Page 36 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #351
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So if people voted to take away voting rights from certain people you'd be okay with that right?

    After all the people voted on it right.....
    This vote did not take away rights it agreed with laws on the books

  2. #352
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    It is a contract with the force of law. An individual cannot decide what has the force of law over another person. Whether a contract has the force of law is up to the government. Your legal argument would allow polygamy and the chaos that would result.
    My legal argument could indeed be extended to polygamy, so long as the polygamy is enacted along the rights and liberties of the individual. In almost all cases of socialized polygamy, however, that has not been the case. I would also doubt that chaos would result. But as for the polygamy route, you could cite precedent in that Utah was not admitted to the Union until it made polygamy illegal.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    We're a Constitutional Republic, not a pure Democracy. Time to learn the difference.
    Amendments to state constitutions hav to be voted on by the people

  4. #354
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's because your beliefs were illegal
    whoa!

    curiouser and curiouser becomes the barrister

    so much jargon, so tossed off, cavalier, self satisfied...

    leading to?

    YOUR BELIEFS ARE ILLEGAL!

    LOL!

    unbelievable
    Last edited by The Prof; 08-04-10 at 09:27 PM.

  5. #355
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-12 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    56

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Um, yes they are. The judge just ruled that it's illegal for people to vote against gay marriage, and that it's illegal to have that view represented in the state. You're to smart and logical to be blind to this fact. Why can social liberals impose their beliefs upon others? Why is that ok? Why can they force their definition of marriage upon the majority who legally and democratically voted against it?
    I cut out all of the other stuff because it's getting tit-for-tatty. Quite simply, explain this please. When straights prevent gays from being able to marry, they are standing up for their own rights, rather than forcing their beliefs on gays. When the court determines they aren't allowed to prevent the gays from marrying, the liberals are forcing their beliefs on others, not standing up for their own rights. This is so twisted I don't see how you can even say it.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. -Thomas Jefferson

  6. #356
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Amendments to state constitutions hav to be voted on by the people
    And typically won through a super majority, not simple majority. They also must abide by the rights and liberties of the Constitution such as those in the BoR (including the 9th amendment). So while the people of a State can amend their constitution, the State constitution must be inline with the rights and liberties of the individual. Even State amendments can be struck down as unconstitutional.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    We are not a nation of "majority rules". Laws that infringe on the rights of people shouldn't stay just because 51% of the people have the personal belief that it should.

    Glad to hear this was overturned.

    So 7% of the people have authority over the rest of the country?

  8. #358
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    whoa!

    curiouser and curiouser becomes the barrister

    so much jargon, so tossed off, cavalier, self satisified...

    leading to?

    YOUR BELIEFS ARE ILLEGAL!

    LOL!

    unbelievable
    I already responded to this. Don't be a dumbass; keep the context intact.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #359
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Does the equal protection clause extend to sexual orientation and to force everyone to accept any orientation as legal? What about the rights of pansexuals? Why can't someone marry their kitchen stove? Among all the traditionally immoral sexualities, why does homosexuality have a special privilege? And yes, deny it all you want, but my right to vote and have my beliefs as law have been stripped from me in California when it comes to defining marriage. Don't be blind to it.
    It extends to any contract between two adults.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Strawman duly noted. Ignoring now. There are people who want to regulate speech in churches where they can't call homosexuality a sin.
    He asked a legit question. You're the one making up a straw man. Free speech in churches is another issue entirely. Stop diverting.

    No one is forcing churches to marry gay people. They can refuse ceremony. The licensing has always been an issue of state, regardless if the church is marrying gay or straight people. You still need government consent. The ceremony is about religious tradition, not legalities.

    Gay and straight couples can go have a wedding in a tree for all I care.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    My point is that homosexuals do flaunt their "pride" and force people to accept them by trouncing around in whatever they wear and calling everyone "haters" who don't support them.
    For the last time: NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO ACCEPT GAYS OR WATCH THEIR PRIDE PARADES. Your outrage is your own and has nothing to do with the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I don't care if gays kiss in public or state in the paper that they are "married."
    It relates to their ability to raise their families and have all the rights that heteros enjoy. If heteros can get married then gays can too.

    You so far have not presented ANY rational reason for denying them this right.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    oh wait, in California only pro-gay people have a right to any say on the issue.
    Anyone can hold a vote on any issue as long as it doesn't violate constitution. Prop 8 did and you need to arrive at this fact instead of continuing to flail with irrelevant information.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    The judge just ruled that it's illegal for people to vote against gay marriage, and that it's illegal to have that view represented in the state.
    The judge did no such thing. If the vote were illegal then it wouldn't have been added to the ballot in the first place. The vote ended up being non-binding because it violated the constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    You're to smart and logical to be blind to this fact. Why can social liberals impose their beliefs upon others? Why is that ok? Why can they force their definition of marriage upon the majority who legally and democratically voted against it?
    No one is opposing their beliefs on you. You can say this over and over again all you want but it will never be true. You just don't want gays to have equal access to marriage because you think marriage belongs to you and the church. It never has and never will just belong to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Homosexual unions aren't a right though. What right is being limited? The only right limited is people's right to vote and have their opinions put into law.
    No marriage is a "right" in the constitution. State licensing is a privilege that can be denied to anyone for any reason. But as long as straights are getting married so can gays. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    They did that in TN too, and the judge correctly ruled that my state has the right to define marriage. We voted, and passed Amendment 1 to legally define marriage.
    Well that's great for your state, but once SCOTUS rules it will be shot down because it violates equal protection.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    My rights are being curbed, in that my right to vote has been infringed upon by the judge who ruled the very voicing of my opinion on a ballot to be illegal. California stripped me of my rights and the right to vote on an issue that was presented before Californians. What is the logic behind the judge making prop 8 illegal?
    Blah blah blah... you need to learn what DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC means before you write another post.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I was merely exposing you to the truth that yes, Christians are persecuted and those of us who believe homosexuality is wrong get a damn beating for it. Again, attack my religion all you want.
    This ruling has ZERO to do with Christianity.

  10. #360
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I already responded to this. Don't be a dumbass; keep the context intact.
    Moderator's Warning:
    California gay marriage ban overturned: reportPlease do not do this
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •