Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 117

Thread: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

  1. #101
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    It's not that you got anything wrong, it's that you don't appear to understand why that's entirely irrelevant.
    i needed to read it again, you insisted, despite your acknowledgment that i had not gotten anything wrong in my presentation
    notice how that makes no sense
    Obama's moratorium was on 1) deep water 2) drilling.
    This incident 1) did not involve deep water 2) or drilling.

    I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.
    i agree with you. what is so hard to understand about these words when put together?
    oil rig
    explosion
    gulf of mexico
    Pressed for details on the oil rig explosion, a representative of the company said they did not know what caused the incident. Mariner Energy’s Patrick Cassidy told the AP, “The platform is still intact and it was just a small portion of the platform that appears to be burned.” The platform had seven active production wells but they were shut down right right before the incident.
    Mariner Energy Oil Rig Explosion: Another Threat to Global Warming, Climate Change? | All247News

    Imagine that Congress passed a law banning the consumption of alcohol because it leads to drunk driving. I march in the streets to protest that law. On the way home from that rally, I answer my phone while driving and crash into a pole. Using your logic, the fact that I crashed is proof that prohibition is necessary.
    now i see the problem. you are unable to construct an accurate analogy. that is what causes you to be unable to wrap your head around the irony of this circumstance

    let's do imagine that congress banned the production of alcohol because its customers were adversely affected by the uncontrollable fumes emanating from the leaking bottles
    and the alcohol spirit producer publicly campaigned against the government's moratorium of its alcohol production, whining that the moratorium was not in the public's interest
    the very next day, that alcohol producer's manufacturing facility again generated a batch of alcohol which made its way into the public domain, potentially adversely affecting the citizens

    again, i am making it as simple as possible for you. but remember Einstein's words: "make things as simple as possible but not simpler". heeding Einstein, i refuse to make this "simpler"
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #102
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i needed to read it again, you insisted, despite your acknowledgment that i had not gotten anything wrong in my presentation
    notice how that makes no sense

    i agree with you. what is so hard to understand about these words when put together?
    oil rig
    explosion
    gulf of mexico
    First, this wasn't a rig. Second, I'm not sure why you're proud of the fact that you hear "explosion" and "gulf of mexico" and suddenly lose the ability to read beyond there and comprehend what's actually happening.

    let's do imagine that congress banned the production of alcohol because its customers were adversely affected by the uncontrollable fumes emanating from the leaking bottles
    and the alcohol spirit producer publicly campaigned against the government's moratorium of its alcohol production, whining that the moratorium was not in the public's interest
    the very next day, that alcohol producer's manufacturing facility again generated a batch of alcohol which made its way into the public domain, potentially adversely affecting the citizens
    Except the moratorium in question had nothing to do with the alcohol producer's facility. And the incident at the facility had nothing to do with the harm that was anticipated.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #103
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    First, this wasn't a rig. Second, I'm not sure why you're proud of the fact that you hear "explosion" and "gulf of mexico" and suddenly lose the ability to read beyond there and comprehend what's actually happening.
    here is the cite from eight hours ago (which was proffered in my prior post):
    Mariner Energy Oil Rig Explosion: Another Threat to Global Warming, Climate Change? | All247News
    allow me to excerpt another:
    A day before the fire, the American Petroleum Institute held a "Rally for Jobs" in Houston to protest the drilling moratorium. Mariner official Barbara Dianne Hagood was among those in attendance, according to a Financial Times report.
    The Associated Press: What now for Gulf? Fire complicates drill debate

    Except the moratorium in question had nothing to do with the alcohol producer's facility. And the incident at the facility had nothing to do with the harm that was anticipated.
    yes, it has become apparent your ability to understand analogies is not very sound
    the moratorium did impose restrictions on the alcohol producers, and their facilities
    and the recurrence of potentially harmful emissions from the alcohol producer's bottles was exactly the kind of potential harm the moratorium was intended to prevent
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #104
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    here is the cite from eight hours ago (which was proffered in my prior post)
    Ah, well if some guy from "all247news.com" refers to it as a rig, that means that everyone else MUST be wrong.

    Second of all, Deepwater Horizon was a rig, which drills wells, while yesterday's Mariner Energy incident was on a platform. Platforms place pressure on the wells to keep oil flowing and sometimes collect the oil or gas itself, and are in place for years at a time.
    Calm Down People: Factchecking Thursday’s Oil Fire in the Gulf - TIME NewsFeed

    You really don't appear to be understanding what I'm saying, because I'm not arguing that this company wasn't opposed to the moratorium. I'm pointing out that this had not a goddamn thing to do with the moratorium.


    yes, it has become apparent your ability to understand analogies is not very sound
    the moratorium did impose restrictions on the alcohol producers, and their facilities
    and the recurrence of potentially harmful emissions from the alcohol producer's bottles was exactly the kind of potential harm the moratorium was intended to prevent
    And exactly what restrictions did the deep water drilling moratorium place on this shallow water platform?

    (Hint: "The Mariner Energy platform does not violate a government moratorium on deepwater drilling, since no drilling took place and the platform is in shallow water.")

    Calm Down People: Factchecking Thursday’s Oil Fire in the Gulf - TIME NewsFeed
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #105
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    ok, so your position is that since the latest oil rig explosion was not in deep waters that we should no longer be concerned about assuring the safe operations of oil rigs in the gulf
    even if the oil rigs owned by corporations protesting the moratorium are the ones doing the exploding
    makes no sense, but then i recognize that is not unusual in your stated positions
    yea, go with that
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #106
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    ok, so your position is that since the latest oil rig explosion was not in deep waters that we should no longer be concerned about assuring the safe operations of oil rigs in the gulf
    even if the oil rigs owned by corporations protesting the moratorium are the ones doing the exploding
    No, my position is that it would be foolish to argue that a fire on a shallow water platform that resulted in no spill is in the same ballpark as a catastrophic spill on a deep water drilling rig. I explained that the two were very different. You struggled with the concept for a while, but now that you appear to be getting it, you're changing your argument. Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, the two incidents are not even in the same ballpark.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #107
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    No, my position is that it would be foolish to argue that a fire on a shallow water platform that resulted in no spill is in the same ballpark as a catastrophic spill on a deep water drilling rig. I explained that the two were very different. You struggled with the concept for a while, but now that you appear to be getting it, you're changing your argument. Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, the two incidents are not even in the same ballpark.
    i hear you
    your illogic is recognizable at a distance
    you want to ignore that the same organizations that opposed a drilling moratorium are the ones which own the rig that most recently exploded
    in gulf waters
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #108
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    identify the part i got wrong


    that the Obama administration has chosen a wise governmental practice to impose a moratorium to assure that off shore drilling procedures are safe and adequately monitored before enabling additional oil drilling incidents to occur in the gulf
    recognize that the very organizations which campaigned against such precautionary measures are the ones we now see experiencing oil drilling incidents
    i have made this observation as simple as is possible in the hopes you will now be able to grasp it
    What you got wrong, is that you called the production platform a drilling rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #109
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What you got wrong, is that you called the production platform a drilling rig.
    tell us what exploded, a drilling rig or a drilling platform

    then tell us if that semantic difference is significant to the points made
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #110
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    tell us what exploded, a drilling rig or a drilling platform
    Neither! It was a production platform.

    then tell us if that semantic difference is significant to the points made
    It's nothing to do with semantics; it's to do with facts. A drilling rig and production platform are two different animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •