Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

  1. #41
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Not being a comic book villain, I don't, in earnest, refer to myself and the rest of the American public as "hoi polloi" nor "the Unwashed Masses".
    Nor do I seriously call upon the authorities to protect us from ourselves by withholding facts, information, and knowledge from us.
    Crap. And just when I started to think I wasn't alone...

  2. #42
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    How would it "discredit" him?
    It's not about "his assertions".
    Yes it is. He is asserting that the U.S. military is up to no good in Afghanistan. Do you remember what happened to the credibility of Scot Ritter after he was allegedly linked to a web sex case? How about a the general that was accused of shop lifting that was in charge of Abu Ghraib? See a pattern here?


    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    He has no particular credibility as a person.
    I beg to differ. He puts forth documents that can not be disputed regardless of how they are obtained. If he or his site had no credibility whatsoever no one would even pay attention. It's obvious that is not the case.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    It's the fact that he gets hold of and releases actual documents.
    And who is denying this? What's your point?


    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    It's not like everybody's just been taking his word for everything, because he's got such a sterling reputation.
    As a journalist he has put forth information that cannot be disputed. That's as good as it gets in journalism.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I didn't even know, or particularly care, who he was.
    Who cares if you know him or what you think?


    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    When documents are leaked, I'm not worried about whether the person who leaked them has once been accused- or convicted- of sexual harassment.
    I'm looking at the documents themselves to gauge their veracity.
    When the pentagon and the US government themselves admit the documents are legitimate and valid, I'm certainly not going to be like, "Oh, but the guy who leaked them was once accused of sexual harassment. So I think I'll just forgive the government for whatever transgressions are exposed in these documents, no matter how incriminating they are."


    Silly, silly.

    I have no idea what your point is in this paragraph. I don't recall saying anything about forgiving the government. What a bunch of goobly gock. if anything is silly, it's your previous paragraph.

    As as par for the course you're missing the boat. I've had a security clearance and my father has had a top security clearance. I see nothing silly about any of this.

  3. #43
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This was my thought. Let's face it, when he is arrested, there will be a trial, and he will have a chance to clear his name. That is what trials are for. It's a serious charge and has to be taken seriously.
    You really need to come back to the real world. That's how it works on paper but not always reality. The innocent before proven guilty is a bunch of hogwash. If that was the case why do many people languish in jail awaiting trial? Why do people get off because they were able to buy the best defense money can buy (O.J) when some poor smock that can't afford good counsel is SOL?
    Last edited by EnigmaO01; 08-21-10 at 02:13 PM.

  4. #44
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And now we enter the realm of conspiracy theories. If every one is in on it, then anything could be true, and Bush really could have been complicit in 9/11, and Obama really is a Nigerian Muslim, and the moon landing really was fake, and...
    That's not fair. It was merely pointed out it's only logical that if the charges are trumped the government is in on it. It's only logical.

  5. #45
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Perhaps it's just my personal bias, but the idea of sexual misconduct on the part of youngish, affluent men never strikes me as unlikely or far-fetched.
    Yes it is your personal bias. Sexual misconduct spans all kinds of socio economic groups. Sure hope your not on the jury of a young affluent male that is accuses of sexual misconduct!

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    That's not fair. It was merely pointed out it's only logical that if the charges are trumped the government is in on it. It's only logical.
    NO, actually it is highly illogical. It's wishful thinking with no shred of backing evidence. Which is more likely, that the government engaged in a ham handed and poorly executed attempt to get some guy arrested and convicted for an entirely unrelated crime that would have little effect on whether WikiLeaks continues to operate, or that since he is in the news, Assange had something happen that happens far too often and some one tried to take advantage of that fact, probably for personal gain. Which one seems more likely?

    Sorry, but there is no logic to your position.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Wikileaks and it's founder need to be shutdown. Period.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Why should we immediately and automatically assume the two complainants are lying and "trying to take advantage" of Assange for "personal gain" because he's "in the news"?

    For all we know, they are both telling the truth and sexual impropriety occurred.
    The fact that the charges have been dropped only means that investigators decided there was not enough evidence to pursue them, or that the complainants backed out, possibly under intimidation, or when they realized their complaints were instant international news.
    We don't know the man personally, any more than we know the complainants.

    It seems disingenuous to automatically jump to the conclusion that they are lying.
    It's just as likely that they're not, and something inappropriate happened.
    If they were, the charges probably would not be dropped, because they'd be sticking to and trumping up their stories.
    Similarly, if it were a government set-up, the charges would not be dropped.
    The very fact that the charges have been dropped after being filed leads me to believe there was something to it; possibly not enough to convict, but something.
    Most sexual abuse cases- the vast majority- never make it to court.

    It should be noted that while the rape charges are dropped, Assange is still being investigated for "molestation" (a minor charge which does not refer, in Sweden, to crimes against children, as it does in the US, and which is not punishable by jail time).
    Last edited by 1069; 08-21-10 at 05:48 PM.

  9. #49
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    It should be noted that while the rape charges are dropped, Assange is still being investigated for "molestation" (a minor charge which does not refer, in Sweden, to crimes against children, as it does in the US, and which is not punishable by jail time).

    This is something that keeps getting lost in the discussion. The fact that the rape warrant was withdrawn indicates nothing about the veracity of the claims against him. Two women independently accused him of rape/molestation after they had engaged in consensual sex with him. They gave detailed statements to the prosecutor who decided to issue an arrest warrant for rape and molestation. The second prosecutor chose to withdraw the rape warrant, leaving the molestation warrant active.

    Far more plausible than the idea that this was some deep conspiracy that has been thwarted is the likelihood that the second prosecutor didn't believe he could prove a rape charge that arose subsequent to consensual sex (or didn't believe that there could actually be rape subsequent to consensual sex). That's not exactly an exoneration, though I'm sure some will see it as such.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #50
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange accused of rape

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The second prosecutor chose to withdraw the rape warrant, leaving the molestation warrant active.
    sorry for being pedantic, but there's no warrant for the molestation, it requires an investigation before it leads to an arrest, so as it stands, he is not a criminal until the investigation is complete, if it turns out to be true.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •