Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107

Thread: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

  1. #21
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yes, of course it does. What other system would you have in place? "I can use whatever I want for whatever condition I want, and my insurance company has to pay for it." Really? No, I mean, really?
    I don't give a **** what insurance pays for, that's irrelevant. What's relevant is having access. Pulling approval may or may not prevent access, I don't know in this particular case. But I do know that the FDA *can* and has prevented access to certain drugs.

    I repeat. My mom is on Medicare and she gets the finest medical treatment available today. Rampant abuse, yeppers. Waste of money, yeppers. Fix that.
    I can tell you from experience that when we brought Medicaid/Medicare recipients to the ER, they were not given "the best care". Lifesaving care? Absolutely. But "the best care"? Absolutely not. Because the docs knew what Medicaid and Medicare would and wouldn't pay for and they based their treatments on that. It was absurd.

    Ridiculous. People have noooo idea what treatments are effective...what the side effects are...they are led merrily on their way by their healthcare providers. They're not stupid. They're just not doctors. Or scientists.
    SOME people don't. But regardless, it is THEIR body, THEIR life, and THEIR choice to make. No one elses. If they make that choice in ignorance, that's their problem. If they make an informed decision, even better. Still their choice.

  2. #22
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    It appears death panels are back in Obama healthcare.

    US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels' - Telegraph
    hardly. it seems the drug is simply not effective for breast cancer. did you read the article?

  3. #23
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Of course they'll say no if the govt forbids the drug approval via the FDA.


    Can't. The FDA removed approval for the drug.

    And, this whole "spend your money not mine" is the whole ****ing reason why people don't want public healthcare. THIS is precisely the reason. They will put a price on everyone's head. They already DO.


    It's not anyone's place to determine that but the patient. Most assuredly not the government's job. Which is why so many of us oppose govt provided healthcare. Because THEN is will become their job to determine if we're worthy of living any longer.
    probably this drug would have been disapproved anyway. only 17 thousand women receive it, and it's clearly not effective. it only prevents the disease from advancing for less than month. it doesn't cure it. why should the gov't pay for a drug that's not effective? why does this have anything to do with "obama care"? it doesn't. drugs are approved and disapproved every day. if you want to use the drug, you can pay for it.

  4. #24
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I don't give a **** what insurance pays for, that's irrelevant. What's relevant is having access. Pulling approval may or may not prevent access, I don't know in this particular case. But I do know that the FDA *can* and has prevented access to certain drugs.
    Yes, and apparently you would have the FDA stay out of the review process and just let "us" decide. Again I say, really?

    I can tell you from experience that when we brought Medicaid/Medicare recipients to the ER, they were not given "the best care". Lifesaving care? Absolutely. But "the best care"? Absolutely not. Because the docs knew what Medicaid and Medicare would and wouldn't pay for and they based their treatments on that. It was absurd.
    If what you say is true, then the doctors were at fault for not prescribing the best treatment. Now, if you're talking "overkill," that's something else. If you're talking "triage," that's something else. Example please.

    SOME people don't. But regardless, it is THEIR body, THEIR life, and THEIR choice to make. No one elses. If they make that choice in ignorance, that's their problem. If they make an informed decision, even better. Still their choice.
    "I want to take that drug. I don't care if it works or not. It's my decision." Ridiculous. Patients aren't doctors. They are spoon-fed information by their healthcare professionals to lead them to the doctor's decision. That's the facts.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #25
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    probably this drug would have been disapproved anyway. only 17 thousand women receive it, and it's clearly not effective. it only prevents the disease from advancing for less than month. it doesn't cure it. why should the gov't pay for a drug that's not effective? why does this have anything to do with "obama care"? it doesn't. drugs are approved and disapproved every day. if you want to use the drug, you can pay for it.
    Someone else trying to derail this thread with facts. How dare you?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #26
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Someone else trying to derail this thread with facts. How dare you?
    i agree with you on this one. believe it or not.

  7. #27
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i agree with you on this one. believe it or not.



    ....................
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #28
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    It appears this is being done because of Obama care
    LOL and so what? The HMOs would still not pay for the damn drug because it is experimental and expensive. Obama care or not. When HMOs cut funding because they discover you had an ingrown toenail 30 years ago the required minor surgery and you forgot to mention it, do you really think they would spend that amount of money on keeping someone alive a few extra weeks? Of course if that person is a rich person, then that is another matter right?
    PeteEU

  9. #29
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    probably this drug would have been disapproved anyway. only 17 thousand women receive it, and it's clearly not effective. it only prevents the disease from advancing for less than month. it doesn't cure it. why should the gov't pay for a drug that's not effective? why does this have anything to do with "obama care"? it doesn't. drugs are approved and disapproved every day. if you want to use the drug, you can pay for it.
    Approving a drug and paying for it are totally separate things.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: US breast cancer drug decision 'marks start of death panels'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Here we go again.

    Cost simply has to be taken into account when analyzing the benefits of a drug. Combine a cost of 'on average' $83,000 to treat people in this late-stage cancer by its being found to only extend life by one month can only mean that pharma's getting rich. That last month? It's going to be hell anyway.
    We do it with super old people. You know how much it costs to extend someone old guys life another month or two? Horribly expensive. The alternative is to let them die. It may not be completely illogical as an argument, but certainly one which lacks empathy.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •