Page 95 of 189 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #941
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Never going to happen. Also, you failed to mention things like tax law, which is not something individuals can assign.
    That's cause in my ideal, the tax thing is not necessary as your tax rate would not be affected by your marriage status (there should be no tax breaks for married people, nor should there be tax breaks for having kids). Also, if you look at what I wrote there, I did pretty much say it wouldn't happen; the government would not give up the power. And thus so long as the marriage license exists, you can't exclude gays. So I don't know, I'm pretty damned sure whatever base contention you had was covered in the original post.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #942
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Why not? I just provided a good argument for why it shouldn't be a fundamental right, at least not construed to include everyone. Do you find my argument lacking in some way? Please elaborate.

    Tim-
    I agree. Making a blatant logical fallacy is just about as good an argument as marriage shouldn't be a Constitutionally protected right. In my mind they are pretty much equally irrational.

  3. #943
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I doubt that anyone is going to be challenging whether marriage is a Constitutionally protected right in this case.
    Its not. Its a privilege.
    You can only get married because the state creates a mechanism that allows it, and then allows you to engage in it. This necessarily means it is a pirivilege, not a right, because you cannot do it until the state allows you to do so by the creation of the institution, and the state can, at any point, end the institution.

  4. #944
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Again one more time, now pay attention their might be a test.....The majority of the people (31-0 states and growing) so far have said they don't want the instituion of marriage redefined to a class of people defined by their sexual orientation.......What part of that do you not understand?
    What part of "It doesn't matter what the majority wants, the majority may not infringe upon the rights of the minority" do you not understand?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #945
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I may be a bit biased about polygamy, being an old man of 64, but I think that having more than one spouse at the same time is crazy stupid. The logistics of it has to be difficult at best.
    If I was 24, I might have a different opinion....
    UtahBill is so awesome. Wished you posted more often sir.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #946
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I thought you might like to see a picture of her.



    You might want to spend some time learning about what we are talking about before making these repeated mistakes.
    Transvestite! Now it all makes sense
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #947
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    He knows this. It's just easier to keep parroting the same failed arguments.
    Not true Redress. You want to throw out all laws banning homosexual marriage in favor of allowing it so why can't other alternative lifestyles throw out the laws you enjoy for the sake of your argument?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #948
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Its not. Its a privilege.
    You can only get married because the state creates a mechanism that allows it, and then allows you to engage in it. This necessarily means it is a pirivilege, not a right, because you cannot do it until the state allows you to do so by the creation of the institution, and the state can, at any point, end the institution.
    Which is why I'm happy to see state mandated gender roles in marriage coming to an end in California with this ruling. Why should the state get to mandate what role my sex plays in marriage?

  9. #949
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Which is why I'm happy to see state mandated gender roles in marriage coming to an end in California with this ruling. Why should the state get to mandate what role my sex plays in marriage?
    The point was that your statement about marriage being a right is in error.

  10. #950
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Do children have the intellectual capacity to reconcile the gay marriage issue, or homosexuality, if taught in the public schools as perfectly "normal"?


    Tim-
    What the hell is this? Are we trying the "oh the children" argument? If gay marriage is made legal, all the school should say on the issue is the same that is said now, except replace "man and woman" with "2 people". How the hell is this some issue even worth mentioning?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •