Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 1032

Thread: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

  1. #61
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    The majority opinion isn't always the right one Prof.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    I've kept my mouth shut on this issue because I wanted to take the time to really think it through and reconcile how I feel about both sides of the issue at stake here: upholding one of our founding principles of religious tolerence versus showing compassion for those who died at the hands of religious extremist who happened to be of the Islamic faith subverted as they may have been.

    If you say you honestly believe in the Constitution and the American way of life, you have to allow this Mosque to be built right where the ground has been broken.

    Freedom of religion was one of the reasons our Founding Fathers left the British Crown. They wanted to be free of religious prosecution. In many ways, the stain of the Salom Witch Hunts remain a stain on this country's early history. Other than the occasional cult that have popped up here and there, this country has upheld the right of the individual to practise whatever religion he/she wants as long as such doesn't infring on the basic rights of others. Furthermore, because this country is a nation of laws, we've afforded every entity the right to do whatever they want to do as long as they follow the laws in place. By all accounts, the owners of the land where this mosque is to be built has followed the law to the letter. Moreover, as another poster has mentioned plans were in the works to build this mosque at this particular site long before 9/11 occurred. As such, how can the owner be denied his right to build a place of worship wherever he wants as long as he follows the city building and zoning codes?

    The way I see it, this isn't a Liberal or Conservative thing. This is an American values things. To disallow the building of this mosque would send a message to those who wished to do this country harm on September 11, 2001, that they've won! They've destroyed the very Constitutional rights we've fought so hard to uphold. As an American can you live with the alternative? Can you live with the hypocrisy that would clearly be on display for the world to see and the message many around the world would take from this, the very nation that talks big on religious freedom and equality and democracy for all? Can you see how wrong it would be not to allow this mosque to be built?

    I fully understand how those who are opposed to its construction truly feel, but as my wife said to me while we were discussing this very issue, "9/11 was an event; tragic as it was allowing the mosque to be built will not bring back those whose lives have been lost". Clearly, it won't take away the sting the "slap in the face" at building this Islamic place of worship so close to where the Twin Towers once stood appears to be making, but to disallow its construction gives power to radical Islam and quickens their resolve. The way I see it, WE take away their power by reaffirming to the Muslim world that we are not at war with Islam and that no matter how hard they try to tear us apart and demonstrate that we are a nation divided full of religious hyporcrits, we will never yeild to their inhumanity and subversion of our basic freedoms.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    The majority opinion isn't always the right one Prof.
    it's not always wrong, either

    and if one wants to improve relations with americans, one shouldn't deride and defy their sentiments

    this president (oh, brother) sure aint right very often himself (just look at last friday's jobs report, for starters)

    cordoba in time will be forced by political heat to move this thing

    rauf may have a legal right to build down there, he does

    but you can't improve relations with people by openly pissing em off

    when's obama gonna move ksm downtown?

  4. #64
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I believe what he's doing is this:

    Coming out in support of the 1st Amendment.

    If you have a problem with it. Change it. But he's kinda upholding the constitution in this case...

    You know that thing you accuse him of destroying...
    I may be wrong as I'm not up on US constitutional matters - but isn't one of the jobs of the US Pres to defend the constitution? And if part of the constitution says you should have freedom in religious matters then he's simply doing what the job titles asks him to do?

  5. #65
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    This isn't a "Legal Issue". This isn't a "Constitutional Rights" issue. This isn't even a "Tolerance of America" issue.

    Legally, they can build it, Constitutionally it's "Freedom of Religion", they can build it. America IS a Tolerant country of ideas that aren't always our own.

    All you people blathering on about how wrong it is to oppose this Mosque, and how one cannot be against the Mosque and believe in the Constitution... PISS OFF.

    The purpose of the Mosque is nominally a "community outreach center". Yeah, and I got a bridge to sell you in Kansas, connects the Pacific and Atlantic oceans too. When you say you want to help heal wounds, and reach out to people, and the people go "WOAH, bad idea dude, don't do this." It's time to step back and reconsider the idea. Just cause you CAN do something, doesn't make it right. The location of the WTC Attacks, the fact it was perpetuated by RADICAL Islamic Extremist should give pause to those backing this idea.

    "Hey, maybe this Mosque thing will piss people off." Should have been the first question asked by those planning this thing.

    I have a feeling quite a few of you clamoring to show you aren't Islamic Bigots like those nasty crazed right-wingers are, wouldn't be so supportive of rights if the KKK bought property across the street from where MLK Jr was killed and made it a Holy Church for Understanding. They might have the RIGHT and the Constitutional Legal ability to do so.... but it would be a REALLY bad idea.

    Ya know, it really IS okay to be against this Mosque being built, it doesn't make you a Muslim Basher. It makes you a common sense backer, a "Right" over "Wrong" person.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #66
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,295
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    This isn't a "Legal Issue". This isn't a "Constitutional Rights" issue. This isn't even a "Tolerance of America" issue.

    Legally, they can build it, Constitutionally it's "Freedom of Religion", they can build it. America IS a Tolerant country of ideas that aren't always our own.

    All you people blathering on about how wrong it is to oppose this Mosque, and how one cannot be against the Mosque and believe in the Constitution... PISS OFF.

    The purpose of the Mosque is nominally a "community outreach center". Yeah, and I got a bridge to sell you in Kansas, connects the Pacific and Atlantic oceans too. When you say you want to help heal wounds, and reach out to people, and the people go "WOAH, bad idea dude, don't do this." It's time to step back and reconsider the idea. Just cause you CAN do something, doesn't make it right. The location of the WTC Attacks, the fact it was perpetuated by RADICAL Islamic Extremist should give pause to those backing this idea.

    "Hey, maybe this Mosque thing will piss people off." Should have been the first question asked by those planning this thing.

    I have a feeling quite a few of you clamoring to show you aren't Islamic Bigots like those nasty crazed right-wingers are, wouldn't be so supportive of rights if the KKK bought property across the street from where MLK Jr was killed and made it a Holy Church for Understanding. They might have the RIGHT and the Constitutional Legal ability to do so.... but it would be a REALLY bad idea.

    Ya know, it really IS okay to be against this Mosque being built, it doesn't make you a Muslim Basher. It makes you a common sense backer, a "Right" over "Wrong" person.
    No one ever said you shouldn't oppose the mosque.

    Personally I think it's a bad idea too, the organizers were either naive or incredibly stupid to think this wouldn't be an issue.

    However it is 2 blocks away, not exactly as some have suggested and described it as "towering over ground zero" or "at the site". That's a bit dramatic.

    That's prime real estate though. They could probably sell the land for a tidy profit and build a bigger, better mosque elsewhere.

    I dunno. It's their right. Much as it might be a bad idea.

  7. #67
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Except that Obama doesnt give a damm about people's rights. His MO is that if conservatives are against it, by default he has to be for it. Did Obama do the right thing? Yes but only in spite not because its the right thing to do.
    That's funny how you tried to paint him as being the head of the "Party of No".
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #68
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    it's not always wrong, either

    and if one wants to improve relations with americans, one shouldn't deride and defy their sentiments

    this president (oh, brother) sure aint right very often himself (just look at last friday's jobs report, for starters)

    cordoba in time will be forced by political heat to move this thing

    rauf may have a legal right to build down there, he does

    but you can't improve relations with people by openly pissing em off

    when's obama gonna move ksm downtown?
    The word "deride" apparently does not mean what you think it does. Stating your position on an issue and explaining why is not "deriding" any one. The hysterical attempt to paint this as something other than it is is cheap theater and a good example of what is wrong with American politics.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #69
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    What about their poperty rights, I thought you guys were strong on property rights. What happened?
    Unless you can find a post where I oppose the construction, I say your full of ****. Obama has shown that he is a statist and is only supporting these people because conservatives are against it. Its nothing but being spiteful. To think he is actually being genuine to support private property rights is retarded.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    That's funny how you tried to paint him as being the head of the "Party of No".
    No he is head of the blue faction of the party that is for statism, socialism and war. I dont need to paint him that he has shown it himself.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: President Obama comes out in support of Ground Zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    Again people may not like it, but nothing legally can be done. What would you want the President to do say no they can't build it?
    I'd want him to say that allthough they have the right to build it there he would prefer that they not build it there.

Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •