(1) medical monitoring and treatment benefits to eligible emergency responders and recovery and cleanup workers who responded to the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001; and
(2) initial health evaluation, monitoring, and treatment benefits to residents and other building occupants and area workers who were directly impacted and adversely affected by such attacks. Requires the WTC program administrator to:
(1) implement a quality assurance program;
(2) establish the WTC Health Program Scientific/Technical Advisory Committee;
(3) establish the WTC Responders Steering Committee and the WTC Community Program Steering Committee;
(4) provide for education and outreach on services under the WTC program;
(5) provide for the uniform collection of data related to WTC-related health conditions;
(6) conduct research on physical and mental health conditions that may be related to the September 11 terrorist attacks; and
(7) extend and expand arrangements with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to provide for the World Trade Center Health Registry. Authorizes the administrator to make grants to the Department to address mental health needs relating to the terrorist attacks.Amends the Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act to:
(1) make individuals eligible for compensation under the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund of 2001 for harm as a result of debris removal; and
(2) extend the deadline for making a claim for compensation.
nothing there that troubles me, as i do think we should FINALLY help those 9/11 rescuers who are facing multiple health problems. many were falsely told that the area was not hazardous to work in and they thus exposed their health to harm by believing rudy julieannie's people. the government is culpable
but the GOP wanted to take a straight forward bill and introduce an amendment which would say any illegal alien who was a 9/11 rescuer would be denied access to the provisions of the bill
that was a transparent attempt by the GOP to portray the dems as a party willing to sell out the hispanic copmmunity like the GOP is inclined to do
the dems did not bite
but to avoid the amendment they imposed a rule which required a two thirds vote for passage .... as you will see in the video below, 94% of the dems voted for helping the 9/11 rescurers ... the republicans, not so much
but don't take my word for it, see king, the minority whip, get his ass handed to him by Weiner:
New York Dem on rampage after GOP blocks help for 9/11 heroes | Raw Story
As well as any and all amendments added to the Bill.
Or would you prefer the Communist system where a motion is put forward and all the (elected) members then have to vote for it.
Naturally there are people making note of anyone who does not vote for the motion.
The non voters are removed from the chamber and taken away to be questioned by KGB or FSB secret police, after which they are shot.
Last edited by jujuman13; 07-31-10 at 05:32 PM.
I had to dig through a few pages of Democrat talking points to get something from the GOP side of this issue. Not the fake outrage being pushed by the MSM with disgusting vindictiveness.
House GOP leaders: 9/11 first responders aid bill 'a massive new entitlement program' - On Congress - POLITICO.comAnd it’s all paid for by closing a tax loophole on foreign companies with U.S. subsidiaries, Democrats said.
But according to Republicans, it’s a job-killing growth of government that wou;d create a new entitlement and waste taxpayer dollars.
The bill, if passed, would reopen the Victims Compensation Fund until 2031 — instead of litigation, victims could try to get money from the fund. Republicans are calling the extension “well beyond what is needed to take care of latent claims,” according to a policy statement from the GOP.
“Republicans continue to believe that those who responded to the [World Trade Center] attack should get the treatment and liability protection they need because they dutifully answered a call for help,” the policy statement reads.
But this bill, according to Republicans, “creates a massive new entitlement program, exposes taxpayers to increased litigation and is ‘paid for’ with tax increases and potential job losses.”
Official GOP Stance on the issue, and makes a much different case then the BS we see spun here.
Last edited by Renae; 07-31-10 at 05:45 PM.
⚧ C.T.L.W. You figure it out
My Endo doc went over my blood work. "I see your estrogen level is now at 315, do you feel like you have too much Estrogen now?"
I told her "... N... N.. No..." and started crying.
Take this one for example. How in hell do you verify that a person was actually at ground zero during the specified time period?(1) medical monitoring and treatment benefits to eligible emergency responders and recovery and cleanup workers who responded to the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001
What's going to happen when some guy, who worked for Joe's Meat House--where the meat's cheap--in Linden, NJ and just happened to be near Ground Zero and volunteered to help shows up with a cough, wanting some of this 7 billion?
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why these folks aren't going to be covered under the brand new, wonderful Obamacare.
Suspending the rules normally is used to quickly pass non-controversial bills; you know, like paying for health care for 9-11 first responders.
The procedure normally works except when only eleven Republicans stand up and support the heroes who rushed to aid Americans on the worse day in our nation's recent history. It is shameful that so few Republicans were willing to support them.
“Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001
Where did it ever say, promote for the common defence, and provide the general Welfare..... Please don't mix up the two....We the People of the United States,... provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare....