Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 184

Thread: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate

  1. #111
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I see both sides on this. I applaud the lemonade stand owner for having some initiative, but on the other hand, nobody knows if this person washed their hands, used clean dishes, etc.
    Nobody know if anyone in any restaurant anywhere, washes their hands or uses clean dishes... no one goes to a restaurant, goes into the back and inspects, tests and verifies ... they "trust" that this occurrs. But as I've said at least twice in this thread (or perhaps other ones), clean hands had nothinng to do with it... the issue was no piece of paper and no payment. Supposedly, many in this thread are making an assumption that a $120 license guarantee's people wash their hands or don't spit in burgers. You are woefully wrong... nor does an up-to-date State Health Inspection certification hanging on your favorite restaurant's wall mean people wash their hands or use clean dishes either.

    Little pieces of paper don't mean squat.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #112
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Nanny state. Leave em be.
    Yeah, because children are entitled to the freedom to run over things, creatures, and people with a machine that spins blades at high speed or to drive into oncoming traffic on a motorized mower without having to know any rules of the road.

  3. #113
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Nobody know if anyone in any restaurant anywhere, washes their hands or uses clean dishes... no one goes to a restaurant, goes into the back and inspects, tests and verifies ... they "trust" that this occurrs. But as I've said at least twice in this thread (or perhaps other ones), clean hands had nothinng to do with it... the issue was no piece of paper and no payment. Supposedly, many in this thread are making an assumption that a $120 license guarantee's people wash their hands or don't spit in burgers. You are woefully wrong... nor does an up-to-date State Health Inspection certification hanging on your favorite restaurant's wall mean people wash their hands or use clean dishes either.

    Little pieces of paper don't mean squat.
    Well, you're wrong. People don't go back to inspect such things - the government sends inspectors to do such things, and the people trust those inspectors. And there are flaws with that, I will readily agree with you.

    However, it is better to have such a licensing requirement so inspectors can be sent than not having them. The more often a place does unlawful health practices, the more likely an inspector will find out and shut them down. So while it's not perfect, places that are blatantly unsafe about health regulations get shut down while those who do engage in safe practices are allowed to continue operation.

  4. #114
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    No, I don't. But then again a roadside lemonade stand may not be the only business a child may try to start in. There are also kids who try to mow lawns for some money. I think the dangers of a child operating a machine designed to turn sharpened blades at high speed is pretty apparent.

    Oh for God's sake! Listen as a boy I used to mow a couple of neighbors lawns for cash so that I could go to the movies and such. As many a young boy has. I also caddy'd for the local country club on the weekends as well. I am sure you see that as child labor. I saw it as my own money! Something I didn't have to ask mom and dad for. And it taught me a valuable lesson, something today's kids are lacking because of thinking like yours, and that is work ethic.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #115
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Yeah, because children are entitled to the freedom to run over things, creatures, and people with a machine that spins blades at high speed or to drive into oncoming traffic on a motorized mower without having to know any rules of the road.

    Don't you see the flaw in your thinking here? Really?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #116
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh for God's sake! Listen as a boy I used to mow a couple of neighbors lawns for cash so that I could go to the movies and such. As many a young boy has. I also caddy'd for the local country club on the weekends as well. I am sure you see that as child labor. I saw it as my own money! Something I didn't have to ask mom and dad for. And it taught me a valuable lesson, something today's kids are lacking because of thinking like yours, and that is work ethic.
    How does paying $5 for a business license prevent someone from learning a valuable lesson while working, or prevent them from developing a good work ethic?

  7. #117
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Don't you see the flaw in your thinking here? Really?
    I think any flaw in my thinking is about on par with the flaws in your thinking that saying requiring children to get a $5 business license to operate is evidence of an authoritarian nanny-state intent on stealing their money via overreaching taxes.

  8. #118
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    This entire issue is due to idiotic bureaucracy, not Liberalism. The child's lemonade stand is a staple of classic American culture. The fact that this particular one was shut down because they didn't have a proper license comes down to government officials having nothing better to do with their time. However, leave it to certain hyper-partisan posters here to milk the feigned outrage udder for all it's worth by pointing the finger at Liberalism. I think most of us can agree, across political lines, that this shouldn't have happened and that these government officials should shift their focus to issues that actually require attention.

  9. #119
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    How does paying $5 for a business license prevent someone from learning a valuable lesson while working, or prevent them from developing a good work ethic?
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac
    Don't you see the flaw in your thinking here? Really?
    I think any flaw in my thinking is about on par with the flaws in your thinking that saying requiring children to get a $5 business license to operate is evidence of an authoritarian nanny-state intent on stealing their money via overreaching taxes.

    Look Sam, you seem like an intelligent liberal, surely you know what a strawman is right? You should stick to facts. It isn't $5 we are talking about here, it is $120. Did you even read the article? And the larger question that we are supposedly discussing, (although it takes two to discuss) is whether the government should be concerning themselves with a 7 year olds lemonade stand at a yard sale, instead of that restaurant with rats in the basement that they accepted a $1000. kickback (or fine if you wish) to look the other way. This is about some low level liberal with power accreting that power on a defenseless child in a bullying way. Oh, I am sure she could feel the "S" on her pink leotard under her clothes shinning as she effortlessly closed down the kids stand, and threatened a fine. What a model human being....She should be proud she thwarted a 7 year old from making a $1.50, what a joke!

    Hey, she should have left the kid alone, Obama could have claimed 7 more jobs saved from that one.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #120
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, you're wrong. People don't go back to inspect such things - the government sends inspectors to do such things, and the people trust those inspectors. And there are flaws with that, I will readily agree with you.
    As someone who's worked in his fair share of restaurants, I'm simply going to state you know not what you speak of. Inspectors show up usually twice per year. They do not inspect hands, nor plates. And if people do trust those inspectors - Barnum said it "There a sucker born every minute".

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    However, it is better to have such a licensing requirement so inspectors can be sent than not having them. The more often a place does unlawful health practices, the more likely an inspector will find out and shut them down. So while it's not perfect, places that are blatantly unsafe about health regulations get shut down while those who do engage in safe practices are allowed to continue operation.
    Yet in this case there was no health inspection, there was a missing "fee". Therefore hands, washing, cleanliness etc... are irrelevant. All they needed was to pay $120 bucks and then piss in the lemonade. The piece of paper means nothing.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •