Page 167 of 189 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #1661
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    What does any of this have to do with gay marriage?????????!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

  2. #1662
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    I believe they are trying to claim that gays don't deserve to be married, based on them spreading aids.

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    What does any of this have to do with gay marriage?????????!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

  3. #1663
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I believe they are trying to claim that gays don't deserve to be married, based on them spreading aids.
    I tried to make the point earlier that if gays are getting married and settling down, wouldn't that actually prevent the spread of HIV?

    Obviously not every couple will be monogomous (because as we all know not every straight couple is monogomous), but marriage cuts down STDs across all communities - thus HIV infection rates would lower.

    That only makes sense. But why do we have to have 20 pages about causality and correlation in HIV transmission.

    This has gotten stupid.

    Imperfect, yes - but married people largely don't spread STDs. Trying to limit marriage on that is just f'ing stupid. Sorry, but it's stupid and nothing more.

  4. #1664
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I believe they are trying to claim that gays don't deserve to be married, based on them spreading aids.
    You couldn't be more wrong. My God people how many times has this been described and you simply did not read it?

    Our side NEVER brought in benefits to society vs negatives when deciding who should be allowed to marry. That was and still is CC

    And he did it because someone rightly pointed out that if you use the equal protection clause to allow gays to marry you cannot exclude Polygamists. CC claimed you could and based his argument on a draconian practice of claiming you can judge who can be married based on positive and negative contributions to a society. He then claimed that is how you could keep polygamists out which is a ridiculous argument. All we did was point out homosexuals especially gay men have a higher risk factor of contracting HIV and backed it up with an article from the CDC. Then instead of admitting his mistake he tried every trick in the book from bringing up condoms to monogamous partners, nothing of which changes the facts of the CDC report.

    This began with CC. Please read more carefully before jumping to conclusions.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #1665
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    So you're fine with gay people getting married?

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong. My God people how many times has this been described and you simply did not read it?

    Our side NEVER brought in benefits to society vs negatives when deciding who should be allowed to marry. That was and still is CC

    And he did it because someone rightly pointed out that if you use the equal protection clause to allow gays to marry you cannot exclude Polygamists. CC claimed you could and based his argument on a draconian practice of claiming you can judge who can be married based on positive and negative contributions. He then claimed that is how you could keep polygamists out which is a ridiculous argument. All we did was point out homosexuals especially gay men have a higher risk factor of contracting HIV and backed it up with an article from the CDC. Then instead of admitting his mistake he tried every trick in the book from bringing up condoms to monogamous partners, nothing of which changes the facts of the CDC report.

    This began with CC. Please read more carefully before jumping to conclusions.

  6. #1666
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    So you're fine with gay people getting married?
    If its done through law I have no problem with it. When activist judges write new law without legal backing I do have a problem with it. That is the problem with claiming equal protection covers marriage. It doesn't and never has. And if it did you could not exclude any sexual orientation from wanting the same thing based on the same finding. That is why we have laws and ammendments.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #1667
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    All we did was point out homosexuals especially gay men have a higher risk factor of contracting HIV and backed it up with an article from the CDC.
    Well for starters, you are wrong. Gay men do not have a higher risk factor of contracting HIV. They have a higher risk factor of engaging in risky behaviors that increase their likelihood of contracting HIV. That is exactly what the CDC says. Men who have sex with men are more likely to engage in behaviors like promiscuous, unprotected anal sex and in turn, are more likely to contract HIV. However, marriage is incompatible with engaging in such a risky behavior, and common sense would argue that if gay men were allowed to marry, then they would engage in less promiscuous, unprotected anal sex, and HIV infections would thus go down. So your argument that HIV is a negative of homosexuality as an orientation is false.

    As for whether orientations should be judged by what positive and negative contributions they make to society, I think CC is correct. There is a wealth of evidence to support the positive contributions that same sex marriage can make to society. There is no such evidence for polygamy. And I'm not sure how "Draconian" it is, because it hasn't been done before.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 08-09-10 at 02:22 PM.

  8. #1668
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,956

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    I've been waiting, and again, no one has addressed my question. If gay marriage is illegal to oppose. And if it's wrong to uphold a marital definition that excludes homosexual unions because that is unconstitutional under the equal protection clause. Then why can't other sexualities and their unions also be recognized? Why does homosexuality deserve special treatment? Wouldn't it also be wrong to exclude other sexualities and their unions from marriage? Are not other sexualities protected by the equal protection clause in this instance?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #1669
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    I've barely been skimming this thread and it is my understanding that if "other sexualities" (such as?) *because people are born gay - but afaik they are not born polygamous* want their issue addressed then they need to file suit as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I've been waiting, and again, no one has addressed my question. If gay marriage is illegal to oppose. And if it's wrong to uphold a marital definition that excludes homosexual unions because that is unconstitutional under the equal protection clause. Then why can't other sexualities and their unions also be recognized? Why does homosexuality deserve special treatment? Wouldn't it also be wrong to exclude other sexualities and their unions from marriage? Are not other sexualities protected by the equal protection clause in this instance?

  10. #1670
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,956

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I've barely been skimming this thread and it is my understanding that if "other sexualities" (such as?) *because people are born gay - but afaik they are not born polygamous* want their issue addressed then they need to file suit as well.
    I'm not talking about polygamy. I'm talking about other sexual orientations such as pansexuals, bestiality, bisexuals, or any other sexuality that someone could claim to have. Why is that sexuality unequal to homosexuality? And if the logic is that homosexual unions fall under the equal protection clause, why can't others as well?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •