Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 124

Thread: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

  1. #41
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    I would say sitting on their chest is fine as means to restrain the person. Unless you weight 400 lb and would likely kill the person by doing so
    Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on the crime and depends on the state's citizen's arrest statutes. If you broke ribs, you could be in a lot of trouble. You don't have to weigh 400 pounds to kill someone by sitting on their chest.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #42
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    This is basically Batman..err vigilante justice.
    Not quite. Vigilante justice is when regular joes are patrolling the neighborhood, looking for scumbags. In this case, it's self-defense and defense of private property.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #43
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I see your point. But you'd better shoot his wife, kids and parents as well. People think it's just a simple cake walk if they shoot someone. It's not. Be prepared for legal expenses to defend yourself against possible criminal and civil charges. Happens allll the time. (Yeah, I know -- I'd rather be judged by 12..... Me, too.)
    If it's on your own property in my state, deadly force is legal.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #44
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-12 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    56

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    Are you seriously suggesting that because an elderly woman used poor judgement in a non-existent crime, nobody else should try to stop crime just in case we are using the same poor judgement? One time a person tried to save a child from drowning and instead drowned himself, pulling the child down with him. So if we see a child drowning, should we just stand by and hope a lifeguard gets there in time?

    Also, due process relates to actions taken when a person is suspected of having committed a crime, NOT actions taken to stop somebody in the middle of committing a crime. So this is not in any way an example of due process or the lack of it.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. -Thomas Jefferson

  5. #45
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    I really doubt the men actually pointed a gun at or handcuffed him. I'm thinking the Dupree is mentally unstable and is trying to make his story sound better in a half-baked attempt to make a few bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    It doesn't matter to me if the guy suing is a convict or not... we should always be vigilant that our authorities are not overstepping or abusing their powers. I am shocked to see people here saying that convicts should have no right to raise complaints or take officers to court. Just what kind of dictatorship do you want us to live in? I find such claims laughable.... just like how cops in various districts are now considering video cameras to be "weapons". If you have nothing to hide and you're just doing your job, then a camera won't make a difference.

    If there are abuses and there is evidence, it should be brought up.

  7. #47
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by rudygetsplenty View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that because an elderly woman used poor judgement in a non-existent crime, nobody else should try to stop crime just in case we are using the same poor judgement?
    You shouldn't use deadly force unless another life is in danger.

    Quote Originally Posted by rudygetsplenty View Post
    One time a person tried to save a child from drowning and instead drowned himself, pulling the child down with him. So if we see a child drowning, should we just stand by and hope a lifeguard gets there in time?
    Not even close to the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by rudygetsplenty View Post
    Also, due process relates to actions taken when a person is suspected of having committed a crime, NOT actions taken to stop somebody in the middle of committing a crime. So this is not in any way an example of due process or the lack of it.
    If you shoot someone unnecessarily when your life is not in danger, you are passing a vigilante sentence on the suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #48
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    It doesn't matter to me if the guy suing is a convict or not... we should always be vigilant that our authorities are not overstepping or abusing their powers. I am shocked to see people here saying that convicts should have no right to raise complaints or take officers to court. Just what kind of dictatorship do you want us to live in? I find such claims laughable.... just like how cops in various districts are now considering video cameras to be "weapons". If you have nothing to hide and you're just doing your job, then a camera won't make a difference.

    If there are abuses and there is evidence, it should be brought up.
    You do realize the issue wasnt cops but civilians right?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #49
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You are allowed to use reasonable force to defend property. You're not allowed to tackle him, break his hip, kick him in the head and sit on his chest until a copper comes. (Not saying those injuries done in this case, just an illustration.) You'd better familiarize yourself with your state's citizen's arrest statutes. Your state may not even allow them....much less injuring someone in the process.
    If his hip was broken during the fall resulting from the tackle... so be it. It wasn't done with the intent to break said hip. If you kicked him in the head because after the fall he tried to bite you. So be it. If you sat on his chest to prevent him from getting up until the police arrives... So be it.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Burglar sues men who captured him, claims rough citizens arrest

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on the crime and depends on the state's citizen's arrest statutes. If you broke ribs, you could be in a lot of trouble. You don't have to weigh 400 pounds to kill someone by sitting on their chest.
    You keep throwing up the statutes.
    There is one problem with this.
    Who decides when to prosecute a case? Why the district attorney's office of course.
    Most district attorney's also won't prosecute because they don't want to discourage people from defending themselves.

    It would have to be an extreme case, not a case of a guy sitting on an escaping felon and the felon having some broken ribs in the process.

    As far as a civil trial.... most juries wouldn't reward a crook jack ****.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •