Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 201

Thread: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Did I say, "deaths", or did I say, "casualties"? You do know the difference?
    Definition: a member of the armed forces lost to service through death, wounds, sickness, capture, or because his or her whereabouts or condition cannot be determined.

    We had 145 combat deaths, one MIA, and 148 accidental deaths.

    Please feel free to provide the source of your 1200 figure.

  2. #92
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Evidence? Gulf War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    Your numbers aren't even close.


    1,200 kuwati's were killed.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    1,200 kuwati's were killed.
    That's not quite the same as what Apdst is claiming, is it?

  4. #94
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,997

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Okay this makes alot more sense, when explained like that it seems like something with a goal, instead of just empty rhetoric. Though I still think we went about it the wrong way. Invading, occupying,and nation building isn't the best way to stop terrorists. If we hunted down, and just destroyed the terrorist cells individually it would of been a much more effective, and cost efficient(in both money, and lives) way to accomplish the same goal. Also I really doubt recruitment for such cells would be anywhere near as high as it is now.
    You actually highlight and issue I have, and that's the notion many people seem to have that by supporting the idea of a "War on Terror" somehow one must be blanket supporting of everything done during it and how its done.

    I actually agree with you, I think the method they attempted was a failed one. My personal feelings would be that I'd rather have bombed the hell out of Afghanistan, made it an example that if anyone wishes to sponsor this as a state again expect similar abject and utter destruction, and from that point forward deal with this with special forces and intelligence agency blackops, amending our standing rules on assassination if need be specifically with regards to non-political figures noted as enemies of the state. At the same time, that line of tactics would likely do little with regards to the propoganda, as I'm sure many would see the notion in Afghanistan as heartless (While currently complaining about nation building) and would complain about the blackops as being fascist and setting precedent for them to do it to our own citizens or such other foolishness.

  5. #95
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Definition: a member of the armed forces lost to service through death, wounds, sickness, capture, or because his or her whereabouts or condition cannot be determined.

    We had 145 combat deaths, one MIA, and 148 accidental deaths.

    Please feel free to provide the source of your 1200 figure.
    Combat deaths: 148

    Other: 235

    Wounded: 849

    United States casualties of war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Look as those figures, then re-read your own definition of casualty, where it says: "a member of the armed forces lost to service through death, wounds, sickness, capture", then add those numbers up and see what you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    My personal feelings would be that I'd rather have bombed the hell out of Afghanistan, made it an example that if anyone wishes to sponsor this as a state again expect similar abject and utter destruction, and from that point forward deal with this with special forces and intelligence agency blackops, amending our standing rules on assassination if need be specifically with regards to non-political figures noted as enemies of the state. At the same time, that line of tactics would likely do little with regards to the propoganda, as I'm sure many would see the notion in Afghanistan as heartless (While currently complaining about nation building) and would complain about the blackops as being fascist and setting precedent for them to do it to our own citizens or such other foolishness.
    I totally agree with your position here. We should have pounded the **** out of Afghanistan, from a distance, and made an example of them as how any nation who shelters terrorists who attack the U.S. will be treated. That would have sent a much clearer message to the world.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Look as those figures, then re-read your own definition of casualty, where it says: "a member of the armed forces lost to service through death, wounds, sickness, capture", then add those numbers up and see what you get.
    Most of us use the term casualties to refer to those LOST in combat, not injuries. Based upon that definition of the term, how many casualties have we had in Iraq?

    See, I saw what you did there. You used the term casualty to inflate the numbers for Desert Storm.

    Using the same standards for the Iraq War, our casualty figure becomes 34,469.

    Still want to play this game?

    See, you relied upon no one questioning your figure. 1,200 doesn't sound that bad when compared against 4,200 over 8 years.

    But the comparison isn't between 1,200 and 4,200. It's between 145 and 1,200, or between 1,200 and 34,000.

    Nice try though.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 08-03-10 at 02:36 PM.

  8. #98
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,704

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I totally agree with your position here. We should have pounded the **** out of Afghanistan, from a distance, and made an example of them as how any nation who shelters terrorists who attack the U.S. will be treated. That would have sent a much clearer message to the world.
    I personally would have preferred to see the 'peace' managed radically differently. I think we should have given BOTH Afghanistan and Iraq a 3 year timetable.

    Taht being said...the war in Afghanistan, like the war in iraq, was over in a rapid hurry. They cant have been defined in any other way than as striking successes. The problem was not the war. Its what happened AFTER the war. We listened to everyone and decided to turn over the peace keeping mission to UN control.

  9. #99
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    That's not quite the same as what Apdst is claiming, is it?
    No, it's not and I don't think he's claiming that it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #100
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: US combat mission in Iraq to end on schedule Aug 31: Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You actually highlight and issue I have, and that's the notion many people seem to have that by supporting the idea of a "War on Terror" somehow one must be blanket supporting of everything done during it and how its done.

    I actually agree with you, I think the method they attempted was a failed one. My personal feelings would be that I'd rather have bombed the hell out of Afghanistan, made it an example that if anyone wishes to sponsor this as a state again expect similar abject and utter destruction, and from that point forward deal with this with special forces and intelligence agency blackops, amending our standing rules on assassination if need be specifically with regards to non-political figures noted as enemies of the state. At the same time, that line of tactics would likely do little with regards to the propoganda, as I'm sure many would see the notion in Afghanistan as heartless (While currently complaining about nation building) and would complain about the blackops as being fascist and setting precedent for them to do it to our own citizens or such other foolishness.
    Go back in time, and start implementing this plan at the beginning of 02, and I think the world would be a much better place.
    Last edited by Your Star; 08-03-10 at 03:03 PM.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •