Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 184

Thread: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate

  1. #171
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Today my parents would have been arrested for half the things they let me do when I was a kid.
    That's partly my point.

  2. #172
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    I'm wondering... now that the little girls lemonade stand made like 1,800+ bucks... how many people got food poisoning from it? I mean, she still didn't have her little $120 piece of paper and all. Anyone see anything in the blogs or news identifying a breakout of bubonic plague from the lemonade stand?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #173
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Look Sam, you seem like an intelligent liberal, surely you know what a strawman is right? You should stick to facts. It isn't $5 we are talking about here, it is $120. Did you even read the article? And the larger question that we are supposedly discussing, (although it takes two to discuss) is whether the government should be concerning themselves with a 7 year olds lemonade stand at a yard sale, instead of that restaurant with rats in the basement that they accepted a $1000. kickback (or fine if you wish) to look the other way. This is about some low level liberal with power accreting that power on a defenseless child in a bullying way. Oh, I am sure she could feel the "S" on her pink leotard under her clothes shinning as she effortlessly closed down the kids stand, and threatened a fine. What a model human being....She should be proud she thwarted a 7 year old from making a $1.50, what a joke!

    Hey, she should have left the kid alone, Obama could have claimed 7 more jobs saved from that one.
    But here's the thing. Yes, this particular instance is pretty silly, and yes, it does indeed stick of bureaucratic bull****.

    However, there is a larger issue at play here: what should be towards children who want to sell goods or services?

    Should they have to purchase a $120 business license like adults have to? No, absolutely not, as a child won't make enough of a profit to justify it.

    But does that mean we should let a child go about making money however he pleases without any knowledge of the rules and regulations we have regarding what he's doing? No, I think not, for issues having to do with public health and safety as well as for reasons regarding litigation.

    So while most of the conservatives here shout that this shows the idiocy of liberal bureaucracy, I see it as an example of something that has fallen through the cracks of law. And that's why I propose that we have business licenses for children that are cheap enough for them to purchase and causes the clerk who hands them a license pamphlets on general safety for their well being and that of the public.

    It's not that I condone the actions of the bureaucrat - it's that the law has taken these instances into account, and I think it is something that should be addressed.

  4. #174
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    But here's the thing. Yes, this particular instance is pretty silly, and yes, it does indeed stick of bureaucratic bull****.

    However, there is a larger issue at play here: what should be towards children who want to sell goods or services?
    Look, it's always been caveat emptor and that's all it will ever be. As long as the child is supervised by what looks to be a responsible adult - there is no larger issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    So while most of the conservatives here shout that this shows the idiocy of liberal bureaucracy, I see it as an example of something that has fallen through the cracks of law. And that's why I propose that we have business licenses for children that are cheap enough for them to purchase and causes the clerk who hands them a license pamphlets on general safety for their well being and that of the public.
    A cheaper liberal bureaucracy that still doesn't test for diseases protecting the general safety and well being? Why - so the liberal bureaucracy can be more palatable? It still is useless, whether it's $120 or $1. Same uselessness, just a different price of the stupidity.

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    It's not that I condone the actions of the bureaucrat - it's that the law has taken these instances into account, and I think it is something that should be addressed.
    Caveat emptor. If you don't want to risk getting sick on a kids lemonade stand, don't buy the lemonade.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It is the principle of requiring a child to get a business license.
    Needing a business license to sell lemonaid is like ... needing a license to have a child. The inspector(s) responsible for this nonsense need to be suspended without pay for a week... and they need to be forced to write a letter of apology.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    In 4 1/2 years with me and various restaurants --- no surprise inspections ever happened either. We always knew well in advance and needless to say, we cleaned up the kitchen, back and front lines, changed the fry oil, brushed all the grunge from behind the flat-top and broiler and scrubbed & hosed down the tile floor until we no longer slid on the grease and cleaned out the walk-ins. Never know what you'll find in walk-in's... but that's another story.
    The only surpise inspections were those conducted by the firm hired by corporate to insure sanitary working conditions. ECO-SURE. Like I said the only ones capable of insuring healthy food service are those that are running it, business owners have a vested interest in not poisoning their consumer.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Ummm...Agent...I am the LAST person to bust people on spelling and grammer...but...

    when insulting someone elses intelligence one should probably use the proper form of 'too'...

    Ya well that wasn't spelling that was grammar so right back at you.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    That's a scary thought because it means I dont have to have any training, any preparation, or any precautions to keep what I'm selling clean.

    The intent of the law is to ensure that people are not sold potentially contaminated food by monitoring those who sell the food and ensuring they are following health codes. I dont care if shes 9 or 90, she is selling something that will be consumed by the public and as such she needs to do so in such a way that follows health codes.

    I'm not opposed to having a sort of starter business license with an extremely low cost
    for cases like this but I absolutely do not support the unregulated sale of items of consumption to the general public. We dont let adults get away with it, we shouldn't let kids get away with it because they're kids.
    Dude it's plainly ****ing obvious that you've never worked in the food service industry, the only thing that is going to insure clean food is good staff with a good kitchen manager and you can't hire as good of a staff or insure that the staff actually give a **** when you are spending the money that they should be making on the state racketeering scheme. You want cleaner food, pay your staff more money, you want the owners to be able to pay them more money, stop raping them in the ass for licenses and certificates.

  9. #179
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Ya well that wasn't spelling that was grammar so right back at you.
    I hope you got the joking intent...because lord knows...if you ever want to pick on spelling and grammar...Ive got your ammo!!!

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Health inspectors check for a hygenic set-up for serving food. If that isnt found, the business is shut down.


    Because it's demonstrably effective and there needs to be independent insurance that a restaurant or food stand is selling food that wont poison people.
    The only insurance that a restaurant won't be poisoning their customers is well payed happy staff. Furthermore; the only routine inspections that I ever saw were those meeted out by corporate through a private firm that they hired and which gave each store a score, stores with poor scores had their managers replaced or otherwise reprimanded, stores with good scores saw their managers get increased pay and it was those managers who made sure that their staff was happy. Nobody ever gave a **** about the state health inspector we made sure we had a clean store because a) it was good for the back of the house because good scores meant raises, b) we all ate there either for free or half off and we wanted clean food, and c) good food meant better tips for the front of the house. Now I no longer work in a restaurant but I work in hundreds of restaurants as I make and install fridge and oven gaskets and I can tell you without a doubt that the worst kitchens I've seen are those with overworked and underpayed illegal immigrants staffing the kitchen and the best kitchens I've seen were corporate owned kitchens employing professional staff at good wages.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •