Page 97 of 189 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 970 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #961
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What the hell is this? Are we trying the "oh the children" argument? If gay marriage is made legal, all the school should say on the issue is the same that is said now, except replace "man and woman" with "2 people". How the hell is this some issue even worth mentioning?
    Its absolutely valid you just don't like addressing it.

    You wish to throw out law banning gay marriage. When a child and an adult come to you and say they want to get married and you can't deny them their "right" they are using the same argument as you are ie their "right" to marray. You can't then proclaim there are laws against chidren marrying adults because you just threw out law banning your favored alternative lifestyle. Thats the fallacy of the gay marriage movment. You want gay marriage? Fight for an ammendment don't try to get activist judges to bastardize the Constitution into pretending they were ever addressing homosexual marriage when it is painfully clear they never did.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  2. #962
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    because, purely hypothetically, any person might be a pedophile

    for example

    or so obama's doj argued in the central district last june

    Why Does Obama Keep Flip-Flopping on Gay Marriage? - TIME
    You completely lost me here. What does the state mandating gender roles in marriage have to do with pedophiles?

  3. #963
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The argumentum ad populum I was citing in the post you quoted.
    I went back two pages, can you be more specific? I don't recall an argumentum ad populum I was quoting?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #964
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Its absolutely valid you just don't like addressing it.

    You wish to throw out law banning gay marriage. When a child and an adult come to you and say they want to get married and you can't deny them their "right" they are using the same argument as you are ie their "right" to marray. You can't then proclaim there are laws against chidren marrying adults because you just threw out law banning your favored alternative lifestyle. Thats the fallacy of the gay marriage movment. You want gay marriage? Fight for an ammendment don't try to get activist judges to bastardize the Constitution into pretending they were ever addressing homosexual marriage when it is painfully clear they never did.
    Marriage is based on mutual consent. Children cannot consent. Therefore your argument is moot.

  5. #965
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, was fun all but I gotta actually go do work away from the computer. I'm sure it'll be 10 pages longer by the time I get back
    Count your blessings if only 10 pages. I just got home, and was 400 posts back when I started, and still a long way to go.

    Worst past is I was not going to post anything till I got caught up, but could not manage that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #966
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    When it's not an issue that violates the Constitution. Not every vote of the people is a Constitutional issue. If the voters decide to raise or lower a tax in their state, for instance, not much a court can do about that.
    Then fight for an ammendement or law recognizing gay marriage. Stop trying to bastardize the Constitution into pretending it addressed this subject in the past when every rational person knows it never did.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #967
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Its absolutely valid you just don't like addressing it.

    You wish to throw out law banning gay marriage. When a child and an adult come to you and say they want to get married and you can't deny them their "right" they are using the same argument as you are ie their "right" to marray. You can't then proclaim there are laws against chidren marrying adults because you just threw out law banning your favored alternative lifestyle. Thats the fallacy of the gay marriage movment. You want gay marriage? Fight for an ammendment don't try to get activist judges to bastardize the Constitution into pretending they were ever addressing homosexual marriage when it is painfully clear they never did.
    Children cannot enter into contract by themselves. They cannot do so until age of consent.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #968
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I went back two pages, can you be more specific? I don't recall an argumentum ad populum I was quoting?

    Tim-
    I was quoting the one where they were arguing that gay marriage should be banned in California because 30 other states have banned it.

  9. #969
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Just another sign that gays want their immoral behavior to be seen as normal
    So? My immoral behavior is seen as normal (well generally), although I am not gay.. here is a startling revelation for you.. it is normal for humans to have a sex drive, and to act on it.

    not that has anything to do with this argument, or the issue at hand, marriage is >> sex (aka immoral behavior)
    Last edited by marduc; 08-05-10 at 04:48 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  10. #970
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Then fight for an ammendement or law recognizing gay marriage. Stop trying to bastardize the Constitution into pretending it addressed this subject in the past when every rational person knows it never did.
    Nobody said that gay marriage has been addressed in the past by the Constitution. The Constitution protects broad rights, not specific ones like marriage. For example, a broad right that the Constitution protects is Equal Protection under the law. Another one is due process. These rights in and of themselves have nothing to do with marriage, but they can be applied to marriage and a number of other things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •