Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 201

Thread: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

  1. #141
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    First of all you have to find men that look and dress like the other Afghanistan
    men and have no base of operations, only hundreds of scattered caves and other concealed places all over the country. They hit and run and disappear into the night.

    ricksfolly
    They're not all that hard to find. They're the cats with the AK's and are most probably shooting at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #142
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Most of the folks that support us retreating from Iraq don't fully understand what, "ending the combat mission", really means
    It's supposed to mean we stop attacking the Sunni (our only established enemy), but habits are hard to stop.

    ricksfolly

  3. #143
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    I am pretty sure Iraq will go back to their old ways in the near future and all this work will have been for nothing.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

  4. #144
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Frankly, Vance, and I suspect that you and I agree on this one, turning over peacekeeping operations was an afterthought. I don't believe that the bush administration HAD an exit plan.
    I think they bowed to political pressure to bring the UN in. Huge mistake...and yes...we are on the same page. Thats probably my second biggest gripe about Bush. The combat ops worked just fine, even though we were fighting ourselves more than the enemy. But when the bombs stopped dropping...thats where they failed. Big time.

  5. #145
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Zyphlin, you are absolutely correct that the time table was negotiated under Bush, and he gets the credit(or blame depending on your point of view) and all Obama gets is credit(or blame) for following through on the negotiated agreement, which is pretty faint praise. Personally I don't much care who did it, it is the right thing to do, so kudo's to Bush(and I have said that before in this regard).
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #146
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Most of the folks that support us retreating from Iraq don't fully understand what, "ending the combat mission", really means
    I spent 7 trips in the middle east. We are getting out of there about 4 years later than we should have.

    Words like 'retreating' are inflammatory and the use obviously didnt involve much by way of 'thought' (oh look...I can be a dick too). Just what exactly are we (in your mind) retreating 'from'? Combat operations against Iraq ceased in ****ing 2003. We have been in a caretaker/training role for seven years. We arent "at war" with anyone.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I spent 7 trips in the middle east. We are getting out of there about 4 years later than we should have.

    Words like 'retreating' are inflammatory and the use obviously didnt involve much by way of 'thought' (oh look...I can be a dick too). Just what exactly are we (in your mind) retreating 'from'? Combat operations against Iraq ceased in ****ing 2003. We have been in a caretaker/training role for seven years. We arent "at war" with anyone.
    Boyfriend spent a year in Tikrit in 2007 and said almost exactly the same thing. Our presence there, at that time, was, in his words, "a massive cluster**** of stupidity."

    Do I blame our forces for that? Hell no. Our guys and gals did the best they could possibly do in a mission without clear goals and objectives for them to accomplish.

    I blame the people who put them there without a good idea of what they were supposed to accomplish, and how.

    And, for the record, Apdst is the only person in this thread who has referred to ending this as a "retreat."
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 08-03-10 at 07:54 PM.

  8. #148
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Boyfriend spent a year in Tikrit in 2007 and said almost exactly the same thing. Our presence there, at that time, was, in his words, "a massive cluster**** of stupidity."

    Do I blame our forces for that? Hell no. Our guys and gals did the best they could possibly do in a mission without clear goals and objectives for them to accomplish.

    I blame the people who put them there without a good idea of what they were supposed to accomplish, and how.

    And, for the record, Apdst is the only person in this thread who has referred to ending this as a "retreat."
    The 'retreat' rhetoric is just plain annoying. I dont know of anyone that has served there (including my son who is there now) that sees any value in remaining in Iraq at this time. This war was fought and won. We should have told the Iraqi government once they established their government that we would be gone in 3 years. Plenty of time to stand up a police force and train up a military. It would have required the investment of the Iraqi people to set their own house in order. It would have created far less an adversarial relationship with the people. And you know what...maybe they would have just let Al Qaida sweep in and take over. Im actually fine with that...if you dont have the balls to stop terrorists blowing up your own men women and children in souks and malls...then enjoy the ****ing barbeque bitches.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The 'retreat' rhetoric is just plain annoying. I dont know of anyone that has served there (including my son who is there now) that sees any value in remaining in Iraq at this time. This war was fought and won. We should have told the Iraqi government once they established their government that we would be gone in 3 years. Plenty of time to stand up a police force and train up a military. It would have required the investment of the Iraqi people to set their own house in order. It would have created far less an adversarial relationship with the people. And you know what...maybe they would have just let Al Qaida sweep in and take over. Im actually fine with that...if you dont have the balls to stop terrorists blowing up your own men women and children in souks and malls...then enjoy the ****ing barbeque bitches.
    I think our jobs have turned us into social darwinists, Vance.

  10. #150
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Zyphlin, you are absolutely correct that the time table was negotiated under Bush, and he gets the credit(or blame depending on your point of view) and all Obama gets is credit(or blame) for following through on the negotiated agreement, which is pretty faint praise. Personally I don't much care who did it, it is the right thing to do, so kudo's to Bush(and I have said that before in this regard).
    Thanks, and you're spot on as I said...Bush gets it both. Just like you can't proclaim this as being some grand Obama plan and time table and thank god he did it cause we'd never have gotten out under Bush or a Republican, you also can't turn around and start condemning Obama about this when you weren't on here raising hell about Bush when he MADE this plan and still rallying primarily against him since Obama's just following through with what Bush made essentially law. It cuts both ways, unquestionably.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •