Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 117

Thread: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

  1. #41
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Go play Russian Roulette with you own coast, thanks.
    I take it you like walking to work.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I take it you like walking to work.
    A better analogy is that I don't like gambling with my primary source of income. Saving 23,000 jobs in the short term is not worth the risk of losing millions of jobs, potentially for decades in the future. It's a simple cost benefit analysis, which you'd think somebody who purports to understand the economics would be able to wrap their head around.

  3. #43
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Florida, and I don't want even a one in a million chance of any more oil clotting up my beautiful white sand beaches.
    They're not clotted up now, are they? Most of the tar balls that are there, didn't even come from MC 262.

    What are you going to do when the entire economy along the gulf cost collapses, because of the millions of oilfield jobs that will be killed because of the moratorium? I think that's what people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around. There's no doubt that millions of oilfield dollars flow into Florida every year. I know all kinds of people that spend their oilfield wages in Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They're not clotted up now, are they?
    Yes they are. Even one tarball on my beaches is one tarball too many, and there are way more than that unfortunately.

    As for the rest of your "drill, baby, drill" diatribe, it's laughable. You're worried about the Gulf economy collapsing because of the drilling moratorium? Nonsense. If you're truly concerned with the Gulf economy, you'd want to protect it from any threat to its most important assets, tourism and fishing. But I guess it's no use explaining that to oil company shills.

  5. #45
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Yes they are. Even one tarball on my beaches is one tarball too many, and there are way more than that unfortunately.
    Well, you're gonna be a mad mothre****er when the Cubans open drilling in the North Cuba Basin.

    As for the rest of your "drill, baby, drill" diatribe, it's laughable. You're worried about the Gulf economy collapsing because of the drilling moratorium? Nonsense. If you're truly concerned with the Gulf economy, you'd want to protect it from any threat to its most important assets, tourism and fishing. But I guess it's no use explaining that to oil company shills.
    Where do you think those tourists and sport fishermen make their livings?

    But I guess it's no use explaining that to oil company shills.
    I don't work for an oil company. I work in the service and support end of the industry and I have a right to make a living, just like anyone else. A right that I've been deprived of.

    This is from your link:

    The Impact of the Oil Spill has not Affected Florida Beaches beyond Northwest Florida. All Other Beaches are Free of Oil
    Last edited by apdst; 08-24-10 at 12:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, you're gonna be a mad mothre****er when the Cubans open drilling in the North Cuba Basin.
    You better believe it. But guess what? Two wrongs don't make a right.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Where do you think those tourists and sport fishermen make their livings?
    I was talking about commercial fishermen, who make their living by, you know, fishing in the Gulf. As for the tourists, what does it matter how they make their livings? It's the money they spend in Florida that I care about.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't work for an oil company. I work in the service and support end of the industry and I have a right to make a living, just like anyone else. A right that I've been deprived of.
    So you're a self-confessed oil industry shill? Well, you're right you have a right to make a living. And so do I. I work in a Gulf coast state, where the entirety economy is dependent on a robust tourist industry, that we shouldn't be taking risks with.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-24-10 at 12:39 AM.

  7. #47
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    A better analogy is that I don't like gambling with my primary source of income. Saving 23,000 jobs in the short term is not worth the risk of losing millions of jobs, potentially for decades in the future. It's a simple cost benefit analysis, which you'd think somebody who purports to understand the economics would be able to wrap their head around.
    The Gulf Coast's primary source of income is oil.

  8. #48
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You better believe it. But guess what? Two wrongs don't make a right.
    I'm going to laugh my ass off, when all you do about it is piss-n-moan.



    I was talking about commercial fishermen, who make their living by, you know, fishing in the Gulf.
    They're back fishing. Didn't know if you heard.

    As for the tourists, what does it matter how they make their livings? It's the money they spend in Florida that I care about.
    that's where you're missing the boat. If people that visit Florida are unemployed, they won't be spending any money in Florida.



    So you're a self-confessed oil industry shill? Well, you're right you have a right to make a living. And so do I. I work in a Gulf coast state, where the entirety economy is dependent on a robust tourist industry, that we shouldn't be taking risks with.
    Too bad The Massiah and his propaganda machine made far too much of this oil spill. Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    I'd like to see how that study was done, as there is absolutely no indication is supports the conclusion you draw from it. Does it include Florida's Atlantic coast in the "Gulf" economy? How much of that oil industry is in Mexico? It seems like very skewed numbers to me, and there is not enough information to be determinative of anything.

    Not that it really matters, even if oil is the largest industry in the US Gulf economy (which there is no evidence for, and it seems likely that this is not the case, but even assuming for the sake of argument that it is true), it doesn't matter. The moratorium on new drilling isn't hurting our oil industry as much as another oil spill would hurt our tourism, period. But the voice of the segment of the economy that benefits from tourism is not as unified as the oil industry, whose shills are very vocal indeed and adept at distorting facts. But when we cut through the BS, it's obvious to anybody that there is enough potential harm that could come from another oil spill, and enough public relations damage-control that needs to be done to combat the effects of the BP spill, that the moratorium is justified.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-24-10 at 01:17 AM.

  10. #50
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I'd like to see how that study was done, as there is absolutely no indication is supports the conclusion you draw from it. Does it include Florida's Atlantic coast in the "Gulf" economy? How much of that oil industry is in Mexico? It seems like very skewed numbers to me, and there is not enough information to be determinative of anything.

    Not that it really matters, even if oil is the largest industry in the US Gulf economy (which there is no evidence for, and it seems likely that this is not the case, but even assuming for the sake of argument that it is true), it doesn't matter. The moratorium on new drilling isn't hurting our oil industry as much as another oil spill would hurt our tourism, period. But the voice of the segment of the economy that benefits from tourism is not as unified as the oil industry, whose shills are very vocal indeed and adept at distorting facts. But when we cut through the BS, it's obvious to anybody that there is enough potential harm that could come from another oil spill, and enough public relations damage-control that needs to be done to combat the effects of the BP spill, that the moratorium is justified.
    How much do Florida fishermen generate, every year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •