Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 126

Thread: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Here's the point:

    Might it be insensitive? Sure, of course. Should we make policy based on whether people will be upset? No.

    Should people who object try to convince the mosque to locate itself elsewhere? Sure, of course -- this is America. You have the right to do that. Should that fact alone prevent it from being built? No, of course not -- this is America. They have a right to do that.
    you are 100% verbatim correct, in my opinion

    which is exactly why this mosque will be moved

    too many ny pols are gonna be puttin too much political pressure on their friends, who are ultimately gonna have to relocate

    y'know, for their friends

  2. #72
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Don't you think the system worked just like it's supposed to? People protested to their heart's content. In the end, fairness won. This is a basic freedom in the United States of America. What went wrong? I say nothing. You say? I'd even say that most people agree it's their right to build...anyone who thinks otherwise now, is just plain wrong.
    I just wanted to know if you don't like the idea of the mosque being built, but will allow it because you note it is their right to do so; if that counts as support for the mosque.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #73
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You don't have the right to make anyone's life hell.
    Sure we do..

    Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

    If you don't think 1000's of people surrounding the Mosque 24/7 chanting "go home", some of the women wearing string bikinis (hopefully only those that look good in them, thus drawing a bigger crowd ) and the rest eating pork sandwiches wouldn't be hell for Muslims, you don't know how easily Muslims are to offend..... or maybe you just didn't notice.

    They have a right to build the mosque on land they legally purchased if they meet all the permits/zoning laws, etc. There is a limit to the harassment, however, that people are allowed to give. Protesting is one thing, and that is the one thing allowed. You cannot do anything which would infringe upon their rights. And you still didn't answer the question, which is why I pointed it out before. It was said that the left would still support it. I wanted to know what counted as support. Surely people can be pissed off at it, but realize there is nothing legally they can do about it. Would they be supporting the building of the mosque? Even though they don't like it, they're willing to grant them their ability to build it. Is it support? I think that many people who are saying it's their right to build this building aren't so happy with it going up; but rather are recognizing religious and property rights.
    I didn't dispute the above, I just gave the probable result.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    My experience here is that the conservatives are the ones that dismiss foreigners except when they agree with them.
    way too blanket a statement, no?

    i find it quite odd, with all due respect

  5. #75
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Irony: Why are those who are the most guilty of it never self-aware enough to realize it?
    Who knows? Some just pretend quotes they have made never happened.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  6. #76
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I just wanted to know if you don't like the idea of the mosque being built, but will allow it because you note it is their right to do so; if that counts as support for the mosque.
    No, I don't think that counts as support for the mosque. It's not like, "YAY!!!! They're going to build a mosqe!!" It's, "Hey, they have that right."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I wanted to know what counted as support.
    y'know, speaking out in defense of the mosque, that's what would count as support

    or, more accurately, to be seen as acting in its defense

    individuals aren't conscripted to take a stand on this thorny thrust at america's heart, for or against, they can sit on the sidelines if they choose

    people who speak out in defense of the mosque---there's your support

    again, i find the question strange

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    why should anyone be worried about a building?
    for their own personal reasons, friend

    it doesn't really matter so much why they're pissed

    fact is, they are

    I think this is an incredibly made up reason
    and then, an extremely thoughtful, kind and sincere poster unburdens her soul to you on this question, and you see her reason as made up

    ???

    some people don't think the way you do, there's you answer

    do you really think everyone should?

  9. #79
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    again, i find the question strange
    Well it spawned from this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I still imagine the left will side with the ones who want to build it no matter how many people come out against it.
    I just wanted to know what counted as siding with the ones who want to build it. I personally think building this mosque where they want to is stupid and I question their motivations for wanting to do so. If they wanted a community center for outreach they could probably put it elsewhere and be well more effective. I don't think they really considered the feelings that others would have with a mosque and big community center so close to ground zero. Yet even then, I say it's their right to build it there. They purchased the land legally and meet all requirements for the building. There's nothing I can do to stop them. So I will say that they can build it even if I disagree with the building of it at that location.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #80
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    for their own personal reasons, friend

    it doesn't really matter so much why they're pissed

    fact is, they are
    You should probably have some logical reason for being pissed off though. Just being pissed off for pissed off sake isn't really legitimate reason to go against something. The fact that people are pissed off, however, should factor into the other side. Even if people are pissed for illegitimate reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    and then, an extremely thoughtful, kind and sincere poster unburdens her soul to you on this question, and you see her reason as made up
    Hello hyperbole. Unburdened her soul. Come on, she gave an opinion. One I don't think can be logically supported.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    some people don't think the way you do, there's you answer

    do you really think everyone should?
    If they were smart.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •