Page 43 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #421
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think you misunderstand what it means to have right to contract. I want to enter into a marriage contract, which has many legal consequences and privileges, with Bob. But I can't because someone else said I cannot enter into that contract with another dude. You have thus infringed upon my right to contract. You don't get to dictate the terms to me, it's my right to contract. If y'all got together and said "Ikari cannot enter into a contract with another man over painting his house", you have infringed upon my right to contract. My right to contract isn't subject to the communities whims. Communities and societies do not have rights; only individuals have rights. The State cannot infringe upon my right to contract either. The one and only limitation to my right to contract is that I cannot infringe upon the rights of others while exercising it.
    Wait a minute...you are a dude?!?

    Sorry, but some one was going to do it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #422
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    You alluded to them being immoral by your statement. If your stand is different, say so.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Dear, you haven't a clue where I stand on the LGBT community, don't pre-judge.

  3. #423
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    The alleged majority needs to get over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Cough Cough "No it's not" Cough Cough.

    Nice try though.

    Different label, doesn't piss the majority off, get's the important stuff done.

  4. #424
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    What is this about flaunting? People should just be able to BE who they are, not pretend to be straight so as not to upset the ... well, easily upset.
    I know right.

    I get J. Witnesses knocking on my door all the time.
    I'm not a Witness but do respect them as whole, like gay people.

    Bunch of cry babies in this world.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #425
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Justice > "will of the people"
    Rule of law > "Justice"

    Argumentatum ad populum does not apply to things that are actually related to popular will, such as laws determined by a vote. Saying that it should be determined democratically is not, in itself, ad populum. Saying that it should be decided democratically because that is what most people want would be.

  6. #426
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Rule of law > "Justice"
    Rule of law can only be valid when justice is applied.
    Broadly, justice is the equal application of rules, to everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Argumentatum ad populum does not apply to things that are actually related to popular will, such as laws determined by a vote. Saying that it should be determined democratically is not, in itself, ad populum. Saying that it should be decided democratically because that is what most people want would be.
    I disagree.
    I think democracy is a poor way to decide things.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #427
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Yes, and for many states the process ruled that it was perfectly Constitutional to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. This judge violated the Constitution and spun it in order to impose his personal beliefs into law.
    If this is the case, it will be sorted out at the next level. Both sides stated that if they lost, they'd continue the case all the way to the supreme court, which is where it probably should end up, anyway.

  8. #428
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think you misunderstand what it means to have right to contract. I want to enter into a marriage contract, which has many legal consequences and privileges, with Bob. But I can't because someone else said I cannot enter into that contract with another dude. You have thus infringed upon my right to contract. You don't get to dictate the terms to me, it's my right to contract. If y'all got together and said "Ikari cannot enter into a contract with another man over painting his house", you have infringed upon my right to contract. My right to contract isn't subject to the communities whims. Communities and societies do not have rights; only individuals have rights. The State cannot infringe upon my right to contract either. The one and only limitation to my right to contract is that I cannot infringe upon the rights of others while exercising it.
    You can enter a marriage contract with a dude whenever you want. The question is whether or not the government will recognize it.

  9. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    In this case gay marriage was not allowed so what right was lost?
    The right of gay people to marry the partner of their choice. They were being treated like second class citizens because gay marriage wasn't allowed.

  10. #430
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    You can enter a marriage contract with a dude whenever you want. The question is whether or not the government will recognize it.
    And the issue is that the government shouldn't have one standard for one set of Americans, and a separate standard for another set of Americans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •