Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 223

Thread: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

  1. #1
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs


    My sense is that these initiatives are how industry and government can cooperate effectively to create opportunities for Americans today as we transition to clean energy tomorrow.

    Excerpted from “Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs” By Nicholas Johnston, Bloomberg, Aug 16, 2010 12:02 PM PT
    President Barack Obama said government incentives to expand clean-energy industries will help restore jobs, citing a battery maker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, where he is highlighting the impact of the economic stimulus.

    Obama used the example of ZBB Energy Corp., which is using a $1.3 million loan from the legislation to keep 12 workers on staff and eventually hire 80 more as it expands production. …
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  2. #2
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post

    My sense is that these initiatives are how industry and government can cooperate effectively to create opportunities for Americans today as we transition to clean energy tomorrow.
    Until that "green" energy is cheap enough to compete with the supposed "dirty" energy, it will flop, not create a lot of jobs, waste money or some combination of the three.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #3
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    And there is no guarantee that there IS anything with a combination of cheaper, more portable, and more energy-intensive than oil.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #4
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    And there is no guarantee that there IS anything with a combination of cheaper, more portable, and more energy-intensive than oil.
    Why would a little thing like that stop the government from throwing trillions of your dollars at it?

  5. #5
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Why would a little thing like that stop the government from throwing trillions of your dollars at it?
    Of course not. And when Obama says something is going to create jobs, it's going to create jobs. Just like the "stimilus" bill.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #6
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Of course not. And when Obama says something is going to create jobs, it's going to create jobs. Just like the "stimilus" bill.
    Not to mention that when the government and business have a partnership, we usually pay twice for whatever it is the business sells.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #7
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Until that "green" energy is cheap enough to compete with the supposed "dirty" energy, it will flop, not create a lot of jobs, waste money or some combination of the three.
    How much does that dirty energy pollution cost us each year? Does that get factored into the price of oil/coal?

    Just saying, it would be pretty hard for the sewer plant to compete costwise if we could all just **** in the river.

    Subsidies for green energy or taxes on fossil fuels will help make them cost competitive.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    How much does that dirty energy pollution cost us each year? Does that get factored into the price of oil/coal?

    Just saying, it would be pretty hard for the sewer plant to compete costwise if we could all just **** in the river.

    Subsidies for green energy or taxes on fossil fuels will help make them cost competitive.
    It's not worth doing right now.
    When things aren't in the crapper, it may be worth discussing.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #9
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's not worth doing right now.
    When things aren't in the crapper, it may be worth discussing.
    Depends IMO, subisidies with a bad economy would be great, more taxes not so much.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Says Commitment to Clean Energy Will Boost Jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Depends IMO, subisidies with a bad economy would be great, more taxes not so much.
    I honestly don't see the worth in subsidizing it until it can achieve the same energy potential as oil and coal.

    Sure they have pollution costs but the same can be true for "green" energy and there could be no real benefit.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •