Page 153 of 189 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #1521
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I am not against gay marriage. I do not have a homophobic bone in my body (no pun intended.) But I must confess, even though I support allowing gays to marry, I do find it a bit uncomfortable to see a judge over ruling the will of the majority on any issue.
    You mean like when the Supreme Court overruled Chicago's very popular gun restrictions that a majority of Chicagoans approved of and was passed by the will of the people in Cook County, Illinois?

    Or like the Citizens United ruling which was disapproved of by 81% of Americans?

    You're right. I hate it when the Courts rule against the majority of Americans because of that pesky, pesky Constitution.

    Wonder if the majority of Americans

  2. #1522
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    You mean like when the Supreme Court overruled Chicago's very popular gun restrictions that a majority of Chicagoans approved of and was passed by the will of the people in Cook County, Illinois?

    Or like the Citizens United ruling which was disapproved of by 81% of Americans?

    You're right. I hate it when the Courts rule against the majority of Americans because of that pesky, pesky Constitution.

    Wonder if the majority of Americans
    See in order to make your argument work there has to be at least some form of law in the Constution you can base your argument on alternative lifestyle which there isn't. Nice try.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  3. #1523
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You claimed this: "Therefore it is reasonable, and in fact completely conclusive that homosexuals, as a group, are a risk factor in contracting HIV, " and then denied that you ever made a causational relationship. In your statement, you identify an orientation, not a behavior, and make a causational relationship. So you lied when you stated that you did not do this. You have refused to admit this, or back off. I pointed it out. If you lie, you'll get called on it. So, either retract, or rebut. If you do neither, than you obviously lied.
    CC - you appear to be utterly ignorant on what a "risk factor" is. A "risk factor" implies no causal relationship whatsoever. It refers simply to a variable that is related to increased risk. The relationship can be causal OR correlational.

    That you would accuse someone of "lying" for using a term YOU did not understand is quite simply outrageous.

    I'm sure he'd appreciate a public apology.

  4. #1524
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    See in order to make your argument work there has to be at least some form of law in the Constution you can base your argument on alternative lifestyle which there isn't. Nice try.
    I guess you've never heard of 14th Amendment.

    Perhaps reading a summary of the courts decision would help get you better informed on the legal issues.

    homosexuality/sexual orientation is a hard-wired personality trait -- calling it a 'lifestyle' would be like calling left-handed a 'lifestyle'.

    Homophobia = fear-based ignorance and prejudice about and toward homosexuals.

  5. #1525
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    See in order to make your argument work there has to be at least some form of law in the Constution you can base your argument on alternative lifestyle which there isn't. Nice try.
    That's how deluded you are. It's all nicely explained in the judges 136-page ruling. Prop 8 and similar bans violate the Constitution under the 14th Amendment and to discriminate against gays (just as in Romer v. Evans) has no practical relationship to the role of government.

    It's very clear unless you are so anti-gay that you can't understand it. Rational beings get it.

  6. #1526
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    See in order to make your argument work there has to be at least some form of law in the Constution you can base your argument on alternative lifestyle which there isn't. Nice try.
    The Judge in this case did in fact find such a constitutional basis. So by your argument, FilmFestGuy was 100 % correct.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #1527
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    A Fox News Viewer Poll shows good support for the ruling:

    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  8. #1528
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    A Fox News Viewer Poll shows good support for the ruling:

    Can you link to the page you got that from please.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #1529
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  10. #1530
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Those Fox internet polls get intentionally flooded by anti-Fox liberals all the time. One of them about the Tea Party showed the by far most popular result being the option for the Tea Party being racist bigots. No surprise, really; internet denizens tend to be extremely anti-Fox, and those who are tend to be extremely organized and militant about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •