Page 22 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 778

Thread: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Correction: The people who are building this mosque are courageous people of faith, bravely putting up with small mindedness and bigotry. But how nice of you to condescend to admit that they are within their inalienable rights.
    I disagree. I don't particularly like Islam, in general. I think it's largely anti-women and it's based upon a pretty contemptuous small-minded deity who appears to hate everyone for no good reason. And, the people who follow this particular path tend to be looking for ammunition to reinforce their own insecurities about women, female sexuality, equal rights, and their own bodies.

    However, having said that, America doesn't mean that we have to think that everything around us is sweetness and light. People have a right to be assholes, within the limits of the law, if that is their wish.

    That means that, as contemptible as I find those loud-mouthed anti-gay morons from Kansas who protest at funerals to be, I will still defend their rights to speak and believe as they choose.

    Being an American doesn't mean that we have to like everyone. It does mean we have to tolerate them, though, no matter how ridiculous their beliefs might be.

    I hold the same opinion of white supremacists, for the record. They have a right to speak, and show the world that they're ignorant, inbred, dickless wonders.

  2. #212
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,420

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Correction: The people who are building this mosque are courageous people of faith, bravely putting up with small mindedness and bigotry. But how nice of you to condescend to admit that they are within their inalienable rights.


    No they are assholes, looking for attention, who insult thier own religion and other muslims by using thier God as a prop for political nonsense.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    No they are assholes, looking for attention, who insult thier own religion and other muslims by using thier God as a prop for political nonsense.
    So? I can't swing a dead cat in my neighborhood without hitting a religious asshole.

    You say this like it is somehow uncommon, that religious assholes use their god as a prop for political nonsense. Jeez, Rev, that happens every single day. Dealing with religious assholes is part of living in America.

    I don't know why Manhattan should somehow be immune to what those of us in flyover America deal with daily.

  4. #214
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,420

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    So? I can't swing a dead cat in my neighborhood without hitting a religious asshole.

    You say this like it is somehow uncommon, that religious assholes use their god as a prop for political nonsense. Jeez, Rev, that happens DAILY.


    Not around here.... I very rarely here about gods and what not, this is NYC afterall....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #215
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I disagree. I don't particularly like Islam, in general. I think it's largely anti-women and it's based upon a pretty contemptuous small-minded deity who appears to hate everyone for no good reason. And, the people who follow this particular path tend to be looking for ammunition to reinforce their own insecurities about women, female sexuality, equal rights, and their own bodies.
    Well, I'm sorry that you feel this way, Catz, but we have to agree to disagree. I think you're making a mistake by viewing all of Islam as the equivalent of Christian extremists. Islam is no different than Christianity, there are conservatives and there are liberals, there are people who live peacefully and there are people who try to force their views on others. It's the same with every religion, but the people who take it too far aren't the religion itself. I'd argue that you might have issues with certain elements within Islam, but not Islam itself.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-05-10 at 11:05 AM.

  6. #216
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,945

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Correction: The people who are building this mosque are courageous people of faith, bravely putting up with small mindedness and bigotry. But how nice of you to condescend to admit that they are within their inalienable rights.
    That's wonderful you think that.

    I think they're either giant douches, flamingly ignorant, or dishonest assholes.

    The reaction that has occured to this should've been obvious to anyone that had any knowledge at all about the attitudes towards 9/11 and specifically towards Islam when being stated along side talk of 9/11.

    If they didn't know, or they thought it wouldn't be a problem then they were either amazingly ignorant of how many Americans think or are just ignorant all together to know it and just think it wouldn't matter and somehow they'd still be able to "Build Bridges" to people in a place whose very presense angers and alienates the very people needing bridges built to.

    OR

    They knew full well how people would react, and basically say "well **** them, I want this mosque right here, refuse to do it anywhere else, and to hell with a large amoutn of people who are going to be severely upset about this due to possibly the most tragic event in the nations history and my religions connection to it".

    OR

    They're completely dishonest assholes lying about the whole "Building Bridges" bull**** because they know full well they're not going to be successful at building bridges to people by essentially pissing off the very people who need bridges built to reach and making the location of your "bridge building" project somewhere they'll never wish to visit on principle.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    OR

    They are brave people of faith who, fully aware that a certain small minded and bigoted segment of Americans would be up in arms and potentially violent about a mosque being built there, or anywhere at all for that matter, have decided to withstand the intimidation and hate coming from this unfortunate segment of Americans and build this mosque in an effort to increase tolerance and peace between the world's two largest religions. They refuse to accept blame for the crimes of a few fringe terrorists, nor should they, despite that fact that many ignorant people attribute blame for 9/11 to all Muslims. They have nothing but a peaceful interest in building this mosque and no connection with these criminals whatsoever, and the best efforts of racists and demagogues everywhere haven't shown even a shred of evidence otherwise.

    It's akin to the bus boycott in Birmingham, and you, Zyphlin are saying the equivalent of "if they don't move to the back of the bus, they must be giant douches, flamingly ignorant, or dishonest assholes." Not so.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-05-10 at 11:31 AM.

  8. #218
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,420

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    OR

    They are brave people of faith who, fully aware that a certain small minded and bigoted segment of Americans would be up in arms and potentially violent about a mosque being built there, or anywhere at all for that matter, have decided to withstand the intimidation and hate coming from this unfortunate segment of Americans and build this mosque in an effort to increase tolerance and peace between the world's two largest religions. They refuse to accept blame for the crimes of a few fringe terrorists, nor should they, despite that fact that many ignorant people attribute blame for 9/11 to all Muslims. They have nothing but a peaceful interest in building this mosque and no connection with these criminals whatsoever, and the best efforts of racists and demagogues everywhere haven't shown even a shred of evidence otherwise.

    It's akin to the bus boycott in Birmingham, and you, Zyphlin are saying the equivalent of "if they don't move to the back of the bus, they must be giant douches, flamingly ignorant, or dishonest assholes." Not so.



    The imam of this mosque blames the US for 911, won't call hammas a terrorist organization, and made excuses for islamisicts... how "brave"
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #219
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    1. some of you need to clean up your language, you're gross

    2. if cordoba really wants to promote better relations it probably shouldn't go around so openly provoking the overwhelming majority of its neighbors

    3. this mosque will never be built---if it could be up in a day, that'd be done, but it will take months, even years, to build this, and the outcry will get louder, the political heat will grow unendurable

    4. no mosque, yet still a big political price to pay for not opposing it, for appearing to sympathize with it, in open defiance of the heartfelt sentiments of the larger community

    party on, progressives!

  10. #220
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,945

    Re: Ground zero mosque wins key vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    OR

    They are brave people of faith who, fully aware that a certain small minded and bigoted segment of Americans would be up in arms and potentially violent about a mosque being built there
    First, you make the mistake of lumping together the segment that are bothered by this, which is decently sizable, and the segment that would act violently, which is ridiculously small.

    Second, The "small minded" or "bigoted" segment (Thank you by the way for your wonderful bigoted insult to anyone that dares disagree with you, well done) are the ones needing to have any "bridges" built to them as one does not need to "build bridges" to people who you've already reached. So if they know full well that its going to piss those people off, yet they still are claiming their purpose is to build bridges, then again they're either idiots or lying.

    or anywhere at all for that matter
    Yes, becuase we all know that there's been no mosques constructed since 9/11 anywhere in this country at all that hasn't turned into a national headline story.



    have decided to withstand the intimidation and hate coming from this unfortunate segment of Americans
    Of which is the ones whose proposed purpose of said building would be aiming at...you're just lending credit to my "lying or ignorant" argument.

    and build this mosque in an effort to increase tolerance and peace between the world's two largest religions.
    Increase it between who? The people who have no problem with Islam in any way shape or form and are perfectly fine with it? What's the point in that? What's the goal in that? What bridges are being built with that? "Hey, I got a great idea, I'm going to try to create new fans of the Redskins by preaching how great the Redskins are to other people that like the Redskins".

    The people needing an "increased" of tolerance and peace are the people who are relatively neutral or slightly negative about Islam or portions of Islam on up to people who flat out hate Islam. These people are the same group of people who, by the act of placing the Mosque where it is, you're actively pissing off and ostrecizing from the beginning.

    Seriously man, you're making my argument for me.

    They refuse to accept blame for the crimes of a few fringe terrorists, nor should they, despite that fact that many ignorant people attribute blame for 9/11 to all Muslims.
    Whose saying they should accept the blame for the crimes? I'm most certainly not and you are responding to me.

    I'm saying that its completely reasonable and understandable for people to have severe negative emotions occur within them when one places 9/11 and Islam together in a close proximity in ones mind due to the undeniable and unquestionable fact that ISLAM was instrumental in the occurance of 9/11. And, as such, because of that completely reasonable and understandable reaction, placing a Mosque...and not just any mosque, but a mosque dedicated to "outreach" meaning its continually making its presense known...within the shadow of the former Trade Centers is amazingly tactless. It is creating an atmosphere where those coming to mourn that devestating day are having emotional triggers that generate excessive negative feelings when its frankly not needed. Not to mention the very location of it HURTS their supposed cause of mending fences and building bridges and "out reach" BECAUSE it appears as nothing but Muslims being unempathetic to what helped cause that day which simply reinforces much of the antipathy that many people have wrongly towards the religion as a whole.

    Are ALL muslims terrorists? No. Are ALL muslims responsible for 9/11? No. Did Islam play a central role in 9/11? Absolutely.

    All alcohol isn't bad, all people who consume alcohol aren't criminals, but I wouldn't find it to be a tactful thing to build a Bru-Threw on the location of a massive traffic accident caused in large part by drunk driving.

    They have nothing but a peaceful interest in building this mosque and no connection with these criminals whatsoever, and the best efforts of racists and demagogues everywhere haven't shown even a shred of evidence otherwise.
    Oh look, more bigoted insults directed at anyone that dares disagree with you. So, lets chalk this up so far. "Anyone that disagree with Guy's stance on this are simple minded, bigoted, racist, demagogues". What an amazingly simple minded presentation of demagogury proclaiming your wonderfully stereotyped and over generalized bigoted argument. Bravo!

Page 22 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •