Page 172 of 189 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #1711
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I've been waiting, and again, no one has addressed my question. If gay marriage is illegal to oppose. And if it's wrong to uphold a marital definition that excludes homosexual unions because that is unconstitutional under the equal protection clause. Then why can't other sexualities and their unions also be recognized? Why does homosexuality deserve special treatment? Wouldn't it also be wrong to exclude other sexualities and their unions from marriage? Are not other sexualities protected by the equal protection clause in this instance?
    What other sexualities are you talking about.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #1712
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Is it gender discrimination for federal buildings to have male and female restrooms?
    That falls under the whole "separate but equal" bulslhit that I also disagree with , but that's beside the point.

    Is it gender discrimination because men can't get pregnant? Nature is a ***** ain't she?
    Considering "mother nature" isn't a legal govt entity, no, it's not discrimination.

    The roles in marriage have been defined. Female partner=wife, male partner=husband. Marriage is a union between a wife and husband. If people don't like it, they can define a new union and have the state recognize that.
    Nah, we'll just redefine the original one. Again.

  3. #1713
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    I have absolutely no problem with polygamy as long as it follows the same rules as marriage. If its between CONSENTING ADULTS it doesn't bother me one bit.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #1714
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    This is about marriage.
    So what about marriage? If the state stops mandating the gender roles of marriage does that somehow affect the argument that marriage should be restricted to two people?

    Then its descrimatory to limit it to 2 people or by how old they are.
    Why is it discrimnatory? What class of people does it discriminate against? Sex, men and women, are a protected class, just like race is a protected class. Whereas sexual orientation is not a protected class, nor are polygamists or pedophiles. The judge found a wealth of evidence to support that the state had no rational grounds by which to prohibit two people of the same sex from marrying. Whereas polygamists and pedophiles are not only not a protected class, but they are not supported by any credible evidence.

    See? Once you throw out disciminatory and equal protection under the law, anyone can use it.
    Nope, only protected classes.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 08-09-10 at 03:48 PM.

  5. #1715
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Then you have to let everyone in under that general finding. Every alternative lifestyle dealing with people. Nothing could be exempt.
    No you don't. The discrimination is based on gender - pure and simple. That's it.

    It doesn't mean you have to let polygamists in. You don't have to let pedophiles in. Nor people who have sex with animals.

    Your argument holds absolutely no water. So stop using it. The decision only lifts gender discrimination from marriage. It doesn't let men marry eight men; nor does it let women marry cockroaches.

    You keep trying to make the slope slippery, but there is no slope there. It's only in your imagination and the imagination of James Dobson and Maggie Gallagher. No church is going to be required to marry gay people (just as a Christian church isn't required to do a Hindu wedding ceremony). Schools aren't going to be required to teach about it (a lie from the Mormon Church).

    All of this is in your imagination. Your opinion doesn't have to change. You can still think gays are icky people if you would like to. You don't even have to recognize gay marriages if you don't want to. Your government just can't discriminate against those choosing to enter into marriage based on their gender.

    That's all.

    Once again, there was no harm done in Massachusetts - the state with the lowest divorce rate in the Union back then and still now. It didn't ruin anyone else's marriage. The state didn't fall into the sea because God smote them. Everyone's life just went back to normal. Polygamists didn't flock there to marry. Pedophiles didn't flock there to marry. People didn't start marrying baboons.

    There's no there there.

    You know what a person who constantly fears the worst, exaggerates a lot, and freaks out over nothing is called? A drama queen.

  6. #1716
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    That falls under the whole "separate but equal" bulslhit that I also disagree with , but that's beside the point.
    But there are logical reasons to separating male and female restrooms. Separate but equal is sometimes necessary and not inherently bad. An apple and an orange are separate but equal as fruits.
    Considering "mother nature" isn't a legal govt entity, no, it's not discrimination.
    But the definition of marriage comes from mother nature's principals. The wife is the female who has the children, the male is the husband who provides the seed. That is one of the natural things within marriage and assigning the gender roles of the wife and husband. By definition, a woman cannot be a husband because she is not male. This isn't wrong, it's just logical and natural.
    Nah, we'll just redefine the original one. Again.
    Which is a moral stance. And until (or if) those definitions are changed, they shall be kept as wife=woman, husband=man.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #1717
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Is it gender discrimination for federal buildings to have male and female restrooms? Is it gender discrimination because men can't get pregnant? Nature is a ***** ain't she?
    The roles in marriage have been defined. Female partner=wife, male partner=husband. Marriage is a union between a wife and husband. If people don't like it, they can define a new union and have the state recognize that.
    And the state can call it marriage.

    Done.

  8. #1718
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    But there are logical reasons to separating male and female restrooms. Separate but equal is sometimes necessary and not inherently bad. An apple and an orange are separate but equal as fruits.
    Apparantly you have never heard of unisex bathrooms.

  9. #1719
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    And the state can call it marriage.

    Done.
    That's my point. The state can call it marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Apparantly you have never heard of unisex bathrooms.
    I have, but that is irrelevant. The fact is that sexes are banned from certain areas based on gender is considered fine and moral given the uses for bathrooms. Having a unisex bathroom does not negate the fact that male and female restricted bathrooms exist and are not challenged.
    Last edited by digsbe; 08-09-10 at 03:53 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #1720
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    And why are you going to latch onto my post and try to misrepresent it? If the partner had not cheated he would not have the virus..
    LOL - I didn't "represent it" much less "misrepresent it" - it was merely a reference to an earlier discussion on cause.

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    (and no he did not cheat because he was gay, he cheated because he was unfaithful) therefore it was the partner cheating that caused the disease to spread, IE that is the cause (to be redundantly redundant).
    None of this discussion on cause is relevant to my discussion on risk factors.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •