Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 107

Thread: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

  1. #31
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    We do it with super old people. You know how much it costs to extend someone old guys life another month or two? Horribly expensive. The alternative is to let them die. It may not be completely illogical as an argument, but certainly one which lacks empathy.
    There's "life," Ikari -- and then there's life. Merely extending someone's suffering because we can, is nothing short of cruel.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #32
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    There's "life," Ikari -- and then there's life. Merely extending someone's suffering because we can, is nothing short of cruel.
    What if they want that month?
    Should we stop them because it may cost them a lot of money?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #33
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    What if they want that month?
    Should we stop them because it may cost them a lot of money?
    If they want that month, if the FDA says it's legal to prescribe, if they can pay for it, then they should be able to go for it. Insurance companies are under no obligation to pay for treatment that is ineffective. If someone wants to "break the system" so they can say, "I told you so," it's up to the rest of us to be reasonable human beings and recognize these treatments for the profit-generating monoliths they really are. No different than going to Mexico for Laitril. You want it? Go there. Does it help? No. If you don't care and you're paying for it, more power to ya'. Placebos can do wondering things. But no society can pay $8K a month for a placebo.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #34
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If they want that month, if the FDA says it's legal to prescribe, if they can pay for it, then they should be able to go for it. Insurance companies are under no obligation to pay for treatment that is ineffective. If someone wants to "break the system" so they can say, "I told you so," it's up to the rest of us to be reasonable human beings and recognize these treatments for the profit-generating monoliths they really are. No different than going to Mexico for Laitril. You want it? Go there. Does it help? No. If you don't care and you're paying for it, more power to ya'. Placebos can do wondering things. But no society can pay $8K a month for a placebo.
    I wasn't arguing for society to pay for it.
    I don't want the FDA to stop someone from paying for it because they don't think it's cost effective.
    That's not their place but it seems we may be heading in that direction.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #35
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Why does the FDA have to approve it if they're almost dead anyway?
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #36
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I wasn't arguing for society to pay for it.
    I don't want the FDA to stop someone from paying for it because they don't think it's cost effective.
    That's not their place but it seems we may be heading in that direction.
    Why does it seem we may be headed in that direction? Because of this thread? There are very few drugs that the FDA makes outright illegal to dispense. Those things are prohibited for safety reasons.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    We certainly need more discriminating consumers but I think this is the wrong way to go about it.



    My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer in her late 70's and lived to her early 80's.
    Now from a cost effectiveness stand point, they should of provided no treatment because she was elderly.

    That is the pure cost effectiveness of it.
    So you agree with death panels?

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    hardly. it seems the drug is simply not effective for breast cancer. did you read the article?
    Yes but the appearance of it coming so quickly after the passing of Obama care is suspect

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    LOL and so what? The HMOs would still not pay for the damn drug because it is experimental and expensive. Obama care or not. When HMOs cut funding because they discover you had an ingrown toenail 30 years ago the required minor surgery and you forgot to mention it, do you really think they would spend that amount of money on keeping someone alive a few extra weeks? Of course if that person is a rich person, then that is another matter right?
    Insurance companies do not have authority over the FDA, the President can influence them.

  10. #40
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Yes but the appearance of it coming so quickly after the passing of Obama care is suspect
    Be more discerning in forming opinions. You are a spinner's delight.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •