Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

  1. #31
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    There isn't much to debate here. It's just more of you being your typical difficult self around here. I'm not going to indulge it like others do.
    Okay Jallman, you are right becuse you say so.

    On the other hand, people are getting out of crimes because they are making claims that aliens came down and did it and ran off, and since nobody can prove it didn't happen, there is that shadow of a doubt.

    Regardless of whether its reasonable.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #32
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Okay Jallman, you are right becuse you say so.

    On the other hand, people are getting out of crimes because they are making claims that aliens came down and did it and ran off, and since nobody can prove it didn't happen, there is that shadow of a doubt.

    Regardless of whether its reasonable.
    Caine, did you read my post? If I were on a jury and a guy told a story like mine, I'd believe him. I'd probably even find him not guilty if he was still convinced his foot was on the brake.

    A number of years ago, I had the engine running in front of my mom's house waiting for my husband to hop in the car. As he got in, I put the car in D and stepped on the brake. The car started forward, I stomped on the brake. He held on for dear life while I continued to stomp on the brake as he was only half inside the car. The car was burning rubber trying to peel off as he reached inside and turned off the engine.

    My foot had been on the accelerator. I was soooo convinced my foot was on the brake, that I never would have ever let it go. I thought the car was haunted.

    If I was ever on a jury and someone testified similarly that this is what happened to him, I'd buy it -- 'cause it happened to me. Once you think you're stepping on the brake, nothing will change your mind. (I was cold sober, BTW.)
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #33
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Caine, did you read my post? If I were on a jury and a guy told a story like mine, I'd believe him. I'd probably even find him not guilty if he was still convinced his foot was on the brake.
    Good to know you are so easy to convince.......
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #34
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Good to know you are so easy to convince.......
    Good to know you're here to learn as well as teach.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #35
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Good to know you're here to learn as well as teach.
    What is there to learn?

    Because someone claims to believe that their foot was on the brake when they mashed the accelerator and smashed into another vehicle causing deaths during his trial for manslaughter I am supposed to believe that there was a mechanical error?

    Its one thing to believe such a story, its another thing to condemn a jury who didn't believe it as if they are over zealous about sentencing people.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #36
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    What is there to learn?

    Because someone claims to believe that their foot was on the brake when they mashed the accelerator and smashed into another vehicle causing deaths during his trial for manslaughter I am supposed to believe that there was a mechanical error?

    Its one thing to believe such a story, its another thing to condemn a jury who didn't believe it as if they are over zealous about sentencing people.
    The question to me is whether or not the guy deserved eight years in jail. His own 10-year-old daughter was one of those killed, for God's sake. His car was travelling at 80-90 mph. He swore he was trying to brake the car. In my own life I have had this same series of events happen twice. Fortunately, in neither case did I have an accident. If you can't see a correlation and understand how a jury might have gotten it wrong? Well, I can. And so could prosecutors, as he won't be retried. Nobody today wants to believe that accidents can happen. It's always got to be someone's intentional fault. Witness our litigeous society. Sometimes an accident is just simply an accident.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Okay Jallman, you are right becuse you say so.

    On the other hand, people are getting out of crimes because they are making claims that aliens came down and did it and ran off, and since nobody can prove it didn't happen, there is that shadow of a doubt.

    Regardless of whether its reasonable.
    Now you're just being ridiculous because no one will play with you when you're being sour.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Now you're just being ridiculous because no one will play with you when you're being sour.
    Ahh... personal attacks.

    Ones you know you can do and get away with here. Gotcha.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Ahh... personal attacks.

    Ones you know you can do and get away with here. Gotcha.
    You were making an appeal to the absurd. If you think having that pointed out to you is a personal attack, you've got thinner skin than I thought.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Man freed after fatal Toyota crash 'tried everything' to stop car

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The question to me is whether or not the guy deserved eight years in jail. His own 10-year-old daughter was one of those killed, for God's sake. His car was travelling at 80-90 mph. He swore he was trying to brake the car. In my own life I have had this same series of events happen twice. Fortunately, in neither case did I have an accident. If you can't see a correlation and understand how a jury might have gotten it wrong? Well, I can. And so could prosecutors, as he won't be retried. Nobody today wants to believe that accidents can happen. It's always got to be someone's intentional fault. Witness our litigeous society. Sometimes an accident is just simply an accident.
    Contrary to unpopular belief. Its not a requirement to tell a jury how long someone will be sentenced for, or how long someone MAY be sentenced for when they are deciding a case. Nor is it the decision of a jury to decide how long someone is sentenced to in a non-capital case. Thus, your comments about sentencing someone to 8 years as a member of a jury mean jack diddly squat because the jury members do not have this information to go off of.

    Do I think 8 years is excessive? Yeah sure.
    Am I going to condemn the jury for making a decision based upon the information that they were given in trial (of which, btw, none of us knows the full details of, we only know the defense's argument.)? No
    Do I understand why the prosecutor has decided to not retry the case? Yes.
    Does it have anything to do with the prosecutor believing that the man is "innocent"? Probably not. The prosecutor knows that even though this Toyota vehicle driving off on its own crap is a bunch of hype, too many jurors are going to be tainted by this because of media reports to have a fair trial. On top of that, three years is plenty for an accidental yet negligent manslaughter case.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •