Page 130 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #1291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Which would be what, specifically?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Apparently you're confused about something.

  2. #1292
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It's actually becoming so much sputtering and stuttering over simple facts. It's just not pretty.
    Some of the stuff has been hilarious though. Some one claimed in this thread that Judge Walker wanted to get married, so he had a clear conflict of interest. Surprise, when asked to back up that claim, nothing. The arguments against this ruling have almost entirely had exactly nothing to do with the actual content of the ruling, and once again we have proof that people just don't know anything beyond "I don't like it, so it must be bad".

    On the plus side, watching all those groups who try and claim to be for "the family" have aneurysms over this has been wonderful. Watching all the arguments still come back to the same two anti arguments "it's always been that way(Hint, it hasn't)", and "it's immoral cuz gays are icky" and the people against it not understanding why those arguments are not carrying the day is pretty cool too.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #1293
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The facts are determined at this level, and Judge Walker put a lot of attention in this aspect, with the vast majority of his long written decision being devoted to the facts of the case. It is unusual though not impossible for higher courts to disagree on the facts, but Judge Walker made it very difficult for them to do so.

    This is why you should read the thread, so you see all these things that have been pointed out and proven before bringing up the same tired, wrong objections.
    I've addressed your point already, and I'm laughing here to myself that you think you've "proven" something by linking to a bunch of conjecture that other people wrote. As if there aren't a bunch of legal scholars posting about how much it doesn't matter.

    There is no rule that judges who decide a case on appeal must defer to whatever the District Judge labeled a "fact." That THIS judge expressly wrote his opinion in a blatant effort to influence nine people on a HUGE case (all of whom think they're the smartest person in the room)... heh.

    I can't wait to see how much fun Scalia and others have with Walker's opinion.

  4. #1294
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I've addressed your point already, and I'm laughing here to myself that you think you've "proven" something by linking to a bunch of conjecture that other people wrote. As if there aren't a bunch of legal scholars posting about how much it doesn't matter.

    There is no rule that judges who decide a case on appeal must defer to whatever the District Judge labeled a "fact." That THIS judge expressly wrote his opinion in a blatant effort to influence nine people on a HUGE case (all of whom think they're the smartest person in the room)... heh.

    I can't wait to see how much fun Scalia and others have with Walker's opinion.
    They are not required to, but they have to have good reason to. It is unusual(see, I said this already, and the links have said this already). You are not making any credible argument, you are just saying "nope, it's this way because I say it is this way", which is hardly credible.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #1295
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It is unusual(see, I said this already, and the links have said this already). You are not making any credible argument, you are just saying "nope, it's this way because I say it is this way", which is hardly credible.
    "It is unusual" is a credible argument, Redress? There is no argument to give here that will "prove" anything. I stated the simple fact:

    "There is no rule that judges who decide a case on appeal must defer to whatever the District Judge labeled a "fact."

    As to whether they will or won't - it's all conjecture. I've provided my own conjecture. You've posted links to other people's original thoughts and highlighted the phrase "it is unusual."

    In a couple of years, we'll get to see who made the better call.
    Last edited by Taylor; 08-06-10 at 05:40 PM.

  6. #1296
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They are not required to, but they have to have good reason to. It is unusual(see, I said this already, and the links have said this already). You are not making any credible argument, you are just saying "nope, it's this way because I say it is this way", which is hardly credible.
    It's that way because it's that way. Sorry, but a man can't screw another man and create another human being. It's just that way.

    The purpose of marriage is steeped in the conception of and raising of children, particularly as seen through the eyes of the church.

    Gay marriages are just two dudes or girls pretending to play house together, just like a heterosexual couple living together.

    I half expect gays to one day protest against heterosexuals for procreating because it's not fair that they can't conceive, too, from gay sex.

  7. #1297
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    "It is unusual" is a credible argument, Redress? There is no argument to give here that will "prove" anything. I stated the simple fact:

    "There is no rule that judges who decide a case on appeal must defer to whatever the District Judge labeled a "fact."

    As to whether they will or won't - it's all conjecture. I've provided my own conjecture. You've posted links to other people's original thoughts and highlighted the phrase "it is unusual."
    You have shown no evidence that they will. I have shown evidence that, among people who study and work in the law, it is considered unlikely but not impossible. I have also shown, with links, that the Walker ruling makes it harder for those supporting prop 8 in the future. You have not in any way shown this to be less than true.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #1298
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    It's that way because it's that way. Sorry, but a man can't screw another man and create another human being. It's just that way.
    And what does biological reproduction have to do with right to contract?

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The purpose of marriage is steeped in the conception of and raising of children, particularly as seen through the eyes of the church.
    It doesn't matter if the Church sees marriage as a device for reproduction. Gods have no say in the laws of man, I am not held to your gods laws. That's your problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Gay marriages are just two dudes or girls pretending to play house together, just like a heterosexual couple living together.
    And again, what does this have to do with right to contract?

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I half expect gays to one day protest against heterosexuals for procreating because it's not fair that they can't conceive, too, from gay sex.
    Hello hyperbole, good to see you again.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #1299
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    It's that way because it's that way. Sorry, but a man can't screw another man and create another human being. It's just that way.
    This is a straw man that in now way addresses what I talked about. Making inane comments about stuff no one is arguing does not prove any points.

    The purpose of marriage is steeped in the conception of and raising of children, particularly as seen through the eyes of the church.
    Gay couples can conceive in society today. It requires a bit of outside help, but is not just possible, but happening more and more often. About 1/3 of lesbian couples, and 1/4 of gay male couples have children in their households. SO by your argument, gays should be allowed to marry.

    Gay marriages are just two dudes or girls pretending to play house together, just like a heterosexual couple living together.
    No, just like strait married couples.

    I half expect gays to one day protest against heterosexuals for procreating because it's not fair that they can't conceive, too, from gay sex.
    Stupid, obviously over the top rhetoric that adds nothing but a mindless insult, and makes you look worse than the gay people you are opposed to.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #1300
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    It really wouldn't make a hill of difference in the long run Navy....because even IF that were to happen (which is unlikely), public opinion is changing at a rapid pace and gay marriage is coming one way or another. You are losing this battle in the Courts and in the public arena. You continually refuse to recognize that public opinion has shifted by close to 20 percentage points in the last decade to the point that the public is almost evenly split on the issue. As your generation dies out, the more tolerant and moderate generations are embracing liberty and justice for all (in REALITY....not just something to recite in a Pledge). The storm is coming Navy.....and I suspect that even YOU will be alive to see it happen.
    Just because you keep preaching that lie does not mean it will happen........31-0 states banning same sex marriage with a constitutional amendment....Many will be added this November.....45 states have DOMAS saying marriage is between a man and a woman........California one of the most liberal states in the nation has said marriage is between a man and a woman......Every time gay marriage has been voted on gay marriage ahs lost.......You lose DD and you will continue to lose.........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •