Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 91

Thread: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

  1. #31
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I disagree with you only on one point. There were atrocities committed during the Revolutionary War. However, these acts were committed by the British.
    I am 100% sure that at least one incident of atrocity (albeit possibly on only a small scale) was committed by the forces of revolution.

    Even though I have no info one way or the other, the laws of probability indicate that it had to happen at least once.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #32
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I disagree with you only on one point. There were atrocities committed during the Revolutionary War. However, these acts were committed by the British.
    no, they were committed by both sides
    the sons of liberty (samuel adams) was notorious for its treatment of loyalists
    Washington countermanded an order his general had issued in new york, thereby allowing the loyalists to continue to be ridden on rails thru the streets
    after the waxaws massacre, the patriot militia responded in kind and killed british and loyalist forces who had surrendered
    that was true at cowpens and at kings mountain
    tar and feather is a term which originated from the practice administered by the patriot's toward the loyalists
    yes, our freedom fighters did their share of terroristic acts. but because they won the war they are recognized as patriots
    to segue back toward the thread topic, not long ago we armed and supplied a then termed 'freedom fighter' who was at the time destroying the russian army; his name is osama bin laden. notice how we refer to him now. but be assured, he is recognized by the underclass of islamic society as their own George Washington
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    no, they were committed by both sides
    the sons of liberty (samuel adams) was notorious for its treatment of loyalists
    Washington countermanded an order his general had issued in new york, thereby allowing the loyalists to continue to be ridden on rails thru the streets
    after the waxaws massacre, the patriot militia responded in kind and killed british and loyalist forces who had surrendered
    that was true at cowpens and at kings mountain
    tar and feather is a term which originated from the practice administered by the patriot's toward the loyalists
    yes, our freedom fighters did their share of terroristic acts. but because they won the war they are recognized as patriots
    to segue back toward the thread topic, not long ago we armed and supplied a then termed 'freedom fighter' who was at the time destroying the russian army; his name is osama bin laden. notice how we refer to him now. but be assured, he is recognized by the underclass of islamic society as their own George Washington
    Funny Bubba, you quote Dana but none of the numerous posters that showed your comparison is hogwash.

    Again, we ask, show examples of the founders advocating attacks on civilians.

    Show examples of the founders calling for the end of existence for Britain.

    Treating enemy troops badly is not "terrorism".

    How about you actually address Don's points, or would that be too difficult?

    Or continue to just ignore it. Hope you don't mind that if you continue to do that I'll be enjoying pointing out your support for Hitler. Cause you know, Obama is just like Hitler. At least as comparable as your pathetic attempt at linking the founders to terrorists anyways.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Almost every suicide attack since the 1980s has been in response to foreign occupation, they are tactful for particular ends. Its not about raw kill counts in mad vengeance its about political efficacy.

  5. #35
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    no, they were committed by both sides
    The sons of liberty (Samuel Adams) was notorious for its treatment of loyalists
    Washington countermanded an order his general had issued in New York, thereby allowing the loyalists to continue to be ridden on rails thru the streets
    After the waxaws massacre, the patriot militia responded in kind and killed British and loyalist forces who had surrendered
    That was true at cowpens and at kings mountain
    tar and feather is a term which originated from the practice administered by the patriot's toward the loyalists
    Yes, our freedom fighters did their share of terroristic acts. but because they won the war they are recognized as patriots
    To segue back toward the thread topic, not long ago we armed and supplied a then termed 'freedom fighter' who was at the time destroying the Russian army; his name is Osama bin laden. Notice how we refer to him now. But be assured, he is recognized by the underclass of Islamic society as their own George Washington
    While yes, I'm sure both sides (and some only vaguely related groups/persons) committed acts similar to those terrorists might do, equating the two is, as has been pointed out, inaccurate.

    The acts may be similar, but fundamental differences exist.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #36
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm confused...

    Where did the Founding Father's advocate attacking civilians, or firing randomly into populations without a care for who it hit as long as it caused political change, or called for the destruction or death of the entirity of the British?

    You know, because you're ignorantly attempting to compare the Founding Father's to Hamas in the same way people compare Obama to Hitler, I was just wondering if you could clear those issues up.

    Thanks!
    Well, they did tar and feather loyalists and the Boston tea party was a terrorist-like act, destruction of property.

    Just because they did not do the exact same thing in different time periods does not mean that you cannot draw any comparison.

    The tactics employed by the American forces were sometimes underhanded and not the acceptable means at the time. They would snipe soldiers, harass them while they were on march, use guerilla tactics and these were almost "terrorist-like". British officers were also sniped at. I believe George Washington himself was caught under the barrel of a soldier and was not killed because the soldier could not go through with it. The prevailing method was that you stand and fight properly and fairly if you wanted to fight. I'm sure people in this time period were appalled at these new tactics just as people in our time period are appalled at attacking civilians.

  7. #37
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    Santayana was right. and so much proof of it is evident on these boards:


    one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter
    our founding fathers, that exhalted group who fought for and won America's freedom from an oppressive enemy, would have been viewed as terrorists - IF they had not prevailed
    it was this collection of "terrorists" who crafted our Constitution, Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights, which is why i have to scoff at seeing such nonsense as "... they don't know how to govern like civilized people ... that will lead to a government that harbors and encourages terrorist activities ..."
    By that logic, we shouldn't have killed Nazis during WW2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #38
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    Well, they did tar and feather loyalists and the Boston tea party was a terrorist-like act, destruction of property.
    So you are trying to make an equivalency between this and firing rockets into crowded cities to kill indiscriminantly?

    Tarring and Feathering during the revolution wasn't pretty, but there are also no reported deaths during that time as it was often done on top of the victims' clothes-- it was done to humiliate, not to kill mass numbers of civilians indiscriminantly, and there's no evidence it was sanctioned by the founding fathers, which was the claim made. Mobs did it.

    The tactics employed by the American forces were sometimes underhanded and not the acceptable means at the time. They would snipe soldiers, harass them while they were on march, use guerilla tactics and these were almost "terrorist-like". British officers were also sniped at. I believe George Washington himself was caught under the barrel of a soldier and was not killed because the soldier could not go through with it. The prevailing method was that you stand and fight properly and fairly if you wanted to fight. I'm sure people in this time period were appalled at these new tactics just as people in our time period are appalled at attacking civilians.
    Again, there's no equivalency that can be made here. What you describe was not acceptable to the standard sensibilities of warfare at the time, which counted the life of an aristocratic officer as inherrently more valuable than an infantryman in the line, but they were also violated quite often in european wars and all the targets were military. Complaints from the time were distributed as propaganda against the colonial revolutionaries. None of it was terrorism, not even close.
    Last edited by other; 08-03-10 at 07:08 AM.

  9. #39
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    no, they were committed by both sides
    the sons of liberty (samuel adams) was notorious for its treatment of loyalists
    Washington countermanded an order his general had issued in new york, thereby allowing the loyalists to continue to be ridden on rails thru the streets
    after the waxaws massacre, the patriot militia responded in kind and killed british and loyalist forces who had surrendered
    that was true at cowpens and at kings mountain
    tar and feather is a term which originated from the practice administered by the patriot's toward the loyalists
    yes, our freedom fighters did their share of terroristic acts. but because they won the war they are recognized as patriots
    to segue back toward the thread topic, not long ago we armed and supplied a then termed 'freedom fighter' who was at the time destroying the russian army; his name is osama bin laden. notice how we refer to him now. but be assured, he is recognized by the underclass of islamic society as their own George Washington
    see the post I made above. Also, the killing of POWs has been a common feature of warfare by all people--and was common until very recently. It is wrong, but it's also not terrorism.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Israeli airstrike kills senior Hamas rocket maker

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the original suicide bombers
    OH stop... propaganda is not needed or welcomed here.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •