Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 91

Thread: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

  1. #51
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    That's the sinch of it for me too... I think classification is being abused to keep the public in the dark on way too much. Government has almost completely become its own autonomous entity that is answerable to no one. The general public is just for fundraising, but we don't get a say.
    That's my deal.
    It's the greater good, in my opinion.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    No I don't.
    I just prefer transparency in government.
    This isn't about transparency in government this is about a specific action taken by a specific individual which needlessly put lives in danger, you can support transparency in government without support this doushe bag.

  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,274
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Its a to part problem.
    Yes he should of redacted the names, I'll admit that.
    I think he got caught in the find and didn't think it through.

    However, those people should of well understood that cooperating with what is the enemy, to many people, may bring disastrous results to their lives.

    What about the military itself, they share in the responsibility of not securing their data.

    I honestly don't think we should be there in the first place, it's totally non productive but I guess that's another issue.
    The thing is, they accepted a certain risk. We agree on that. However, they did not reasonable expect that their name was going to be published on the internet, in documents from the country they are aiding, identifying them.

    We(the US) has to make sure we find all those responsible for releasing these documents, and we have to punish them to the absolute fullest extent of the law, just to have a chance to still get people to come forward and, essentially, help their own country. Those Afghan's identified are doing just that, aiding the US in creating some sort of order in their country.

    Whether there is something we can do with the asshole who owns WikiLeaks, I dunno. I hope so, but I doubt it. There is no excuse, none, for releasing the documents unredacted. If any one is killed as a result of his publishing the documents, I hope the US helps the family of them sue the living **** out of him.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    This isn't about transparency in government this is about a specific action taken by a specific individual which needlessly put lives in danger, you can support transparency in government without support this doushe bag.
    I'm not supporting him totally but he released secret information that shows we are being had in some areas.
    (funding Pakistan even though they are providing material support to the Taliban, it's a rip off.)

    It's the greater good.
    Should he of redacted names, yes but he didn't and it's in the past now.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 08-17-10 at 01:32 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    That's the sinch of it for me too... I think classification is being abused to keep the public in the dark on way too much. Government has almost completely become its own autonomous entity that is answerable to no one. The general public is just for fundraising, but we don't get a say.
    If you're going to grant the press the right to publish classified material when it the information within is of substantial public concern that's something I can agree with, but if you grant them that right you must do so on the assumption that they will do so in a responsible manner, and if they don't then they need to be held into account, this guy just took a ****load of raw intelligence and dumped it on the internet, if his organizations would have gone through rigorous investigation of the source material they could have left out the parts that needlessly put peoples lives in danger, but they didn't which is why they are liable for the damages caused by their negligence both civily and criminally.

  6. #56
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,274
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm not supporting him totally but he released secret information that shows we are being had in some areas.
    (funding Pakistan even though they are providing material support to the Taliban, it's a rip off.)

    It's the greater good, should he of redacted names, yes but he didn't and it's in the past now.
    The problem with stealing and publishing classified material is that you cannot judge whether it should be classified or not, until it has been released. That is not a decision that some guy in Europe should make, or some low paygrade guy in intelligence, or us sitting in our houses.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm not supporting him totally but he released secret information that shows we are being had in some areas.
    (funding Pakistan even though they are providing material support to the Taliban, it's a rip off.)
    Which could have easily been made available without putting lives in danger.

    It's the greater good.
    No it's not, the good of releasing the information which was of substantial interest to the public outweighed the good of not violating the laws related to leaking and publishing classified material, but they could have done that without releasing the names of Afghan allies, and because he and his organization acted in such a reckless and negligent manner they need to be held to account.


    Should he of redacted names, yes but he didn't and it's in the past now.
    It's not in the past for those people whose names were released, their lives have been substantially changed forever.
    Last edited by Agent Ferris; 08-17-10 at 01:41 PM.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The thing is, they accepted a certain risk. We agree on that. However, they did not reasonable expect that their name was going to be published on the internet, in documents from the country they are aiding, identifying them.

    We(the US) has to make sure we find all those responsible for releasing these documents, and we have to punish them to the absolute fullest extent of the law, just to have a chance to still get people to come forward and, essentially, help their own country. Those Afghan's identified are doing just that, aiding the US in creating some sort of order in their country.
    The guy who took the data was turned in.
    He's sitting in a military brig right now and if I'm not mistaken facing life imprisonment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Whether there is something we can do with the asshole who owns WikiLeaks, I dunno. I hope so, but I doubt it. There is no excuse, none, for releasing the documents unredacted. If any one is killed as a result of his publishing the documents, I hope the US helps the family of them sue the living **** out of him.
    I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done because his home country doesn't 100% comply with U.S. law.
    I don't agree with his method of release but I think we should have safe havens from prosecution so information can flow freely.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #59
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The problem with stealing and publishing classified material is that you cannot judge whether it should be classified or not, until it has been released. That is not a decision that some guy in Europe should make, or some low paygrade guy in intelligence, or us sitting in our houses.
    Hmm, technically it's not stealing because it's government (ie, owned by you and I) data.
    It's classified sure.

    Don't classify so much material, be truthful and the problem will rarely arise.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #60
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Which could have easily been made available without putting lives in danger.
    I already said that was wrong.



    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    No it's not, the act of releasing the information which was of substantial interest to the public outweighed the good of releasing classified documents, but they could have done that without releasing the names of Afghan allies, and because he and his organization acted in such a reckless and negligent manner they need to be held to account.


    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    It's not in the past for those people whose names were released, their lives have been substantially changed forever.

    You can't stop something that already happened.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •