Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 649

Thread: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

  1. #331
    Advisor Sanitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The world.
    Last Seen
    03-05-12 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's the United States of America, where people have the right to assemble and protest and exress themselves.
    We have the right to peaceably protests. When protests become violent, or somehow begin to infringe on people's rights, like the black man in the video, I would think otherwise. That was dangerously close to a hate-crime.
    "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." - John Donne

  2. #332
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    I really hate how the word xenophobic gets thrown around. People who fear or mistrust Muslims are not necessarily xenophobic. In fact, most are probably not. I'll bet many of these people are not for instance irrationally afraid of say Japanese people. I know it is a big word and sounds really good in a sentence but you really cannot use it to criticize this group unless you are going to interview them all and find out they hate mostly all foreigners it just isn't true.
    How about "ethnocentric"?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #333
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    How about "ethnocentric"?
    Let's just call it "whitenessness".

  4. #334
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx
    I haven't heard your take on this. How can a man who says he wants to build this Mosque to build bridges, be trusted?
    It doesn't really matter if he can be "trusted" or not. One does not have to be honest to apply for a building permit. His personal opinions really don't have any bearing on this, and in fact are a simple attempt at diverting the issue at hand, which is the push for discriminatory policies against Muslims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx
    Notice how they call it the Anti-Muslim Rally at Ground Zero.

    Rather divisive in my opinion.
    Rather honest, if you ask me. I mean it's blatantly clear: they verbally attacked a black man for looking like a Muslim. How much more obvious could you get?

    Quote Originally Posted by The "Good Reverend"

    "This picture shows the cruelty of Sharia Law in action!The penalty for this 8 year old child in Iran for stealing a loaf of bread..Getting his left arm crushed by a TRUCK!"
    Sorry Rev, this has long been known to be fake for years. It was a father and son street performer. Hell, even looking at the photos it's painfully (lolpun) obvious that this is fake. Sort of like most of the various justifications for anti-Muslim bigotry that are thrown around here.

    Not surprising in the least that j-mac thanked you, though. Laila appears to have believed it too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx
    However, I feel the blame needs to go to the Imam who refuses to take into consideration the feeling of those who don't want it there.
    He doesn't have to take anyone's feelings into consideration if he doesn't want to. If he wanted he could construct a giant middle finger pointed straight at Ground Zero because property laws aren't based on personal religious/political beliefs, no matter how much you bigots want them to be.

    This was in fact one of the main arguments against the direct action implemented by the civil rights activists in the 60's. They were pleaded with by "reasonable" people to "consider the feelings" of the bigots who wanted to keep them in oppression.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post


    He doesn't have to take anyone's feelings into consideration if he doesn't want to. If he wanted he could construct a giant middle finger pointed straight at Ground Zero because property laws aren't based on personal religious/political beliefs,
    Agreed, but c'mon bro are we really supposed to take your argument based on the sanctity of property rights seriously?

    Completely disingenuous.

    no matter how much you bigots want them to be.
    Wait so let me get this straight, pointing to the words and actions of a very specific Muslim and saying that this isn't right is an act of bigotry now?

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    I really hate how the word xenophobic gets thrown around. People who fear or mistrust Muslims are not necessarily xenophobic. In fact, most are probably not. I'll bet many of these people are not for instance irrationally afraid of say Japanese people. I know it is a big word and sounds really good in a sentence but you really cannot use it to criticize this group unless you are going to interview them all and find out they hate mostly all foreigners it just isn't true.
    Fair enough -- good point.

    Words are important.

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I can't watch video.
    Leave it to a leftist to try and tell people what to listen to. I've never heard anyone on Fox tell their viewers to stop watching MSNBC or Comedy Central.
    Who are the true Americans here?
    Are you kidding?

    They do it every single hour of every single day.

    The code word = mainstream media -- it means those lefties who don't report the truth.

    "fair and balanced" the most ironic tag line the history of media.

  8. #338
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Are you kidding?

    They do it every single hour of every single day.

    The code word = mainstream media -- it means those lefties who don't report the truth.

    "fair and balanced" the most ironic tag line the history of media.
    Do they say Stop watching MSM?
    The left is often times saying Stop watching Fox.
    Even our own President said that.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #339
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Do they say Stop watching MSM?
    The left is often times saying Stop watching Fox.
    Even our own President said that.
    I don't know who the "left" is. A mythical monster like Lockness or Big Foot I suppose. However, you need to watch the clip so you actually know what was said in context. otherwise, you're just being silly.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Protesters rally against, for planned Islamic center in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Do they say Stop watching MSM?
    The left is often times saying Stop watching Fox.
    Even our own President said that.
    They falsely portray every other media outlet as left-leaning and therefore less reliable.

    If you want to play word games, go back to grammar school -- this board is for adults.

    Stop watching FOX. There, I said it. Or at least mix it up and get some different points of view.

Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •