Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 107

Thread: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

  1. #81
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    We have a report that 85% of new drugs have little or no new benefit over existing ones. The chances are that this applies to the cancer drug in question.

    85% of new drugs 'offer few benefits' - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent
    But are they as expencive as the drug in question?
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    We have a report that 85% of new drugs have little or no new benefit over existing ones. The chances are that this applies to the cancer drug in question.
    This is actually a really important point. The reason why the pharmaceutical industry continues to output redundant drugs is because their patents, and in turn their proprietary rights to be the only seller, expire. They pitch the new drugs as better even though they are qualitatively identical to previous ones, and this kind of marketing causes the wider audience to pay more even though the previous versions will become generic and therefore cheaper.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Now I know where you're coming from, Orion. Actually helpful. What you say makes sense. I guess I'd be happy if they'd just debunk the claims that I have a 10-year-old cornflake in my colon.
    There are a lot of snake oil salesmen out there for sure, but the reason why I don't agree with the government going after them is because most of their magical cures are not causing further harm, they're just ineffective. It's up to consumers to do research and decide for themselves what works and what doesn't. I don't believe even the government is qualified to determine that for each individual.

    If someone believes that there is a 10 year old corn flake in them, then they're just ignorant and have failed to do proper investigating. The government doesn't need to come in and ban those marketing cures for cornflakes in the colon. As the saying goes, there is a sucker born every minute. I don't think the Fed can really stop that.

  4. #84
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    No one got my previous post did they.


    Logan's Run, 1976. Turn 30 and get incinerated. No healthcare problem.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #85
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    It's not the govt's job to determine that value for us by removing FDA approval for drugs. If I want to spend $8000 for a drug that may or may not extend my life for a month, that's my business, not theirs.
    You don't spend it, your insurance - frequently Medicare - does. If you want to spend it out of pocket, then go right ahead. I'm sure they'll take your money.

    Be-f'ing-sides - Insurance companies do this crap all the time.

    Take up arms against them, why don't you?

  6. #86
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    You don't spend it, your insurance - frequently Medicare - does. If you want to spend it out of pocket, then go right ahead. I'm sure they'll take your money.

    Be-f'ing-sides - Insurance companies do this crap all the time.

    Take up arms against them, why don't you?
    I already do take up arms against insurance companies. I think they should cease to exist as well.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    No one got my previous post did they.


    Logan's Run, 1976. Turn 30 and get incinerated. No healthcare problem.
    It was silly. Love the movie, but nothing like that is going on. Insurance companies do this daily, and worse. And if the med is ineffective, why would anyone py for it? This is simply more hyperbole by those who simply can't be honest about this. Silliness to be sure.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    It appears death panels are back in Obama healthcare.
    I guess it would appear that way... if you don't know how to read and believe everything you hear.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    From global warming doesn't exist to USA death panels lol ptif thanks for giving me one final reason to ignore you!
    Never said warming doesn't exist I said it is climate change and natural not caused by man

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    From global warming doesn't exist to USA death panels lol ptif thanks for giving me one final reason to ignore you!

    Never said warming doesn't exist I said it is climate change and natural not caused by man
    Like he said, thanks for the memories and the laughs.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •