Page 112 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1882

Thread: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

  1. #1111
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You have never once given an example of how my arguments regarding the constitutionality of allowing same sex marriage also applies to polygamy. Not once. So don't put forth a broad challenge to people for ignoring your comments on polygamy when you are ignoring people making arguments against said arguments.
    I don't disagree that it doesn't apply to polygamy, in-fact it does. That's my point. Are we even arguing here?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #1112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    How do you think I came to this stance to begin with?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    There are many documented cases..........just google on it and you might learn something.......

  3. #1113
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Additionally, there is a far stronger argument for state interest in preventing polygamists marriages then there is in gay marriages. And it can be made without the typical hyperbolic stereotypes of pedophilia or incest. The implimentation of polygamist marriages opens the door for a significant hinderance on the U.S. and States court systems due to the numerous issues surrounding polygamy. Take for example the ability for the spouse to have the final say over health decisions...when there is multiple spouses if they disagree then this becomes a legal issue that will bog down the courts. The only alternative to this would be to be able to designate certain spouses as somehow special and having more of the benefits than others, but that in and of itself creates a government imposed unequal designation. Additionally it opens up a far more glaring and damaging issue for the government in regards to the tax abilities regarding marriage by allowign people to create extremely long chains of individuals all connected with regards to the tax benefits where as the current "two people" limit provides a reasonable limit on the connections that keeps its impact from reaching the point where it would reach government interest.
    medical decisions, tax forms, and TWO?

    that's it?

    no wonder barry won't go out on that limb
    Last edited by The Prof; 08-05-10 at 06:02 PM.

  4. #1114
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,748

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, you've shown me a fool for doing that.

    If you want to address my arguments, go ahead.

    If You

    Keep wanting

    To Spout Your

    Iditoic Bull****

    one liners

    While Ignoring

    Everyones Points

    and act like

    you're doing anything

    but making

    a

    fool out of

    your side

    be my guest.

    But I am

    No longer wasting

    my time with

    someone

    who refuses

    to actually

    discuss things

    rather than

    just repeat

    their one liners
    Damn, that made my eyes hurt.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #1115
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    To be honest, Zyphlin, any time the polygamy red herring gets tossed up, a lot of us do actually ignore it because polygamy, pedophilia, and bestiality are the big three that get bandied about despite how irrelevant they are.

    Most of us might acknowledge it long enough to scoff at it openly but, for the most part, why bother?
    Weak pal, very weak. When you say "scoff", what you really mean is that you have no logical reason to deny any marriage between 100 people if they so choose. To do so exposes the weakness of the "gay marriage as a fundamanetal right's", issue.

    You're not fooling anyone..


    Tim-
    Last edited by Hicup; 08-05-10 at 06:04 PM.
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  6. #1116
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,984

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I don't disagree that it doesn't apply to polygamy, in-fact it does. That's my point. Are we even arguing here?

    Tim-
    No, I am saying that it doesn't apply to polygamy.

    Equal Protection Clause does not apply to discrimination based on "The amount of people".

  7. #1117
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,748

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Weak pal, very weak. When you say "scoff", what you really mean is that you have no logical reason to deny any marriage between 100 people if they so choose. To do so exposes the weakness of the gay marriage as a findamanetal right's issue.

    You're not fooling anyone..


    Tim-
    And if a man chose to marry 100 people of any sex, what damn business is it of yours?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #1118
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Hehe.. Red herring eh? No, it is important to the clarification of what constitutes a fundamental marriage. Is a polygamist marriage, IN YOUR OPINION, or any type of marriage for that matter fundamental to humanity? If you believe it is, thenplease do tell us why. If not, then also explain why you would limit certain marriages, and not others.

    Don't run from the intent of my question because you're uncomfortable with it.



    Tim-
    Since I never claimed that marriage is a fundemenal right, your challenge is irrelevant. My position is, that the government supports marriage because of the benefits that it causes society and the individual. GM has been shown to do the same. Polygamy has been shown to NOT do the same. It's that simple. This is the flaw in your reasoning and why this is a red herring that you all keep bringing out because you have little else. The two are not comparable.

    Now, unless you can show how polygamy benefits society... and the individual... more than the consequences that it would yield, you've got nothing on this issue. So, there's your challenge. Prove that polygamy is on equal footing to GM and straight marriage, and I will liisten. Don't and your argument remains irrelevant.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #1119
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,984

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    medical decisions, tax forms, and TWO?

    that's it?

    no wonder barry won't go out on that limb
    Medical Decisions is one example of a far more far reaching thing, which is specifically spousal benefits of control. This relates to inheretence, this relates to medical expenses, this relates to what is gained in divorce, and onwards and onwards.

    Interjecting mulitple parties into these type of situations creates issues where there is no clear singular individual that gets the benefit, meaning that the benefit becomes disputed. Disputes lead to the courts having to make judgements on this, which can create a significant and unreasonable strain on the court system.

    Medical decision was simply one example of the type of benefit that would cause this substantial strain.

  10. #1120
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: California gay marriage ban overturned: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, you've shown me a fool for doing that.

    If you want to address my arguments, go ahead.

    If You

    Keep wanting

    To Spout Your

    Iditoic Bull****

    one liners

    While Ignoring

    Everyones Points

    and act like

    you're doing anything

    but making

    a

    fool out of

    your side

    be my guest.

    But I am

    No longer wasting

    my time with

    someone

    who refuses

    to actually

    discuss things

    rather than

    just repeat

    their one liners
    pure pissiness

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •