Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

  1. #1
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    FOXNews.com - Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    Senate Approves $600M for Border Security
    Published August 05, 2010 | Associated Press

    WASHINGTON -- The Senate agreed Thursday to add $600 million to the effort to stop the flow of illegal immigrants across the U.S. Mexican border.

    The money would be used for such purposes as adding 1,500 new enforcement agents and deploying unmanned aerial drones to improve border surveillance.

    The voice vote to pass the emergency spending came in the final hours before the Senate leaves for its monthlong summer break. Its sponsor, Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer of New York, said it would boost border spending 10 percent above 2010 levels.

    President Barack Obama has urged Congress to come up with $600 million to reinforce border security, and, with Arizona's attempt to crack down on undocumented immigrants bringing national focus to the issue, both Republicans and Democrats have endorsed more robust border security spending.

    The main stumbling block has been how to pay for the increased spending. Republicans sought to use unspent funds from the economic stimulus act, an idea rejected by Democrats.

    The Democratic plan passed Thursday would boost fees assessed on foreign-based personnel companies that take advantage of U.S. visa programs, such as the H-1B visa program for temporary skilled workers, to bring foreign workers, mainly from India, into the United States.

    ---snip---

    The legislation includes $176 million for 1,000 new border patrol agents to form a strike force to be deployed at critical areas, $89 million for another 500 customs and immigration personnel and $32 million to deploy unmanned aerial vehicles or drones.

    It provides an additional $196 million for the Justice Department to bolster its forces of U.S. marshals, and FBI, DEA and ATF agents along the border.

    "Now our attention must turn to comprehensive reform, which is the only way to fully address the problem of illegal immigration," Schumer said after the vote.
    This is a step in the right direction, provided it actually gets done. I like the idea of assessing fees on companies employing foreign workers in the U.S.

    Now we need to focus on tougher penalties for companies who employee illegals. I don't like the idea of imprisoning illegals for many years. We are not accomplishing anything beneficial by doing that. McCain is crazy. Deport them. Eliminate anchor baby loopholes. Continue to work towards physical security.

    I like that it's getting bi-partisan support.
    *insert profound statement here*

  2. #2
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    There has been a law enacted a few years ago that made it harder to employ illegals. I remember going to a temp service for extra work last winter because they were hiring snow shoveler for like $14/hr. I was curious and asked, "Couldn't you get Mexicans to do this for cheaper?" to which the guy replied, "Obama's new crappy law makes it harder for my to employ illegals but that's good news for you huh?" Good news indeed.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #3
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    Further, I would like to see more federal dollars going to the local law enforcement agencies for personnel, technology, weapons systems, vehicles, and body armor. They are on front line and there is a war spilling over our borders.

    With unemployment where it's at, there is no excuse for an illegal immigrant holding a job that could put a legal U.S. citizen to work. I'm all for managed immigration to this country, but I'm absolutely opposed to illegal immigration on all levels now. I'm out of measurable sympathy for the plight of those in foreign countries with regard to unemployment and low wages. At this moment it's America first from where I am sitting. I still think we should be a good neighbor and play well with others, but we need to tend to our own first.
    *insert profound statement here*

  4. #4
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,028

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    I agree that part of the solution to illegals in the US is going after employers who hire them. IMO the current Administration is talking out both sides of its mouth. AZ is having its employer sanction law reviewed by the SC. Lower federal courts have sided with AZ. What does Obama's people say, "On Nov. 2, 2009, the Supreme Court asked the Obama administration to state its views on the law. In May this year, the Solicitor General office in the Department of Justice issued an opinion against LAWA, arguing that it is not a licensing law, but it is aimed at prohibiting the hiring of undocumented workers.
    Supreme Court to Review Arizona Employer Sanctions Law - New America Media.

    They are against the AZ law because its aimed at prohibiting the hiring of illegals. What a bunch of idiots. Obama wants to get get tough on employers, what a laugh.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  5. #5
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I agree that part of the solution to illegals in the US is going after employers who hire them. IMO the current Administration is talking out both sides of its mouth. AZ is having its employer sanction law reviewed by the SC. Lower federal courts have sided with AZ. What does Obama's people say, "On Nov. 2, 2009, the Supreme Court asked the Obama administration to state its views on the law. In May this year, the Solicitor General office in the Department of Justice issued an opinion against LAWA, arguing that it is not a licensing law, but it is aimed at prohibiting the hiring of undocumented workers.
    Supreme Court to Review Arizona Employer Sanctions Law - New America Media.

    They are against the AZ law because its aimed at prohibiting the hiring of illegals. What a bunch of idiots. Obama wants to get get tough on employers, what a laugh.
    I have to agree with you here. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the Obama administration, and this is one of the main reasons. States are in a corner and doing what they have to in order to try and get a handle on a problem that federal government (the body of government responsible for these types of problems) seems to have all but ignored. Of course this problem existed long before Obama took office, he's just carrying on a long tradition of paying lip service to the issue...something both sides of the aisle seem good at doing.
    *insert profound statement here*

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Further, I would like to see more federal dollars going to the local law enforcement agencies for personnel, technology, weapons systems, vehicles, and body armor. They are on front line and there is a war spilling over our borders.

    With unemployment where it's at, there is no excuse for an illegal immigrant holding a job that could put a legal U.S. citizen to work. I'm all for managed immigration to this country, but I'm absolutely opposed to illegal immigration on all levels now. I'm out of measurable sympathy for the plight of those in foreign countries with regard to unemployment and low wages. At this moment it's America first from where I am sitting. I still think we should be a good neighbor and play well with others, but we need to tend to our own first.
    I'd like to see less federal dollars collected so states can collect the taxes to pay for this stuff.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I'd like to see less federal dollars collected so states can collect the taxes to pay for this stuff.
    Point well made.
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    The legislation includes $176 million for 1,000 new border patrol agents to form a strike force to be deployed at critical areas, $89 million for another 500 customs and immigration personnel and $32 million to deploy unmanned aerial vehicles or drones.
    1,000 new border patrol agents=$10 million for support; $166 million for the 1,000 agents = $166,000 per agent.
    500 new customs agents and immigration personnel = $178,000 per agent.

    Can I have one of those jobs, pullleeeeze???
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #9
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    Until they build a big ass wall, this is really just a waste of money (considering the objective).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #10
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Senate Approves $600M for Border Security

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I'd like to see less federal dollars collected so states can collect the taxes to pay for this stuff.
    The issue with this is based on demographics. If one state is more "in tune" to weak border security, it diminishes the effectiveness in other states. It is the federal governments job to secure national borders as it pertains primarily to national defense and interstate commerce.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •