Page 113 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #1121
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Weak pal, very weak. When you say "scoff", what you really mean is that you have no logical reason to deny any marriage between 100 people if they so choose. To do so exposes the weakness of the "gay marriage as a fundamanetal right's", issue.

    You're not fooling anyone..


    Tim-
    Until you can prove that polygamy shows the same benefits to society... without the significant consequences, that GM and straight marriage does, you are just flapping in the breeze. So, go at it. Let's see your information.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #1122
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, I am saying that it doesn't apply to polygamy.

    Equal Protection Clause does not apply to discrimination based on "The amount of people".
    It does if marriage is construed to be afundamental right, doesn't it? Surely you see this? That's why I asked you to define what you consider a fundamental right? It helps me get inside your brain.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #1123
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    pure pissiness
    Moderator's Warning:
    California gay marriage ban overturned: reportEither address the topic as people have been asking, or cease your trolling behavior.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #1124
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,004

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Weak pal, very weak. When you say "scoff", what you really mean is that you have no logical reason to deny any marriage between 100 people if they so choose. To do so exposes the weakness of the "gay marriage as a fundamanetal right's", issue.

    You're not fooling anyone..

    Tim-
    No, what he means is yours and others tired arguments of "You're just choosing who its okay to be bigoted to if you don't allow polygamy too" or "Next its going to be allowing people to marry their horse!" or "Great, and so you're not going to be a hypocrite and say pedophilia is wrong too!" are all idiotic arguments that have been repeatedly debated, and destroyed, time and time and time again here on DP and so posters who have engaged in such conversations in threads that actually focused on them rather than were attempted to use them as derailment attempts basically see no point in rehashing it for some random poster coming into a thread in which that isn't the topic and begins throwing out the same tired BS that's been shot down time and time again.

  5. #1125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You are right, but although I do not support polygamy, I recognize the fact that if a man wants to marry a man, or a woman, or many men, or many women, it is none of the government's damn business.
    and there ya go

  6. #1126
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And if a man chose to marry 100 people of any sex, what damn business is it of yours?
    None, assuming marriage is a fundamental right of course.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #1127
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Since I never claimed that marriage is a fundemenal right, your challenge is irrelevant. My position is, that the government supports marriage because of the benefits that it causes society and the individual. GM has been shown to do the same. Polygamy has been shown to NOT do the same. It's that simple. This is the flaw in your reasoning and why this is a red herring that you all keep bringing out because you have little else. The two are not comparable.

    Now, unless you can show how polygamy benefits society... and the individual... more than the consequences that it would yield, you've got nothing on this issue. So, there's your challenge. Prove that polygamy is on equal footing to GM and straight marriage, and I will liisten. Don't and your argument remains irrelevant.
    Whether polygamy benefits society or not, it is not the government's business. I have one wife, and that's cool with me. However, if another man wants to have multiple wives, or a woman multiple husbands, then I see nothing wrong with it, as long as all are consenting adults. That goes for polygamous gay marriages too.

    The polygamy argument is just another straw man.
    Last edited by danarhea; 08-05-10 at 06:08 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #1128
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Those who oppose the ruling, please stop bringing up polygamy -_- It's an illogical comparison and has no bearing on why the ruling was ruled the way it was. The issue I have is if you can't define marriage that does not include homosexuality because of the equal protection clause, then why is it ok to ban other sexualities? Why are they unequal? Again to those claiming homosexuals have a "right" to marriage. Where does the Constitution specifically touch on the topic of marriage? Where does it specifically say homosexuals have that right? The very issue with Proposition 8 was to define marriage, and define the contract of marriage. They were voting on if gay unions are marriage, and if they have a right to redefine and enter into that contract. Also, other rulings state that it is Constitutional for a state to define marriage. Just because a homosexual judge believes homosexuality as a sexual orientation is protected by the Constitution doesn't mean he is right, especially when the majority of judges have disagreed with him.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #1129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    California gay marriage ban overturned: reportEither address the topic as people have been asking, or cease your trolling behavior.
    i did, captain

    i pointed out that TWO and medical decisions and tax forms are a pretty flimsy constitutional foundation

  10. #1130
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,004

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    It does if marriage is construed to be afundamental right, doesn't it? Surely you see this? That's why I asked you to define what you consider a fundamental right? It helps me get inside your brain.

    Tim-
    No, I don't see this. And you, and everyone else, has failed to demonstrate how it is.

    I've demonstrated how, regarding how I view the issue, that it falls under equal protection because GENDER is clearly and unquestionably a protected status.

    You, and others, have completely and utterly failed to put forth ANY reasoning or ANY argument why "number of people" is somehow protected under the EPC.

    Once you figure that out, or find some other way to actually make an argument for polygamists having a right to marry multiple people under the constitution, perhaps I can address it.

    So far you, and everyone else, have just gone "Um...but...uh, POLYGAMY! You say marriage is a right, so I'm going to ignore your arguments as to WHY specifically same sex should be legal, and just say that means you HAVE to support polygamy as well".

    This threads not about fundamental rights, and god knows there's dozens of threads dedicated to that. Since what is or isn't a fundamental right is irrelevant to my argument I'm not going to bother with it.

    I am stating as of now marriage is a constitutional right. I am stating that becuase the courts have found it to be a cosntitutional right, and until such time as that's over turned that is the case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •