and had never really picked it up. So at best he was a non-practicing Christian. Additionally he's actually made claims of self identifying as an agnostic, not believing in hell, and stating that "science is [his] religion".

    Seriously, ****ing do some research when you're trying to squirm out of answering questions by spouting a bunch of ridiculous counters.

    True of false. The Klan considers itself Christian?
    Absolutely. And if the Klan bombed a, lets say, black day care center in the name of Christianity, I'd say it'd be pretty tactless to then turn around and try to build a Church near it that's specifically trying to tie itself to those attacks by trying to "build bridges" that the attack torre down while having a great deal of protests from Blacks who find it disrespectful to the memory of the dead.

    True or False. Both have a history of killing innocent people?
    True.

    Who gives a ****? How that does that counter my point at all. Great job dancing but you're showing you just can't actually answer anything nor have any leg to stand on.

    You see, your logic can be used to make anything seem connected when in fact they are not. You have no more reason to be insulted by Muslims than by Chrisitans. What upsets you may well speak more to a personal prejudice than a factual or rational reasn.
    Except you didn't use my logic, in the least. You made one statement that was HIGHLY questionable in accuracy and even if it was true has NO facts to back it up as being motivation in the least for his attacks. Your second one doesn't disprove or counter what I said, simply reenforces it. Your third is worthless generalization that has nothing to do with what I did.

    I SPECIFICALLY was highlighting how specifically these individuals and those they were tied to were SPECIFICALLY motivated, inspired, justified in their minds, and made comfortable with their methods, by their religion.

    You just posted a bunch of fraudulent, irrelevant, or pointless statements.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    The most glaring problem with your comment, is that it is a mosque. They will be building a mosque at that location. Once construction is complete, a mosque will exist. Muslims will be entering the building with the specific purpose of praying and worshiping their God, the very definition of a mosque. There will, of course, be other facilities at that location in addition to the mosque, But the talking point that it is not a mosque is just silly.
    It is not a talking point. It is not a mosque. It IS an Islamic Cultural Center in question. What’s being proposed is a community center with meeting rooms, a swimming pool, a day care center and auditorium as well as space for religious services

    The project was unanimously approved by the New York City board. WHY would they do that?? Seriously, stop and think. WHY would they unanimously approve it if it is what you all are believing it to be?

Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •