Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 778

Thread: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

  1. #481
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    member one:

    Hey! Build whatever you want, Support what ever you want. I Never, NOT ONCE said that a Mosque shouldn't be built in America at all. Just not at Ground Zero. Don't you get it? If you think that for one moment that my argument is based in destroying rights, then I have a far different view than that which you subscribe to me.
    no call for prohibition

    member two:

    First, there's a different between saying they SHOULDN'T build it there and that they should be PROHIBITED by the government from building there. It seems to me you're suggesting the latter. If I'm incorrect and you're suggesting the first, then my apologizes.
    that call for a prohibition seems to be imagined by our interlocutor

    that'd be what insiders call a strawman

    LOL!

    member two elsewhere this week:

    You have repeatedly beaten up one gigantic strawman because you do not possess the ability to actually debate my arguments as you continually misrepresent my argument not in a slight way but in an obviously glaring way
    Last edited by The Prof; 08-10-10 at 05:15 PM.

  2. #482
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I say this again. Why do many conservatives support the government telling someone what they can do on private property and restricting religous freedom? If you hate Islam then why act like many Islamic nations who oppose and make it illegal for any other faith to build a church/temple/anything that isn't a mosque? It's the same oppressive ideology. You don't have to believe that the placement of the mosque is a good thing, you can protest it and hate Islam all you want. But you don't have the right to deny them their Constitutional right just as much as they have no right to deny you yours. It's hypocrisy of epic proportions. So the government should grow so big that they are allowed to break the Constitution and restrict religious freedom just as long as it isn't your religion/ideology?

    A little over the top if you ask me....I am but a mere truck driver. An observer if you will....posting my opinions and debating with the fine people here in no way hampers anyones 'civil rights'..... Whew.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #483
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    A little over the top if you ask me....I am but a mere truck driver. An observer if you will....posting my opinions and debating with the fine people here in no way hampers anyones 'civil rights'..... Whew.


    j-mac
    If you were the law, would you ban the mosque from being built because of the sensitivities in regards to Ground Zero? You don't have to agree with building the mosque, and it's your right to protest it. However, the belief that they shouldn't be allowed to build it is unconstitutional. And preforming that action would be a violation of Constitutional rights like we've never seen before.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #484
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Unlike you, I don't have a side.
    Ok I laughed out loud on that one.


    Most of us have been spoon fed the glories of capitalism and the free market since we were old enough to eat at a table. But a few years ago, I saw a study much like this one, and thought, "What if we're not getting it? What if the aquisition of wealth isn't really the way to happiness?"

    the fact that GITMO still hasn't been closed, and we are still holding suspects without access to legal counsel, and may even be torturing people is EXTREMELY bothersome to me. As is the fact that we still don't have clear goals/objectives in A-stan or Iran, and no real exit plan....Obama is significantly better, in almost every way, than Bush.

    In various threads, whenever the mistakes of Bush are brought up, some people always seem to want to bury the past and act like it never happened so they can blame everything on Obama instead
    ..
    I have many many more examples but please don't insult our intelligence again by pretending you aren't a full fledged liberal. I am at least honest about my side.

    And, I take the words of news outlets, particularly those with an obvious spin, with a grain of salt.
    Of course you do

    As far as what happened with Ms. Sherrod, imagine the calamity that would have occurred if the Obama administration hadn't quickly fired her. It's a shame that the reports that totally screwed up her life weren't fact-checked before being put out as "news."
    How about when the left put out false articles against Palin?

    * Palin did not cut funding for special needs education in Alaska by 62 percent. She didn’t cut it at all. In fact, she increased funding and signed a bill that will triple per-pupil funding over three years for special needs students with high-cost requirements.

    * She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.

    * She was never a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a group that wants Alaskans to vote on whether they wish to secede from the United States. She’s been registered as a Republican since May 1982.

    * Palin never endorsed or supported Pat Buchanan for president. She once wore a Buchanan button as a "courtesy" when he visited Wasilla, but shortly afterward she was appointed to co-chair of the campaign of Steve Forbes in the state.

    * Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."


    FactCheck.org: Sliming Palin

    Where were you?
    Last edited by texmaster; 08-10-10 at 05:22 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #485
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    If you were the law, would you ban the mosque from being built because of the sensitivities in regards to Ground Zero? You don't have to agree with building the mosque, and it's your right to protest it. However, the belief that they shouldn't be allowed to build it is unconstitutional. And preforming that action would be a violation of Constitutional rights like we've never seen before.
    It's a good thing we have the law, which is much better than mob rule.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #486
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,306

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    If you were the law, would you ban the mosque from being built because of the sensitivities in regards to Ground Zero? You don't have to agree with building the mosque, and it's your right to protest it. However, the belief that they shouldn't be allowed to build it is unconstitutional. And preforming that action would be a violation of Constitutional rights like we've never seen before.

    Let me bold this and place it in caps so that you may understand better....NOT AT GROUND ZERO!!!!ANYWHERE ELSE BUT THERE!!!!


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #487
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Well it's a good thing that it's two blocks away from ground zero then.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #488
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Let me bold this and place it in caps so that you may understand better....NOT AT GROUND ZERO!!!!ANYWHERE ELSE BUT THERE!!!!


    j-mac
    But why is it constitutional to ban it from Ground Zero? They don't have to like it. Heck, they can protest it out of the neighborhood if they want to. But what legal defense is there to prevent them from building it near the site?
    Last edited by digsbe; 08-10-10 at 05:29 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #489
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    they shouldn't be FORCED to move

    but if they're sincere about their professions of wanting to improve relations with their neighbors...

    well, they could start by listening to em

  10. #490
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I have many many more examples but please don't insult our intelligence again by pretending you aren't a full fledged liberal.
    Your ultra conservatism taints your perceptions on these issues. After all, you consider ZYPHLIN a liberal, as well.

    How about when the left put out false articles against Palin?
    I wasn't on this board, but I vigorously defended her. It pissed me off to see feminists attacking her.

Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •