Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 126

Thread: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well it spawned from this:



    I just wanted to know what counted as siding with the ones who want to build it. I personally think building this mosque where they want to is stupid and I question their motivations for wanting to do so. If they wanted a community center for outreach they could probably put it elsewhere and be well more effective. I don't think they really considered the feelings that others would have with a mosque and big community center so close to ground zero. Yet even then, I say it's their right to build it there. They purchased the land legally and meet all requirements for the building. There's nothing I can do to stop them. So I will say that they can build it even if I disagree with the building of it at that location.
    thank you

    civil discourse becomes us all

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You should probably have some logical reason for being pissed off though.
    we're not really in a position to tell others that their feelings aren't justified, it's logical to them, they are our equals, we should respect that, especially if we want to have improved relations with em

    Just being pissed off for pissed off sake isn't really legitimate reason to go against something.
    really, it's pretty clear why, they've made it clear, the mosque there is an affront to their sensibilities

    The fact that people are pissed off, however, should factor into the other side. Even if people are pissed for illegitimate reasons.
    their reasons are legitimate to them, they're as legitimate as anyone else's

    but, more to the point, whether their feelings should be considered or shouldn't, they will get their way

    this is america, everything's politics, ie, power

    Hello hyperbole.
    maybe, but the member has really impressed me for her thoughtfulness and kindness and sincerity (as well as her maturity)

    Unburdened her soul.
    she's been pretty candid

    Come on, she gave an opinion. One I don't think can be logically supported.
    again...

    take care, stay classy

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    we, as Americans have THE RIGHT to make their lives hell over it.
    Actually, you don't. Harassment is illegal.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Wooo I'm listening to Sean Hannity. .
    There's a shock.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    we're not really in a position to tell others that their feelings aren't justified, it's logical to them, they are our equals, we should respect that, especially if we want to have improved relations with em
    I don't know about that. There are lots of reasons to be pissed at something, some legitimate some not. Legitimate causes can be supported through logical argument, illegitimate cannot. Just saying that it's mean or it offends me isn't enough for a logical argument. Emotional arguments tend not to be logical.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    really, it's pretty clear why, they've made it clear, the mosque there is an affront to their sensibilities
    That's fine. Lots of things are affronts to many people's sensibilities. They just can't do anything about it without rational reasoning and demonstration of rights violation. People start getting all worked up over things they can't do anything about and it just ends up playing into the hands of the other side. No matter how much they don't like it, they can't stop it. I think the best option in those circumstances is to ignore it. Don't even give it the time of day. You end up much better off for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    their reasons are legitimate to them, they're as legitimate as anyone else's
    Legitimacy comes from logical arguments. Their reasons can make sense to them, but it doesn't necessitate legitimacy of position or argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    but, more to the point, whether their feelings should be considered or shouldn't, they will get their way
    Who will? The mosque or the people protesting?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    this is america, everything's politics, ie, power
    The only thing which matters here is money
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #86
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    You're not paying attention. It's not whether or not you dismiss someone else's opinion -- it's whether or not you dismiss someone's opinion on the basis of the fact that they're a foreigner and as such couldn't possibly know what they're talking about, only to accept that opinion when it supports your agenda.
    Whoop-de-sh*t. There's plenty of folks on the left who dismiss opinions of Americans because we're supposedly not as erudite and cultured as Europeans, except when those opinions happen to coincide with their own.

  7. #87
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well it spawned from this:



    I just wanted to know what counted as siding with the ones who want to build it. I personally think building this mosque where they want to is stupid and I question their motivations for wanting to do so. If they wanted a community center for outreach they could probably put it elsewhere and be well more effective. I don't think they really considered the feelings that others would have with a mosque and big community center so close to ground zero. Yet even then, I say it's their right to build it there. They purchased the land legally and meet all requirements for the building. There's nothing I can do to stop them. So I will say that they can build it even if I disagree with the building of it at that location.
    Agreed..... but I will also support any and all that want to protest that Mosque for the duration..... and not at all surprised if it gets bombed, or a sniper or three show up.

    Just how smart is it to poke a short stick at a Rattlesnake?

    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  8. #88
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Wooo I'm listening to Sean Hannity.
    Rah! Rah! Sis-boom-bah! Goooooo CONSERVATIVES!

    That guy makes my brain hurt.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    and not at all surprised if it gets bombed, or a sniper or three show up.

    Just how smart is it to poke a short stick at a Rattlesnake?
    Wow, what a most excellent and well-thought-out position. We should totally threaten the safety of Muslims in this country. That will TOTALLY make things better.

    While we're at it, lets burn a few crosses in front of their building to let them know that we mean business.

    /sarcasm.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Rah! Rah! Sis-boom-bah! Goooooo CONSERVATIVES!

    That guy makes my brain hurt.
    If you don't have a brain, that's not a problem.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •