Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 91

Thread: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Blaming the victim.....


    j-mac
    You engage in military actions, you are no longer a victim.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post

    You can't turn back time and punishing him without punishing official who lie to us would be inconsistent, in my view.
    One has nothing to do with the other, through his criminal negligence he has put these peoples lives in danger, for that he assumes criminal and civil liability and they can sue him for every penny he is worth. Even if they are not killed their lives have been so substantially altered by the release of their names that the damages awarded would be well into the millions of dollars/Euros, and if they are killed or injured he not only faces civil liability claims but criminal liability and prosecution as well.


    I guess my ethics are higher than those who run the show.
    You would arrest people for lying?

  3. #33
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Yea he should of redacted the names of people who could be physically hurt.
    He's doing that now with the rest of the 15000 documents.
    The damage is already done to some degree.


    The fact is that these people already put themselves in danger by becoming informants.

    Should we also put the people who possibly lied to us in jail?
    And they chose that risk for whatever reason. However, they have just had that risk increased dramatically, through no fault of their own. This is not just a risk to them, it is a risk to their family, their friends, and any one close to them. It is also now going to be harder to recruit more people in Afghanistan, and that makes the mission harder and more risky for our soldiers over there.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #34
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    The release is irresponsible and simply opportunistic. This guy is simply getting huge publicity for his site and is no different than Robert Novak revealing the identity of Valerie Plame. It is what reporters do. I wonder where the hatred is for the military official that leaked the information to this scavanger anyway.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    One has nothing to do with the other, through his criminal negligence he has put these peoples lives in danger, for that he assumes criminal and civil liability and they can sue him for every penny he is worth. Even if they are not killed their lives have been so substantially altered by the release of their names that the damages awarded would be well into the millions of dollars/Euros, and if they are killed or injured he not only faces civil liability claims but criminal liability and prosecution as well.
    So be it, if he does.
    He took the risk.


    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    You would arrest people for lying?
    When they operate in an official position of the U.S. government, they are there to protect us and are our representatives to the world.

    So yea, when they are acting as an official yep.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    You engage in military actions, you are no longer a victim.
    A) The war was a response to the murder of 3,000 of our citizenry by an organization which was part and parcel to the Taliban government.

    B) Many of these people have aided the Coalition precisely because they have been the victims of Taliban violence and oppression and now you say that this POS shouldn't bear criminal and civil liability for needlessly putting their lives in danger when rigorous investigation of the source material prior to its release could have easily prevented it?

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post


    When they operate in an official position of the U.S. government, they are there to protect us and are our representatives to the world.

    So yea, when they are acting as an official yep.
    Arresting officials of the government for lying? Well I guess Obama and every member of Congress should pack their bags.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And they chose that risk for whatever reason. However, they have just had that risk increased dramatically, through no fault of their own. This is not just a risk to them, it is a risk to their family, their friends, and any one close to them. It is also now going to be harder to recruit more people in Afghanistan, and that makes the mission harder and more risky for our soldiers over there.
    Its a to part problem.
    Yes he should of redacted the names, I'll admit that.
    I think he got caught in the find and didn't think it through.

    However, those people should of well understood that cooperating with what is the enemy, to many people, may bring disastrous results to their lives.

    What about the military itself, they share in the responsibility of not securing their data.

    I honestly don't think we should be there in the first place, it's totally non productive but I guess that's another issue.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #39
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I don't think being there will yield any positive outcome.
    Wasted tax dollars and a lot of dead people.

    The country is still heavily disheveled, corrupt and there is the potential that after we leave a dictatorship or the Taliban will arise.

    You can't make people want to be freer.

    But I thought that Obama said that Afghanistan was the right war? I am certainly not for nation building but we had to do something after 9/11 right? What would you have? A strongly worded letter?


    You engage in military actions, you are no longer a victim.

    So the people that help the US military deserve to be killed? Is that your position?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #40
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: WikiLeaks Founder Describes Possibility of Casualties as Acceptable Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    A) The war was a response to the murder of 3,000 of our citizenry by an organization which was part and parcel to the Taliban government.
    Yep destroy the ****ing place and get out.
    Don't try to play nice, nice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    B) Many of these people have aided the Coalition precisely because they have been the victims of Taliban violence and oppression and now you say that this POS shouldn't bear criminal and civil liability for needlessly putting their lives in danger when rigorous investigation of the source material prior to its release could have easily prevented it?
    I didn't say that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Arresting officials of the government for lying? Well I guess Obama and every member of Congress should pack their bags.
    It's an ideal man, I usually argue in favor of ideals.
    Yes I'd love to see their asses tossed in jail for misleading the people they are supposed to represent.

    If a financial expert does it to his client, it's called fraud.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •