Page 92 of 189 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #911
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    taxes are an entirely separate issue
    Not when you are married. Why benefits an issue and taxes are not. There are bad things the government does to married people.

  2. #912
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    He should have reclused himself on this case because he is biased and definitely has a dog in this fight..........
    You have some evidence he wants to get gay married? If not, your argument is patently absurd.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #913
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Not when you are married. Why benefits an issue and taxes are not. There are bad things the government does to married people.
    I don't disagree with you, which is why I think marriage if ****ing stupid to begin with.

    However, our legal system has defined marriage as a right and has denied me the right to marry a woman while extending that right to a man. So regardless of how retarded I think the institution of marriage is personally, it's the legal equality that I am concerned with.

  4. #914
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You already have the same rights. you want a special right...............Hell I can't have 4 wives, why should you be allowed to marry your boyfriend............
    This is a red herring, as has been shown time and again. Gay marriage and polygamy are not the same thing, not even close.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #915
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Actually, legally speaking, it is a fundamental right because the courts set the precedent in their rulings.

    Taylor versus Safely (1987): "the decision to marry is a fundamental right" and "marriage is an experssion of emotional support and public committment."

    Zablocki versus Redhail (1978): "The right to marry is of fundamental importance for all individauls."

    Clevland Board of Edcuation versus LaFleur (1974): "This court has long recognized that freedom of personal choice in matters of marriage and family life is one of the libertieis protected buy the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment."

    Loving versus Virginia (1967): The "freedom to marry has long been recongized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursut of happiness by free men."
    Yes, however if I were arguing in front of the Supremes I'd take the tac that marriage is not fundamental to human beings, only to a specifc class of them.

    In other words, the other judges got it wrong. Assuming of course that marriage belong without presumption or cost of privilege to all human beings under such jurisdiction.

    So, the conservative supremes will be itching to overturn, and it leaves only Kennedy as the swing vote. He might, or he might not construe fundamental. If it is deemed to be not a fundamental right, then the 14th doesn't apply. States are free to legislate their own desitiny, or in the instant case, by way of ballot initiative.

    Tim-
    Last edited by Hicup; 08-05-10 at 04:22 PM. Reason: To add
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  6. #916
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is a red herring, as has been shown time and again. Gay marriage and polygamy are not the same thing, not even close.
    Shhhh! you'll make his head assplode!

  7. #917
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I don't disagree with you, which is why I think marriage if ****ing stupid to begin with.

    However, our legal system has defined marriage as a right and has denied me the right to marry a woman while extending that right to a man. So regardless of how retarded I think the institution of marriage is personally, it's the legal equality that I am concerned with.
    I don't see where they made it a right other than to tax you. The taxes start with the marriage license and never stop.

  8. #918
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,116

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Yes, however if I were arguing in front of the Supremes I'd take the tac that marriage is not fundamental to human beings, only to a specifc class of them.

    In other words, the other judges got it wrong. Assuming of course that marriage belong without presumption or cost of privilege to all human beings under such jurisdiction.

    Tim-
    If you want to go through all 4 of those cases and argue why the Supreme Court was wrong in its conclusion that marriage is a Constitutionally protected right, then have at it. I'm sure it would make a good thread. However, you asked for the legal precedent, and it is firmly established. The federal government sees marriage as a fundamental right. Neither side of the Prop 8 case argued that marriage was not a fundamental right.

  9. #919
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I don't see where they made it a right other than to tax you. The taxes start with the marriage license and never stop.
    Sooo... you haven't seen these rulings?

    Taylor versus Safely (1987): "the decision to marry is a fundamental right" and "marriage is an experssion of emotional support and public committment."

    Zablocki versus Redhail (1978): "The right to marry is of fundamental importance for all individauls."

    Clevland Board of Edcuation versus LaFleur (1974): "This court has long recognized that freedom of personal choice in matters of marriage and family life is one of the libertieis protected buy the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment."

    Loving versus Virginia (1967): The "freedom to marry has long been recongized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursut of happiness by free men."
    Hey look, I think the govt should be out of the marriage racket altogether. But until they ARE out of the marriage racket, they need to extend the right equally.

  10. #920
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Well, the German people overwhelmingly put the Nazis and Adolf Hitler in power. That didn't make them right either, did it?
    the expressed will of the majorities of 31 of 31 states...

    and NAZIS!

    LOL!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •