Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Mexico court backs gay marriages

  1. #21
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Go read your $1 bill. This country was founded entirely in Judao-Christian beliefs, then brilliantly, constructed the Constitution so the church would not preside over government, a la the Church of England during that time period.

    That does not mean our government is secular in nature; othewise, every president wouldn't end their addresses with "God Bless the United States of America" and they would take their presidential oath with their hand on the Bible.
    It doesn't matter what people say. If they want to say "god bless the USA", they are free to do so. And you don't have to place your hand on the Bible either to take the oath. The fact of the matter is, the United States was not set up to be a theocracy. It was meant to establish freedom of religion in a way which did not entangle Church and State. You cannot make a law holding me responsible to the rules of your god; our laws are to be based in the rights and liberties of the individual. Your god has nothing to do with it, nor should it ever. Implementing theocratic law is a violation of the 1st. The government is indeed secular.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #22
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Your ignorance is astounding.

    Mind boggling in fact. Why don't you actually learn about your nieghbours to the north before commenting on us.

    Oh and i don't give a flying **** if the church recognizes gay marriage, as long as the government does.
    Oh, I know you luuuuuvvvv you some government. LOL

  3. #23
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It doesn't matter what people say. If they want to say "god bless the USA", they are free to do so. And you don't have to place your hand on the Bible either to take the oath. The fact of the matter is, the United States was not set up to be a theocracy. It was meant to establish freedom of religion in a way which did not entangle Church and State. You cannot make a law holding me responsible to the rules of your god; our laws are to be based in the rights and liberties of the individual. Your god has nothing to do with it, nor should it ever. Implementing theocratic law is a violation of the 1st. The government is indeed secular.
    Nor did I say America was designed to be a theocracy. Judao-Christian beliefs did, however, play a HUGE role in the writing of both the Declaration and the Constitution.

    Look, I know the well-spun twisted liberal argument for gay marriage. I also know it's complete crap, as does 72 percent of the population apparently by the polls.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Hey look, a straw man.

    In one area(that means not every area, do you understand now), we are behind Mexico.
    Mexico shouldn't be an example of anything. It is a million-time loser of a country. They treat their people like animals.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Nor did I say America was designed to be a theocracy. Judao-Christian beliefs did, however, play a HUGE role in the writing of both the Declaration and the Constitution.

    Look, I know the well-spun twisted liberal argument for gay marriage. I also know it's complete crap, as does 72 percent of the population apparently by the polls.
    Appeal to populism doesn't count for valid argument. It wasn't Judao-Chirstian beliefs, only maybe 30% of the 10 Commandments made it into actual law. The fact remains that you cannot subject me to the rules of your god and use government force to enforce that subjugation. The Marriage License is a contract, plain and simple. The individual has right to contract. That's it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,297
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Oh, I know you luuuuuvvvv you some government. LOL
    /facepalm

    So what your saying is. I love government. But i don't want government interfering in peoples rights to marry, but you do.

    WTF

  7. #27
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I always thought we were north of Mexico.
    Depends on which way it is facing doesn't it?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Mexico shouldn't be an example of anything. It is a million-time loser of a country. They treat their people like animals.
    Except that they'll allow same sex marriages. So maybe that at least treat their people like animals uniformly.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #29
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Judao-Christian beliefs did, however, play a HUGE role in the writing of both the Declaration and the Constitution.
    So what? Even if we did start that way, nothing says we cant evolve beyond that point.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mexico court backs gay marriages

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Mexico shouldn't be an example of anything. It is a million-time loser of a country. They treat their people like animals.
    Whereas we only treat gays like animals. Is the point people making going over your head, or are you just refusing to address it?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •