Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    If the judge made the ruling based on interpreting Federal law, then yes, it CAN be appealed.
    See RightInNYC's post, as he kinda breaks down the reasoning. I agree the appeal will almost certainly be heard, and should be.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #12
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    See RightInNYC's post, as he kinda breaks down the reasoning. I agree the appeal will almost certainly be heard, and should be.
    There is no arguing with RightInNYC on this, or any other legal matter either. I found that out the hard way, by getting my ass kicked a few times by him. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    There is no arguing with RightInNYC on this, or any other legal matter either. I found that out the hard way, by getting my ass kicked a few times by him. LOL.
    It's a lesson we all have to learn the hard, painful way.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,673

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Like I said in the other thread I am willing to accept the decision of the SCOTUS but there should not be any gay marriages until that decision is rendered because there is a real chance the Gay judges decision will be overturned then you will have utter chaos...Allowing gay marriage to take place is just another example of activism.....Its really to bad..........

    By the way I did not hear any of you "Feel Good Liberals" take me up on my offer to accept the decision of the SCOTUS...Why am I not surprised??????
    Hello old friend. I never considered myself a feel good liberal but I do understand that, on occassion, you have viewed me as such. I suppose I am blessed that you even take the time to dialog with me, what with so many people, these days, turning away from so many others.

    But I will be the first to agree with you. If the SCOTUS says something is law, it's law. Don't mean I gotta like the law. There are a few laws I already don't like. But we are a nation and a people of laws. I respect the law and I find it a virtue to conduct my life obeying the law's of the land.

    If it's something that I truly cannot tolerate, I will lobby to change said law, all the while, obeying that law.

    All that being said, it really ain't my battle anyways. I just don't care who marry's who. My only interest in the issue in the first place is founded on my belief that "liberty and justice is for all" is supposed to mean, "liberty and justice for all." Perhaps that is because I was raised saying that every morning from the first grade on, and it kinda stuck in my heart. And if I am to error, I choose to error on the side of liberty.

    Myself, I married a woman. That's the way I roll. All my babies, watched 'em pop out myself. Never an abortion on my watch. Six years in the Navy serving the best I know how, never got cornered by a queer. (Maybe that's because I'm too damn ugly but I digress.) But I do know some gay folks. And I just love them to pieces. I can't let my southern, engrained, homophobia prevent me from taking any happiness away from them.

    I used to be exactly like you chief. I just changed. Can't say exactly when or where, I just did. Maybe when the issue took on a personal face to me and I knew good people directly affected by it. Maybe it was just a slow awakening. I used to tell the very best queer jokes. I just can't bring myself around to it anymore.

    But I do respect your opinion you old salt. I just don't look at it like that no mo'.

    Other than that, truth be told, I don't even care if monkey's marry giraffes.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    By the way I did not hear any of you "Feel Good Liberals" take me up on my offer to accept the decision of the SCOTUS...Why am I not surprised??????
    Why should liberals take you up on your offer when even YOU won't accept the SCOTUS ruling on allowing abortions.

    Put up or shut up.

  6. #16
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal - Yahoo! News



    Now, the article does point out that legal scholars do not necessarily agree with him that this won't be looked at by the 9th Circuit, it does raise the very real possibility. It's a California law, and California is not defending the law. I would say the odds of it not making it to the 9th for an appeal is slight, but it would amuse and please me no end it the 9th said they will not hear it.

    Now, on the subject of the stay, I think that should remain in place until the 9th renders some sort of ruling. While "legal chaos" is probably an exaggeration, I think it is just easier to wait it out.
    Yeah, who cares about equal representation under the law. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, who cares about equal representation under the law. Right?
    Once again, straw man.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I believe the issue is that there's a circuit split as to whether intervenors in a case need to have Article III standing or whether they need only satisfy a lesser standing requirement.
    Well, do you think there is an argument for Article III standing? On some level since the amendment was approved in a referendum a challenge could be made on that basis. When a matter approved by popular vote is alleged to come into conflict with the Constitution doesn't that sort of give them standing on that basis alone?
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Once again, straw man.
    Once again, anything that blows your idea out of the water is a strawman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Judge doubts gay marriage ban's backers can appeal

    moonbeam is not gonna be ag anymore after november

    and kamala harris is an extremely troubled candidate, even here in the uber liberal bay area

    the progressive ag by the bay is too much seen as personification of sf's soft-on-crime extremism

    there have been a number of hi publicity issues with ms kamala, and sf's SANCTUARY status comes into play

    particularly, the edwin ramos situation must perforce rip at every mother's heart, african american, hispanic, gay...

    ms kamala may win sf but she's gonna have a lot of trouble out here in the east bay

    and a dem doubted in walnut creek has little chance state wide

    ask john garamendi, ellen tauscher, bill baker, richard pombo, jerry mcnerney, all of whom have been my rep

    i'm surprised his honor (ap, too) can't see a move ahead, neglects even to put forth the effort

    we're looking at a new gub out here, as well, and that's 50-50 right now

    2010 Attorney General's Race : SFGate: Politics Blog
    Last edited by The Prof; 08-13-10 at 09:01 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •