Page 87 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #861
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    That is completely wrong. It is not sufficient that a state comply with due process. They have to meet all of the Constitutional protections, including equal protection.
    Why? The US Supreme Court can do the same thing. The 14th doesn't say that equal protection must always be the order of the day. In fact it sets out exactly that, in order to alter any perception of equal protection, one must follow the "process".

    I know you know, but it reads like this:

    Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    Show me where the due process clause was not met in Prop 8? Two kinds of due process are used these days, substantive, and procedural. In CA, the procedural, and substantive burdens were met. How can the SCOTUS strike it down?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #862
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Why? The US Supreme Court can do the same thing. The 14th doesn't say that equal protection must always be the order of the day. In fact it sets out exactly that, in order to alter any perception of equal protection, one must follow the "process".

    I know you know, but it reads like this:



    Show me where the due process clause was not met in Prop 8? Two kinds of due process are used these days, substantive, and procedural. In CA, the procedural, and substantive burdens were met. How can the SCOTUS strike it down?


    Tim-
    I'm not disagreeing with you on the due process claim. I'm going to have to carefully read the decision because I can't see a due process issue myself. I haven't read the entire decision so I don't know what the judge hung his hat on.

    However, you are dead wrong on the equal protection issue. The court will have to address the issue if the case is brought before them, unless they strike down prop 8 on due process claims. If they don't find a due process challenge, they have no choice but to address the equal protection challenge.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #863
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Really? I would argue otherise - that people are naturally oriented toward polygamy (men, more so) and that monogamy is the "unnatural" orientation. Hence the need for a social institution promoting monogamy.
    Sexual orientation describes a pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions to men, women, both genders, neither gender, or another gender. According to the American Psychological Association, sexual orientation is enduring and also refers to a person's sense of "personal and social identity based on those attractions, behaviors expressing them, and membership in a community of others who share them."

    Sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nothing about the number of partners. Sexual orienation is about the gender one is attracted to. You are wrong on this.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #864
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,982

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    How incredibly naive. This is a culture war. The fact of the matter is that the extremists on both sides base their careers on the perpetuation of this culture war.
    Thus why I said "I wish" not "I think will happen"

  5. #865
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,680

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    I didn't read the thread but have a question, what benefits/rights do gay couples now have that they didn't have before the ruling?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #866
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Sure you can. This is why I do not buy into the whole discrimination argument. It's a stalemate. The "what's good for both society and individuals inside the society" argument is far cleaner. With this, it is easy to allow things that benefit society, and prevent things that do not. This is why the polygamy argument is easily refuted and is irrelevant.
    You realize (I hope) that what you just said is contradictory? Are you not "discriminating" when "allowing" things that you deem good, and disallowing things you deem bad? LOL

    Tim-


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #867
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Exactly. States should issue civil unions and churches should be free to marry whomever their religion dictates. I have a feeling that the anti-gay marriage crowd would not be comfortable with this though because some churches would allow gays to marry.
    This has been my position and is the best position to manage this issue.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #868
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you on the due process claim. I'm going to have to carefully read the decision because I can't see a due process issue myself. I haven't read the entire decision so I don't know what the judge hung his hat on.

    However, you are dead wrong on the equal protection issue. The court will have to address the issue if the case is brought before them, unless they strike down prop 8 on due process claims. If they don't find a due process challenge, they have no choice but to address the equal protection challenge.
    Agreed, but due process will come first. That's all I was saying.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #869
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I didn't read the thread but have a question, what benefits/rights do gay couples now have that they didn't have before the ruling?
    There is a good summary here:

    Legal and economic benefits of marriage

  10. #870
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I didn't read the thread but have a question, what benefits/rights do gay couples now have that they didn't have before the ruling?
    Hopefully the right to marry the person they love and want to establish a monogamous relationship with.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •