Page 34 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 778

Thread: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

  1. #331
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    How is the New Testament a "source" document? It wasn't compiled into what it is today until the First Council. A large portion of its work is to credited to a man who never even met Jesus. It is so far from a source document.
    My understanding is that all Christianity, from Catholocism to Eastern Orthodox to ALL Protestant denominations, affirm that the Bible is the source document for all doctrine and that all beliefs and doctrine must be measured against the Bible.

  2. #332
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Except for those pagan indians that we slaughtered by the thousands. Forgot about them, didn't you?
    Indians weren't killed because they wouldn't convert, they were killed because we wanted their land and resources. Pure and simple. Same motivation that was behind land grabs for 10,000 years.

  3. #333
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Nice straw man, but that was not in anyway the mindset of our forefathers, who came to America to escape religious persecution, not to create it. Take Thomas Jefferson, for instance:
    Slightly OT

    What is down played is that for the most part, for most of America's history it has embraced religion and for most of it, religion moderated a lot of our baser tendencies and was the source for all social charity prior to FDR. If you didn't have a place to sleep or something to eat,... YOU went to the church. When people ran into hard times and needed a little help, they usually got it from their church and fellow parishioners.

    19th and 20th Century missionaries were responsible for a fair amount of crap, but they were also the ones responsible for bringing medicine, schools, scientific agriculture, water projects etc. to most of the 3rd world. That frequently gets overlooked in the balance sheet.

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Indians weren't killed because they wouldn't convert, they were killed because we wanted their land and resources. Pure and simple. Same motivation that was behind land grabs for 10,000 years.
    That's not the point. The original residents of this country weren't Christian.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    My understanding is that all Christianity, from Catholocism to Eastern Orthodox to ALL Protestant denominations, affirm that the Bible is the source document for all doctrine and that all beliefs and doctrine must be measured against the Bible.
    Yeah. The problem is that there aren't any versions of the books in the new testament that date to earlier than 120 years after the death of Jesus Christ. So, what happened to the source versions of THOSE BOOKS? in other words, we don't have the original versions of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, not to mention the rest. In fact, we don't even have a copy of an original. We have a copy of a copy of a copy of something we don't have.

    http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/papy...nuscripts.html

    And what we do have looks something like this:



    Shards of disintegrating paper, not whole documents.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 08-09-10 at 02:01 PM.

  6. #336
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yeah. The problem is that there aren't any versions of the books in the new testament that date to earlier than 120 years after the death of Jesus Christ. So, what happened to the source versions of THOSE BOOKS? in other words, we don't have the original versions of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, not to mention the rest. In fact, we don't even have a copy of an original. We have a copy of a copy of a copy of something we don't have.

    Dating the Oldest New Testament Manuscripts

    And what we do have looks something like this:



    Shards of disintegrating paper, not whole documents.

    Do not assume inspiration or infallibility of the documents, with the intent of attempting to prove the inspiration or infallibility of the documents. Do not say the bible is inspired or infallible simply because it claims to be. This is circular reasoning.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    You do realize there are several schools of Sharia, some more liberal than others,
    Meh meh, there are five main schools of Islamic jurisprudence (Hanbali, Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi`i, and Jafari). and in all 5 major schools of Islamic Fiqh the Ijma of the Ulama is that apostasy, homosexuality, adultery, and/or premarital sex are capital and/or corporal punishment. So go spread your wears to someone less informed because no one's buying them here.

    Oh and FYI sport, a legal system based on theocratic dogma and liberal are two mutually exclusive concepts.

    that sharia has been used for feminist purposes.
    Sharia for feminist purpuses. Give me a freaking break. Do you expect people to take you seriously after assertions like that?

    You do realize a grand portion of the muslim world supports sharia for its LIMITS ON GOVERNMENT POWER and other useful aspects.
    Ya they support theocracy because it puts limits on government power. Seriously??? I mean can you possibly be serious when you assert that jurisprudence which is asserted to be the direct word of god can be more limited than jurisprudence that is recognized as made by fallible men? Wow you people are just to much.

  8. #338
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Indians weren't killed because they wouldn't convert, they were killed because we wanted their land and resources. Pure and simple. Same motivation that was behind land grabs for 10,000 years.
    And the same motivation behind the money grabs that the banksters have been making. Some things change, but greed will always be greed.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #339
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Half-baked mosque - NYPOST.com

    Not so fast.

    The developers of the controversial mosque proposed near Ground Zero own only half the site where they want to construct the $100 million building, The Post has learned.

    One of the two buildings on Park Place is owned by Con Edison, even though Soho Properties told officials and the public that it owns the entire parcel. And any potential sale by Con Ed faces a review by the state Public Service Commission.

    .
    Last edited by Thorgasm; 08-09-10 at 10:22 PM. Reason: fair use compliance

  10. #340
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    lets just get rid of all religion, this stuff really slows and dumbs humanity down.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

Page 34 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •