Page 98 of 189 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 971 to 980 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #971
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,314

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Not true Redress. You want to throw out all laws banning homosexual marriage in favor of allowing it so why can't other alternative lifestyles throw out the laws you enjoy for the sake of your argument?
    Well as soon as you actually apply the things people are ACTUALLY arguing in opposition to gay marriage realistically and legitimately toward polygamy you may have a case.

    However, most people keep arguing this point from a basis of stereotypes, and assume that those on the opposite side much simply except it even if they don't fit that stereotypes.

    For me, as I've been taking the gender discrimination tact, no ones been able to show me where NUMBER of people is a protected status anywhere near the level of sexual orientation.

    In regards to those arguing sexual orientation, their argument is that sexual orientation should be included at the same stricter levels of at least gender if not race/religion/etc, and have reasons supporting that. Those that oppose it with polygamy rarely have legitimate reasons why "Number of people" should be a protected status.

    Perhaps the Polygamy argument would be useful if anyone ever presented it in a way other than "Yeah well, um, if you think that way you have to think Polygamy is okay too or your a BIGOT cause um....I don't have any reasons, but cause I say so!"
    Forget "LWOP", until this shutdown ends I get to enjoy "WWOP": Work Without Pay

  2. #972
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    What part of "It doesn't matter what the majority wants, the majority may not infringe upon the rights of the minority" do you not understand?
    Yes 7% of the population rules over the majority

  3. #973
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,199

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Yes 7% of the population rules over the majority
    No, the federal Constitution rules over the majority, and the federal Constitution protects the Constitutional rights of the minority.

  4. #974
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You completely lost me here. What does the state mandating gender roles in marriage have to do with pedophiles?
    ask barry's doj

    And yet — sorry, the contradictions keep coming — once Obama was elected, and once a gay couple in California had sued to overturn DOMA, his Administration not only defended the law, but defended it in a legal argument so reactionary that it would embarrass Dick Cheney (who, incidentally, is to the left of Obama on marriage). In that argument — here's a PDF courtesy of Georgetown professor Nan Hunter — Obama's lawyers noted that "courts have widely held that certain marriages performed elsewhere need not be given effect, because they conflicted with ... public policy." The examples the Justice Department offered: "marriage of uncle to niece," "marriage of 16-year-old," "marriage of first cousins."
    Why Does Obama Keep Flip-Flopping on Gay Marriage? - TIME

  5. #975
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-18 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Or is it beyond your ability to explain? Instead of just making an insult, how about you also answer the question?
    I didn't because Redress knows full well what my position is on the subject, and rather than derail the thread any further, I decided to refrain. The comprehension comment is legitimate, since Redress does not comprehend my viewpoint as even valid.

    Carry on..


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  6. #976
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-18 @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I was quoting the one where they were arguing that gay marriage should be banned in California because 30 other states have banned it.
    I never said that, nor did I quote it.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #977
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,673
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    don't talk about liberal elitism on a thread about a CA judge overturning a proposition

    unbelievable
    He is a conservative judge. Do try and keep up...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    I’ve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  8. #978
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,199

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    That doesn't answer my question. What does the state mandating gender roles in marriage have to do with pedophiles?

  9. #979
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,155

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Yes 7% of the population rules over the majority
    So did you read the post I quoted and responded to or are you just in knee-jerk response mode no matter how foolish your replies are?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #980
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,673
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    unbelievable
    Irony.......
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    I’ve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •