Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 72

Thread: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

  1. #31
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Seems like you anti-mosque folks would want this thing getting built. After all, is the goal to make them waste money on erecting silly structures to their particular mythology, just like you christian types? Or is this simply a "my mythology is better than yours" pissing contest?

    Normally I adopt a 'live and let live' attitude towards religion, but this stupid issue keeps resurfacing enough that I decided to exercise my freedom of speech and call it like it is - a stupid issue. How about they build whatever they like, you build whatever you like, and we call it a day? Let them build their silly structure at ground zero, and you guys build one there, too. Or both of you don't build there, and we can use the space to throw in a nice restaurant, a library, or some condos - you know, something that we can all use. If you two religions can't play nice with one another and get along, maybe neither of you should be anywhere near ground zero.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    Page 16 of the relevant report. To paraphrase from the table: To the statement "Homosexuality is a way of life that should be discouraged by society"; 61% of Muslims agreed, 64% of evangelical Protestants agreed, 68% of Mormons agreed and 76% of Jehova's Witnesses agreed. (Oh, and 10% of agnostics; the lowest group )

    Clearly churches should only be built if they're not Evangelical or Mormon. Other tables in the report show a similar pattern, for example Muslims see less 'conflict between religion and modern society' than all of the Cristian faiths, and find that their 'values are threatened by Hollywood' less than all groups but historically black Protestant churches (page 14).

    Islam is adapting, especially in (comparatively liberal) places like the US, where an alternative to fundamentalism is clearly visible and legally protected. Alienating Muslims by insisting that they're all really secret fundamentalists will only drive them in that direction; it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Saying that homosexuality should be discouraged =/= calling for the criminalization of homosexuality and it is certainly does not equate to calling for the death, imprisonment, and/or beating of homosexuals for being homosexual. Now which mainstream Christian sect advocates the criminalization of homosexuality? As it stands this is a false analogy but nice try though.

    Oh and this Imam is not a "secret fundamentalist" he is an overt Islamist who supports a Sharia compliant U.S. in which secular laws should not contradict the Koran or the Hadiths, his only problem with Sharia is the stringent penal code.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Seems like you anti-mosque folks would want this thing getting built. After all, is the goal to make them waste money on erecting silly structures to their particular mythology, just like you christian types? Or is this simply a "my mythology is better than yours" pissing contest?

    Normally I adopt a 'live and let live' attitude towards religion, but this stupid issue keeps resurfacing enough that I decided to exercise my freedom of speech and call it like it is - a stupid issue. How about they build whatever they like, you build whatever you like, and we call it a day? Let them build their silly structure at ground zero, and you guys build one there, too. Or both of you don't build there, and we can use the space to throw in a nice restaurant, a library, or some condos - you know, something that we can all use. If you two religions can't play nice with one another and get along, maybe neither of you should be anywhere near ground zero.
    I'm an atheist and oppose the building of this Mosque but not their right to build it.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    No we support the Constitution it's this Imam who calls for a Sharia Compliant U.S. in which secular laws don't contradict the Koran or the Hadiths which would be a clear violation of the Establishment Clause.
    That's fine with me but clearly, you guys are trying to at least influence the state to take a position that would restrict them from building their structure near the WTC site.

    Something that could violate the Freedom of Religion part, of the first amendment.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    That's what the fringe right doesn't get. The muslim world doesn't like the extremists.

    When you put anything this Imam has said in it's proper context, he sounds pretty moderate to me.
    Calling for a Sharia compliant U.S. where secular laws don't contradict the Koran or the Hadiths is moderate? I've read the full article which he wrote, his only problem is with the stringent penal code found under mainstream Sharia not Sharia law itself. That is not moderate.

    Saying that the U.S. was an accessory to 9-11 and that OBL was made in the USA less than 3 weeks after the attacks is moderate? I have read the full transcript to that 60 Minutes interview, the context is one of apologetics. That is not moderate.

    Refusing to condemn Hamas as a terrorist organization is moderate? I've listened to the full radio podcast the context is repeatedly asking for him to answer whether or not Hamas is a terrorist organization and his refusal to do so. That is not moderate.

    Building this Mosque is not a moderate action to begin with. To assert that it is being used to create mutual understanding is laughable, considering that a) it's burning bridges not building them and he still refuses to switch locations, b) only a fool would not have known what the reaction would be, and c) if he actually wanted to build bridges and not incite animosity then he could have opened an inter-faith community center that catered to the religious observances of all members of the community or (and this would have garnered a huge amount of goodwill towards the Muslim-American community) he could have built a memorial to all of the victims of the 9-11 attacks.
    Last edited by Agent Ferris; 08-21-10 at 04:00 PM.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's fine with me but clearly, you guys are trying to at least influence the state to take a position that would restrict them from building their structure near the WTC site.

    Something that could violate the Freedom of Religion part, of the first amendment.
    Who? Who exactly has said that they don't have the right to build the Mosque or called on the state to step in and stop it?

  7. #37
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Who? Who exactly has said that they don't have the right to build the Mosque or called on the state to step in and stop it?
    People in general, there wouldn't be this big outcry, before it was approved by the city council.
    Many clearly wanted them to be restricted from building their mosque.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    People in general, there wouldn't be this big outcry, before it was approved by the city council.
    Many clearly wanted them to be restricted from building their mosque.
    Which people? This is a hasty generalization logical fallacy.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Which people? This is a hasty generalization logical fallacy.
    It's my personal perception of this event.
    Logical fallacy or not.

    Since the city has approved it, we are now seeing people try to not get it built by withholding labor.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Imam’s wife: Nixing mosque ‘not option’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Since the city has approved it, we are now seeing people try to not get it built by withholding labor.
    Wow. I shouldn't be shocked or surprised, and yet I am. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •