Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 184

Thread: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate

  1. #81
    Advisor Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    06-24-11 @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    571

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    So laws regarding the sanitation of restaurants, grocery stores, etc. should not be in place in your view? Let the buyer beware?

    I agree with this. But property rights need to be respected. A private business is not a publc place so things like smoking bans should be up to the owner as long as the potential customers are made aware.

    When it comes to drugs, prostitution, and the like, those are what we don't need laws against IMHO.

    Like I said, I got my thoughts mixed up when I posted there.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I'm glad they shut down her lemonade stand. After all, most businesses require a license to do business in this country. There are many reasons for this, the biggest of which concerns public safety. So if a kid wants to open up a lemonade stand, or any other kind of business, I think they should be required to get a business license.

    How I think it should work is that anyone who is under the age of 16 should be required to apply for a special business license. This business license should be maybe $5. When the kid applies for it, they are given pamphlets that lists their duties and responsibilities as a business owner, including liabilities and work practices that are safe for them and their customers.

    This way, getting a business license can be an educational experience for them when they get older. After all, when adults start a business, they not only have to get a business license, there's also other paperwork required, such as applying to be an LLC or a corporation of some kind. Let's teach them, as kids, the responsibilities and requirements involved in doing sol.

    So I say let's teach these kids the realities of running a business and what it takes to start one up.
    Yes let's teach the kids that the state requires their protection money for the largest racketeering scheme in human history so hopefully they will realize that the tyranny that is the state must be torn down by any means necessary. Give me one generation and I will change the world. **** the government, infiltrate destroy, rebuild!
    Last edited by Agent Ferris; 08-09-10 at 12:53 AM.

  3. #83
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Yes let's teach the kids that the state requires their protection money for the largest racketeering scheme in human history so hopefully they will realize that the tyranny that is the state must be torn down by any means necessary. Give me one generation and I will change the world. **** the government, infiltrate destroy, rebuild!
    Yeah, because having a kid pay 5 bucks and then giving them educational materials for their own safety and the safety of their customers and others is the epitome of tyranny.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Yeah, because having a kid pay 5 bucks and then giving them educational materials for their own safety and the safety of their customers and others is the epitome of tyranny.
    More government bureaucracy. The nanny state regulating a lemonade stand. That's bollocks.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    ****. Next they will be requiring 1099 reporting and FICA withholding. Assholes.

  6. #86
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    More government bureaucracy. The nanny state regulating a lemonade stand. That's bollocks.
    Perhaps you could do a better job about answering a question I have been asking that nobody else has yet to really answer: What is so torturous and authoritarian and wrong about having a kid pay a $5 fee for a general business license and will cause the clerk who issues that license to give that kid reading materials that will educate that kid on safe work practices for him, his customers, and the general public?

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Perhaps you could do a better job about answering a question I have been asking that nobody else has yet to really answer: What is so torturous and authoritarian and wrong about having a kid pay a $5 fee for a general business license and will cause the clerk who issues that license to give that kid reading materials that will educate that kid on safe work practices for him, his customers, and the general public?
    It represents the government interfering with free enterprise. The government should not require any business to get a business license. It is a tax (fee) to collect revenue for the state. It's bull****.

  8. #88
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It represents the government interfering with free enterprise. The government should not require any business to get a business license. It is a tax (fee) to collect revenue for the state. It's bull****.
    Even though it can be used as a method to teach these children business practices regarding their own safety and the safety of their customers and others?

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Even though it can be used as a method to teach these children business practices regarding their own safety and the safety of their customers and others?
    Especially so. It is the way it goes, right? The state promises benefit for a fee and feels justified in inserting itself into the enterprise.

    I think a high school class on small business practices would be appropriate, as an elective.

  10. #90
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Especially so. It is the way it goes, right? The state promises benefit for a fee and feels justified in inserting itself into the enterprise.

    I think a high school class on small business practices would be appropriate, as an elective.
    10-year-olds aren't in high school, and a whole year-long course on small business practices isn't practical for a lemonade stand.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •