Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 356

Thread: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

  1. #281
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I see it this way - The courts are standing up against mob rule.
    Only if you classify legally voting on a law "mob rule"
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Only if you classify legally voting on a law "mob rule"
    Some people also voted for segregation and against interracial marriage. That was a popular vote as well. Guess you were for that too huh?

  3. #283
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Some people also voted for segregation and against interracial marriage. That was a popular vote as well. Guess you were for that too huh?
    Segregation had to do with race, a proven genetic link.

    Homosexuality has no such proven link therefore you cannot directly compare the two. Unless you are ready to accept other alternative lifestyles when they claim they are "born that way" too.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Segregation had to do with race, a proven genetic link.

    Homosexuality has no such proven link therefore you cannot directly compare the two. Unless you are ready to accept other alternative lifestyles when they claim they are "born that way" too.
    It can be compared because it was a POPULAR vote, you know, the will of democracy that you spout off soo much anhd like. So you are obviously for majority rule.

  5. #285
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Segregation had to do with race, a proven genetic link.

    Homosexuality has no such proven link therefore you cannot directly compare the two. Unless you are ready to accept other alternative lifestyles when they claim they are "born that way" too.
    It's easy to compare the two since the discrimination is based on GENDER.

    However, I'd wonder what your response and defense would be if they decided not to allow Christians to marry each other. I mean, being Christian isn't genetic, so it would be okay to disallow certain denominational marriages, right?

  6. #286
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    It's easy to compare the two since the discrimination is based on GENDER.

    However, I'd wonder what your response and defense would be if they decided not to allow Christians to marry each other. I mean, being Christian isn't genetic, so it would be okay to disallow certain denominational marriages, right?
    Ah, see, but gender is an identity isn't it? It appears to be immutable. Some people here have even argued that gender is as fluid as sexuality. Do you believe that, Rivrrat? Didn't you say that this is the 21st century? I'm curious how exactly you define gender..

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #287
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Ah, see, but gender is an identity isn't it? It appears to be immutable. Some people here have even argued that gender is as fluid as sexuality. Do you believe that, Rivrrat? Didn't you say that this is the 21st century? I'm curious how exactly you define gender..

    Tim-
    So, would it be okay if we disallowed christians from marrying since religious denominations are a "fluid" identity?

  8. #288
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Moreover, with the judge's ruling, he essentially gives permission for two heterosexual bachelors to get married, or two heterosexual bachelorettes to marry, and why limit it to two people.. It dirties the traditional meaning, it renders marriage inconsequential to society. It is this reason why the SCOTUS will overturn it.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #289
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    .

    Homosexuality has no such proven link therefore you cannot directly compare the two. Unless you are ready to accept other alternative lifestyles when they claim they are "born that way" too.
    Last time I checked neither theory has been proven 100% so the social cons cant fully claim that its a choice. There are studies the show either way but a full conclusion has yet to be a choice or genetics.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  10. #290
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Court halts Calif. gay marriages pending appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Moreover, with the judge's ruling, he essentially gives permission for two heterosexual bachelors to get married, or two heterosexual bachelorettes to marry, and why limit it to two people.. It dirties the traditional meaning, it renders marriage inconsequential to society. It is this reason why the SCOTUS will overturn it.

    Tim-
    So how does it affect you again?
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •