Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 568

Thread: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

  1. #421
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Nice try, but you were saying that in response to something very specific that I said. And you're accusing me of saying things I didn't say. So go back, read what I was referring to, and respond to that (which was something YOU said) -- or don't, if you want to be lazy about it -- but leave the bull**** accusations out of it.
    I was talking along the same lines as the convo with Marilyn Monroe, and you butted in. You don't agree with her, say so.

  2. #422
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    08-26-10 @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    It is clear that many people are not thinking for themselves. They are uninformed and taking for granted the things they hear radicals say on TV, and particularly radio. It's lazy and scary. It's how people like Hitler got to power. Ignorant masses responding to lies designed to get emotional reactions.

  3. #423
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I was talking along the same lines as the convo with Marilyn Monroe, and you butted in. You don't agree with her, say so.
    You said something specific; I responded it to it specifically. Whatever else you read into it is your own baggage. I don't care in the slightest what Marilyn Monroe said.

    If you want to assume things about people based on preconceived notions, there are terms for that.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #424
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Bereal View Post
    It is clear that many people are not thinking for themselves. They are uninformed and taking for granted the things they hear radicals say on TV, and particularly radio. It's lazy and scary. It's how people like Hitler got to power. Ignorant masses responding to lies designed to get emotional reactions.
    This ties in well with the media criticism in other threads. When there is no quality news and reporting in the media again, but everything gets simplified, emotionalized and channelled through partisan glasses, this does have a very bad impact on political discourse and for the free political system in general. A free system cannot persist without an informed public.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  5. #425
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    A free system cannot persist without an informed public.
    That's a sig-worthy quote right there.

  6. #426
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Of course, an additional problem is that too many people mistake "informed" for "agrees with me."
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #427
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Of course, an additional problem is that too many people mistake "informed" for "agrees with me."
    Indeed. Many, for example, call a report "biased" and discard it, although it's just reporting facts that suggest a certain policy they don't like. Yet they cling to the notion that "the other side" to this story is inherently just as valid (although it isn't), just because their political "side" supports it.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  8. #428
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Indeed. Many, for example, call a report "biased" and discard it, although it's just reporting facts that suggest a certain policy they don't like. Yet they cling to the notion that "the other side" to this story is inherently just as valid (although it isn't), just because their political "side" supports it.
    That does indeed happen, and it happens everywhere in the spectrum.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #429
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Okay, I can't take it any more. There is no apostrophe in Christians or Muslims. There's just not. Stop it.

    If it's justified? Seriously. Are you kidding me??
    I throw apostrophes, commas around carelessly, hoping I get them right. Most people seem to have always ignored it. Apparently you have an intolerance towards this misuse.

    I think that in some cases Muslims are just getting a lot of negativity because of their actions and inactions. They haven't been vocal enough against Sharia Law, jihad, you know that they have problems with violence. I also know Christians have had such problems, but they've advanced since their beginnings. Muslims don't seem to have advanced. I really don't see why we can't tell them that they need to get rid of their negative treatment of women. They are keeping a lot of negative laws that should have been disavowed long ago. Really, even if they call it a religion, when it's wrong, it's wrong.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  10. #430
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Thinks Obama Is Muslim, Survey Shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    I throw apostrophes, commas around carelessly, hoping I get them right. Most people seem to have always ignored it. Apparently you have an intolerance towards this misuse.

    I think that in some cases Muslims are just getting a lot of negativity because of their actions and inactions. They haven't been vocal enough against Sharia Law, jihad, you know that they have problems with violence. I also know Christians have had such problems, but they've advanced since their beginnings. Muslims don't seem to have advanced. I really don't see why we can't tell them that they need to get rid of their negative treatment of women. They are keeping a lot of negative laws that should have been disavowed long ago. Really, even if they call it a religion, when it's wrong, it's wrong.


    The reason christians may have 'advanced' is because of those of us who are not christians. Don't give your religion credit where it deserves none. Secularism is everything you have to be happy for. Also, read a book on islam or something. Please. At least wikipedia. Dont generalise the anti-woman laws of a few arab countries for 1.5 million muslims.

Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •