Page 44 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #431
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Rule of law can only be valid when justice is applied.
    Broadly, justice is the equal application of rules, to everyone.
    My major gripe is that everyone seems to be saying that it's a good thing because they like the result, without actually providing a legal argument.
    Rule of Law means that the law is upheld. If there is nothing in any law that would make Prop 8 unconstitutional, then it is violating the rule of law, in the name of justice, to strike it down as such.
    Maybe it is unconstitutional. But people here don't seemed to be concerned about whether it is or not, they just want it struck down in the name of "justice".

    I disagree.
    I think democracy is a poor way to decide things.
    I know, and we've already argued about this. But my point was that you misused the argumentatum ad populum accusation.

  2. #432
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I disagree.
    I think democracy is a poor way to decide things.
    If you think sovereignty rests with the people, its the only real way.

  3. #433
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Maybe it is unconstitutional. But people here don't seemed to be concerned about whether it is or not, they just want it struck down in the name of "justice".
    I tend to think that it's about as legal as miscegenation laws. Which is to say, not very.

  4. #434
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    If you think sovereignty rests with the people, its the only real way.
    Straight democracy is prone to manipulation by demagogues, which is why I believe that a constitutional republic is a superior form of government.

  5. #435
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    I don't care if gays marry, but it shouldn't be allowed in a Christian church. The bible specifically states that homosexuality is an abomination to the Lord. Considering that marriage is "holy matrimony" I think it is a complete and utter disrespect to the church for gays to marry there. Get married in a hall, or anywhere, but not a church. To me, that is NOT right.

  6. #436
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I don't care if gays marry, but it shouldn't be allowed in a Christian church. The bible specifically states that homosexuality is an abomination to the Lord. Considering that marriage is "holy matrimony" I think it is a complete and utter disrespect to the church for gays to marry there. Get married in a hall, or anywhere, but not a church. To me, that is NOT right.
    No one is suggesting that Christian churches be forced to marry gays if they don't want to.

  7. #437
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    My major gripe is that everyone seems to be saying that it's a good thing because they like the result, without actually providing a legal argument.
    Rule of Law means that the law is upheld. If there is nothing in any law that would make Prop 8 unconstitutional, then it is violating the rule of law, in the name of justice, to strike it down as such.
    Maybe it is unconstitutional. But people here don't seemed to be concerned about whether it is or not, they just want it struck down in the name of "justice".
    Well let's get something straight.
    I don't use the "fairy" version of justice (like social justice and all that nonsense).

    I'm talking about actual equity and harmony of the law.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I know, and we've already argued about this. But my point was that you misused the argumentatum ad populum accusation.
    Not really because every time I ask for a reason, as to why it should be banned, the argument trotted out is that "the people" decided it.
    Not a good enough reason.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #438
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I don't care if gays marry, but it shouldn't be allowed in a Christian church. The bible specifically states that homosexuality is an abomination to the Lord. Considering that marriage is "holy matrimony" I think it is a complete and utter disrespect to the church for gays to marry there. Get married in a hall, or anywhere, but not a church. To me, that is NOT right.
    That decision would be up to the church.

  9. #439
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Straight democracy is prone to manipulation by demagogues, which is why I believe that a constitutional republic is a superior form of government.
    Oh I agree, but the people should always be the ultimate authority.

  10. #440
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    If you think sovereignty rests with the people, its the only real way.
    Sovereignty over your life, should be solely left to you.

    Sovereignty over the lives of others, no.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •