Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 117

Thread: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

  1. #31
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Okay, but there is still a problem with the date of the "memo", July 10, and the fact that it was only a worst case scenario of what might happen
    Where are you getting this? Nothing I've seen indicates that the 23k projection was presented as a worst case scenario. To the contrary, it was presented as a best estimate.

    So where is the data or proof or research or new "memo" stating that the worst case scenario has been "fully realized" when there is no evidence or new information to suggest that it has been "fully realized"?
    I honestly don't understand what you're asking for. Approximately one month ago, the government conducted an analysis of the situation and concluded that a six month ban would eventually affect 23,000 workers. Once this formerly internal memo was revealed in a court filing, the government tried to downplay it by saying that we haven't yet "fully" realized that outcome. This is fairly straightforward.

    The other problem with the AP articles, and it is a major one, there doesn't seem to any "memo" or "federal document" by Michael Bromwich giving an economic job loss "worst case scenario" whatsoever. If you can find it, then please let me know. Because the last and only memo I can find by Michael Bromwich is dated August 16, 2010 and it makes no mention of the economic job loss impact from the morititorium on 63 exploratory oil rigs.
    Again, what exactly do you expect? Most news stories don't come with hundreds of pages of supplemental material attached. The many, many stories out there on this topic all refer to the memorandum and clearly indicate what it includes.

    Administration Foresaw 23,000 Lost Jobs from Drilling Ban - WSJ.com

    If you think they're all lying for some unknown reason, that's fine. I just don't know where you'd get that from.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #32
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    86,204

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Maybe? What do you mean by "it's already recovering, maybe"? You don't sound so sure.
    Ok, let me rephrase my comment, so that you can understand it more better: Maybe, it's because things are already recovering."

    Amazing how one's understanding of puncuation can shed new light on things. Eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,203

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Where are you getting this? Nothing I've seen indicates that the 23k projection was presented as a worst case scenario. To the contrary, it was presented as a best estimate.
    I got it from the OP article.....

    "In light of the current risks of deepwater drilling as illustrated by the BP Deepwater Horizon Spill and the potential impacts of another spill, the moratorium is necessary and appropriate. With that said, the worst-case economic impact estimates from three months ago have not been realized. The reality on the ground suggests that the impacts are less than we initially projected as a potential worst-case scenario," Lee-Ashley said.
    It probably was a best estimate of a worst case economic impact.

    I honestly don't understand what you're asking for. Approximately one month ago, the government conducted an analysis of the situation and concluded that a six month ban would eventually affect 23,000 workers. Once this formerly internal memo was revealed in a court filing, the government tried to downplay it by saying that we haven't yet "fully" realized that outcome. This is fairly straightforward.

    Again, what exactly do you expect? Most news stories don't come with hundreds of pages of supplemental material attached. The many, many stories out there on this topic all refer to the memorandum and clearly indicate what it includes.

    Administration Foresaw 23,000 Lost Jobs from Drilling Ban - WSJ.com

    If you think they're all lying for some unknown reason, that's fine. I just don't know where you'd get that from.
    First the government gives a worse case best estimate and now it downplays that estimate. I give up. Sorry, for the inconvience.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,203

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, let me rephrase my comment, so that you can understand it more better: Maybe, it's because things are already recovering."

    Amazing how one's understanding of puncuation can shed new light on things. Eh?
    Well yes, I think it would go without saying that things would start recovering now that the oil leak has stopped. But I'm curious as to why you said "things aren't as disasterous as the Libbos were hoping for", when it is the "libbos" Obama and team who are saying the Gulf is recovering quicker than anticipated and you obviously agree with that assessment?

    NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Federal Science Report Details Fate of Oil from BP Spill
    Last edited by Moot; 08-23-10 at 03:18 AM.

  5. #35
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    79,140

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    No, I think I got the point just fine. We are in the middle of the worse recession in my lifetime, with unemployment hovering between 9% and 10%, and our president costs 23,000 more people their jobs playing partisan politics.

    I got the point just fine.
    You are wrong, the unemployment is higher.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  6. #36
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,661
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You are wrong, the unemployment is higher.
    I'm a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong, and by golly....

  7. #37
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    86,204

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Well yes, I think it would go without saying that things would start recovering now that the oil leak has stopped. But I'm curious as to why you said "things aren't as disasterous as the Libbos were hoping for", when it is the "libbos" Obama and team who are saying the Gulf is recovering quicker than anticipatedd you obviously agree with that assessment?

    NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Federal Science Report Details Fate of Oil from BP Spill
    Then, he should lift the moratorium and let us go back to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-18 @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What if the choice was between 23,000 people losing their jobs and having a 1% chance of another oil spill?
    What if the choice was between 23,000 people losing their jobs and having a .01% chance of another oil spill?
    What if the choice was between 23,000 people losing their jobs and having a .000001% chance of another oil spill?
    Go play Russian Roulette with you own coast, thanks.

  9. #39
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    86,204

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Go play Russian Roulette with you own coast, thanks.
    Where do you live?
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-18 @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Where do you live?
    Florida, and I don't want even a one in a million chance of any more oil clotting up my beautiful white sand beaches.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •