Page 71 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #701
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    today, gay marriage

    tomorrow, polygamy

    LOL!

    now, there's a WINNING argument

    let me ask you---after polygamy, what's next for the enlightened?

    hey, when you're right in your own opened and expanded mind---AND YOU KNOW IT---of what worth are the sentiments of a bunch of backward looking, small minded neighbors, fellow workers, associates...

    just like 31 states---a bunch of crap
    Yeah, what's next! Pigs marrying horses?!! Seriously, come up with some new material. The "what's next" argument is tired and weak.

  2. #702
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Why is the limitation to men and women? Why not children marrying children or children marrying men or women? If you are going to expand equal protection under the law to include sexual orientation you cannot descriminate against any sexual orientation.
    Lobbing me up soft balls Tex.

    Age is a lower level of discrimination in regards to the standards needing to be met for Equal Protection. Additionally its been upheld that a status of a “minor” is allowable. There is legitimate reasons for state interest in having a minor category. As such the legal status of a minor, or more importantly the limited legal status, prevents them from entering into such a marriage.

    You can’t really argue my point if you’re going to ignore my point. No where in the post you quoted did I speak a whit to sexual orientation. I care not about sexual orientation, I’m not speaking about the EPC in regards to sexual orientation, it’s a strawman you’ve plucked from no where.

    I am specifically speaking about GENDER.

  3. #703
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Yeah, what's next! Pigs marrying horses?!! Seriously, come up with some new material. The "what's next" argument is tired and weak.
    tell it to the dungeon master

    unless it's off topic

  4. #704
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Zyphlin, equal protection prevails after due process. Due process, is the key here. It is the same as "reasonable" in legal circles. This ruling is due process, but my beef is in the Judges ruling, and the language of it. She cites a lack of due process, but that's not true? Equal protection can be legislated for, "provided" the due process test is met. That's it and that's all.

    Tim-
    Actually, in this case it doesn’t. We’ll see what the Surpeme Court says. My personal opinion in this case the state interest does not rise to the level needed to legitimize gender discrimination which requires one of the highest burdens of proof on the part of the State, falling behind race at the top, needed to be able to justify such discrimination.

  5. #705
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Zyphlin -
    In regards to members of the same family, it’s a reasonable argument to make that the state has legitimate and reasoned state interest to deny such marriages due to the fact that procreation between those two individuals has a higher chance for genetic deformity which could place a drain on society as a whole in having to help support that individual
    Hmm.. Not sure I agree here. Again I am not an advocate of sibling marriages, but the science disagrees with you; or, at the very least inconclusive. Besides, how does abortion reasonably serve the government interest?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  6. #706
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You left out the best one Zyph....the one where Navy called Rasmussen a "biased pollster that only polls liberals"......

    That's always been my favorite.
    And is also irrelevant to my post or this thread. I wasn't dragging those up to take shots at Navy or poke him as if its some fun kind of game because I like to harass him or because I'm trying to bait him as is evident in other threads at various times by other people.

    I picked quotes specifically that back up whats being talked about in my point and in relation to the topic, namely that polls can be easily manipulated and are based off in part whose conducting them and whose being asked, and that governing or taking government action based singularly on polls is a foolish endevour.

  7. #707
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Not that I advocate children marrying children, I do however wish to raise the point, at which time does a childs inability to marry another child, legitimately serve the government interest?


    Tim-
    Because children do not have the intellectual development to be able to meet the minimal standards required to knowingly enter into a legally binding contract.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #708
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Why is the limitation to men and women? Why not children marrying children or children marrying men or women? If you are going to expand equal protection under the law to include sexual orientation you cannot descriminate against any sexual orientation.
    The state has a compelling interest in protecting children/minors from being abused by adults. Minors lack the emotional maturity to make decisions about sexual intercourse and marriage.

  9. #709
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, in this case it doesn’t. We’ll see what the Surpeme Court says. My personal opinion in this case the state interest does not rise to the level needed to legitimize gender discrimination which requires one of the highest burdens of proof on the part of the State, falling behind race at the top, needed to be able to justify such discrimination.
    To my understanding, Preponderance of the evidence is the burden of proof, not beyond reasonable doubt. If the former, then it's not the highest burden.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  10. #710
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Zyphlin -

    Hmm.. Not sure I agree here. Again I am not an advocate of sibling marriages, but the science disagrees with you; or, at the very least inconclusive. Besides, how does abortion reasonably serve the government interest?

    Tim-
    First, where in the world did abortion come into this? More so, where in the world does abortion even need to serve government interest. Seriously, take your derail elsewhere. No where in my post am I even speaking about abortion.

    Second, I readily admit its been a while since I've looked into any studies regarding the potential for higher genetic defects when close relatives produce off spring. If I'm wrong then sure, I may have to change my view on the illegality (if not the social stigma) of such practices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •